• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did the Alta Audio Adam speaker make it in to this thread yet?

Hoo-boy! Those have to bee some of the messiest measurements I can remember seeing!

Two under-damped transmission line resonances, looks like. Very impressively chaotic, you normally don't see TL resonances in the mid/treble.

"The Alta Audio Adam's measured performance is a mixed bag. The enclosure is well-damped"

"The resonances in the transmission lines that load the midrange unit and woofer may look worse than they sound"

Hmmm...what does damping do in a transmission line...

Chris Brunhaver

Audio Company
Two under-damped transmission line resonances, looks like. Very impressively chaotic, you normally don't see TL resonances in the mid/treble.

"The Alta Audio Adam's measured performance is a mixed bag. The enclosure is well-damped"

"The resonances in the transmission lines that load the midrange unit and woofer may look worse than they sound"

Hmmm...what does damping do in a transmission line...

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It always amuses me that their reviewers can clearly hear the difference between cables and all manner of snake oil, but never egregious issues found in measurements. If only there was a simple conclusion to be drawn from this.

Did you read the review?

Perhaps the reviewers don't really know what they are talking about?

I know it's typical for ASR to dunk on subjective reviewers, and never give any ground, but they (good ones) actually often get things right, and do identify issues.

For instance in this review of the Alta Audio Adam speaker, JA's measurements identify various resonances, especially around the 100 Hz and below area.

Did the reviewer, Rogier Bakel note any implications in the sound? Yes! First he talked about how deep and weighty the sound was overall. But also noted some issues:

When, after a few days, my giddiness made way for a more analytical mood, one aspect of the Adams gave me pause. It seemed to me that the double bass on Eric Truffaz's "Arroyo," from Bending New Corners (16/44.1 FLAC, Parlophone (France)/Tidal), was bigger than it ought to be, exhibiting a bit too much energy in the sub-50Hz region. Oddly, that excess energy was absent on most bass-heavy material. About 75% of tracks I know to be well-recorded sounded foundationally appropriate—make that beautiful—on the Adams. But a minority of recordings that behaved well on almost all speakers I've had in my room sounded overly muscular on the Adams. Not bloated—not slow, flabby, or tonally false—just too much bass.

I'm not a fan of lean-sounding or polite speakers. I consider it a good thing that Levy designed this speaker to avoid such a signature. But did he overshoot? The Truffaz track would suggest so. And even with custom room correction engaged on my Anthem STR integrated amp, I heard the same quality on Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" from Heart Shaped World (16/44.1 FLAC, Reprise/Qobuz), Cyro Baptista's "Dansa" from Vira Loucos (16/44.1 FLAC, Avant/Tidal), and others.

Similarly, Herb Reichert reviewed the stand mounted Alta Audio Alyssa loudspeaker and had similar impressions: He noted lots of "energizing bass power" but also some issues with music. Female vocals were fine but:

Ry Cooder's familiar voice was enjoyably natural in tone, but there was some blurring and loss of intelligibility at the lower end of his vocal range. His backup singers, whose voices reached further into the bass and upper bass, were puffed and indistinct. On "We Shall Be Happy," the bass trombone, pump-organ, and bass drum lacked definition.

And he remarked that comparing the Alyssa speaker to others on hand, the others resolved detail better in the lower male vocal region.

And in JA's measurements you can see the same type of resonances and "hyping" of that region:

Where JA says:

However, the nearfield outputs of the woofer and port (red trace) are afflicted with severe resonant peaks, the two lowest in frequency coinciding with the frequencies of the discontinuities in the impedance traces. This behavior is most likely due to pipe resonances in the port and/or internal airspace and results in peaks and dips in the complex sum of the woofer and port outputs, taking into account acoustic phase and the different distance of each radiator from a nominal farfield microphone position (fig.3, black trace below 300Hz). I would expect this behavior to color the sound of male vocals.

So, yeah, easy to snipe at the subjective reviewers. But I've noticed they often identify issues and some speaker characteristics that show up in stereophile's measurements. They have listened to a great many speakers in the same room, with many of the same test tracks they are familiar with, so it's not surprising some can identify real differences between the loudspeakers.

