• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
OK, found the per-source-volume enable on Android.
Also noticed Wiim pushed the app update and no longer has USB as a source option. Still took 20+ minutes before the USB content showed up in Home Media Share for me, despite having only 40 song files (have been using very small folders while I continue "testing" the intermittent USB problem).

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
Sadly with my large collection it still takes along time then crashes the App after about 62,000 files - so I guess they still haven;t fixed the out of memory bug.
Have you tried indexing w/ a third party app on a PC and then inserting the USB? There is some discussion/guidance on that approach on the Wiim forums. Apparently Wiim is using a standard method/format, so you can do the work on a different machine and then rename the index file to what Wiim expects.

jamington2004

On Android.
I use HDMI and Spotify connect.
When I switch between them, it remembers the last volume level on each separate input.
That’s a shame I was hoping to be able to set the gain higher for my optical input, but have the same level on the slider.
I just don’t like the idea of having it set to 80/90% volume it worries me :)
But I guess it saves the issue of volume jumping too high or low when switching so I shouldn’t grumble

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have you tried indexing w/ a third party app on a PC and then inserting the USB? There is some discussion/guidance on that approach on the Wiim forums. Apparently Wiim is using a standard method/format, so you can do the work on a different machine and then rename the index file to what Wiim expects.
Yes with an older Firmware I indexed the complete collection on my Mac using MiniDLNA and it worked fine for a number of weeks (you have to match the 'path' and create the appropriate folders