Also, I've seen some ASR members dismissively trying to diagnose how a speaker would sound from what they considered "bad measurements" and they did a pretty poor job predicting how the speaker actually sounded in real life (I've heard the speakers in question).

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
JA summarises concisely without recourse to subjective language.
Keith

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
JA summarises concisely without recourse to subjective language.
Keith

But the subjective descriptions can tell the reader more. JA says male vocals will sound "colored" but that doesn't say in what way. Herb described the actual sonic effect of that coloration, both on vocals and on instruments in that range.

There IS information in (many) subjective reviews - even if lots of ASR folks don't care or go looking for it and prefer measurements.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Isn’t knowing the speaker is coloured enough, I would know not to pursue that product.
Keith

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But the subjective descriptions can tell the reader more. JA says male vocals will sound "colored" but that doesn't say in what way. Herb described the actual sonic effect of that coloration, both on vocals and on instruments in that range.

There IS information in (many) subjective reviews - even if lots of ASR folks don't care or go looking for it and prefer measurements.
you're right but in this case we have the measurements too.

What if we didn't? Maybe they have them set up wrong, some other problem and it isn't the speaker?

There's no cross check that the reviewer didn't screw it up. You wouldn't expect them too but we all make mistakes.

Plus many of these reviewers use and promote expensive foo - so can I really trust that they know what they're doing?

If there's only a subjective review then I could end up passing a speaker system over when in fact I would like them.

Over the years you must have read some bad subjective reviews of speakers that you like, I know I have.

CapMan

Major Contributor
And he remarked that comparing the Alyssa speaker to others on hand, the others resolved detail better in the lower male vocal region.

But isn't the fundamental issue here that our aural memory is pitifully short - so how meaningful is a comparison to "other speakers on hand" ? How did he do the comparison - did he have an autochanger like Revel ;)

Was the comparison side by side and immediate or over many days with gaps. I just don't think it's very helpful. Just a personal POV.

Maybe it is useful to talk in general terms about the tonality etc (e.g. Erin) but when we get to things like : 'the third trombone sounded displaced from the rest of the brass section and appeared somewhat flabby when moving through the scherzo passage" - I mean I made that up, but it's in the same style.

How is it helpful or relevant??

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn’t knowing the speaker is coloured enough, I would know not to pursue that product.
Keith

For you yes, not for some others.

I, along with many other audiophiles, are interested in how different speakers sound, not just on speakers that measure to one specific ideal criteria. That's one of the groups that mags like Stereophile servs, and I'm glad they do.

CapMan

Major Contributor
I, along with many other audiophiles, are interested in how different speakers sound,
But the descriptions are often so nuanced and specific as to be meaningless. Any way, each to their own. If it works for you it’s none of my business .

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
you're right but in this case we have the measurements too.

Yes, for me the ideal review is subjective and also with measurements.

Plus many of these reviewers use and promote expensive foo - so can I really trust that they know what they're doing?

Given your suspicions, I can see why you wouldn't put any credence in subjective reviewers. I read them for entertainment, but also find some of the descriptions perceptive and informative (when I've had experience with the product).

But isn't the fundamental issue here that our aural memory is pitifully short - so how meaningful is a comparison to "other speakers on hand" ? How did he do the comparison - did he have an autochanger like Revel ;)
Was the comparison side by side and immediate or over many days with gaps. I just don't think it's very helpful. Just a personal POV.

Each reviewer identified sonic characteristics, including colorations in the bass regions that showed up in measurements, without a revel switcher. And they, especially Herb, described to the reader the type of sonic, subjective effect this has on voices and instruments in that affected region. That's information that the measurements don't just "tell you" UNLESS perhaps you have tons of experience correlating speaker measurements to their sonic characteristics playing music. But most audiophiles don't have that type of professional or DIY-type experience. So it's helpful when someone translates the measurements to "what it sounds like and why you might care." And that's what subjective reviewers do, even often when measurements aren't available.

I've said many times before: the strategy of only looking at measurements, and winnowing down your speaker choices based on "good measurements" is obviously a very reasonable approach. There's not a thing I have to say against anyone choosing that rational route for their purchases.

I only try to make the case for why subjective reports and reviews can be useful for me, and many other audiophiles. Because in that gig people are looking at wide variety of speakers and not just going "good" or "bad" based on measurements, but "this is how music sounds through X, and how it sounds through Y." Which serves the more open-ended interests of some audiophiles. And this means the subjective review crowd CAN be attuned to detailing the type of sonic traits that I might very much covet, which would not be bothered with on a forum like this.

For instance, when I first encountered my current speakers in an audio show then an audio store, some sonic traits immediately jumped out and had me super excited, much more than most speakers I listen to. One trait was subtle but very particular: a super smoothness that, in subjective terms, seemed like a "lash of hash or grain" to the sound and a sort of "black background" effect. That is simply what came to mind when I heard them, as well as other traits, with all my favourite tracks. Having discovered this brand first in hearing it for myself, I looked up reviews and found that almost every one spoke about the particular sonic attributes I felt I heard. It's the type of stuff, and language that people attracted to ASR will say "what is that? Flowery B.S.? Just show me the measurements!" But it's some very particular qualities that some audiophiles listen for, and care about, that I'm confident would go unremarked upon here. Not because people couldn't hear it, but because it's the type of stuff I don't see people discussing here, since it's more about 'does it measure well against THIS curve or not?' type discussions.

ASR self selects for a certain type, I think, in terms of the engineering "more comfortable with numbers, not subjective language" type. But some of us are maybe wired a bit different and really enjoy the exchange of subjective impressions, and the attempt to describe sound in words, which can actually be informative. And I can see some of that information in the review quotes I gave.

Herb has also had in for review both Joseph Audio and Harbeth speakers, both of which I've owned. In his Joseph audio review he compared the traits of the Joseph speakers to the Harbeth and he NAILED exactly the differences I heard between them, precisely the differences that stuck out to me as an owner. Again, that can be informative...IF one cares about information in that form.

Cheers.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps the reviewers don't really know what they are talking about?
This was meant as a general hypothesis to be entertained about subjective reviews in audio publications, when their gushing rhetoric seems at odds with measured performance.

And in other news: Matt Hooper likes subjective reviews when he likes the reviewers. There, I've saved you hours of reading.

Putter

Forum Donor
This was meant as a general hypothesis to be entertained about subjective reviews in audio publications, when their gushing rhetoric seems at odds with measured performance.

And in other news: Matt Hooper likes subjective reviews when he likes the reviewers. There, I've saved you hours of reading.
This reminds me of the advice that you should pick equipment based on finding a reviewer whose sonic tastes are similar to yours. How you do that is beyond me. Maybe they like small combo jazz, but they're more excited about the piano and you're more into the sax sound. Or to beat another dead horse, the importance of equipment matching; this NAD has a smooth sound which will help calm down the excitable sound of the Klipsch speaker, but may not mesh with the refined sound of this phono cartridge.:rolleyes:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, for me the ideal review is subjective and also with measurements.

Given your suspicions, I can see why you wouldn't put any credence in subjective reviewers. I read them for entertainment, but also find some of the descriptions perceptive and informative (when I've had experience with the product).
I don't put zero credence in them - there are a couple of reviewers whose opinion I would pay attention to - although would not take as gospel.

I have a copy of the Stereophile review of my 'daily' speakers and it's quite uncanny, I agree with pretty much every word.

But that review is from 20 years ago. Much has changed and a lot of speaker reviews no longer contain any useful commentary but are full of nonsense about the 'emotion'.

A few weeks ago I was looking for a (with measurements) review of some Mission speakers from early 1990s and found one by Stereophile. I was struck by how different the style and content were from modern reviews. I was going to start a thread about how subjective speaker reviews have changed over the years, with that review and a current one as comparison. I might do that this weekend.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Svet Angelov

I, for one, find Matt's comments a breath of fresh air and believe we shouldn't be too ingrained in our own objectivity. As is with a lot of things, the goldilocks zone is the best place to stand in.

I wish more reviewers were like mr. Atkinson and Erin. Maybe more so the latter. Being able to accurately translate sound and measurements into words is quite a feat.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hi-Fi News Golden ear T-66
IMG_3488.jpeg

Keith

Top Bottom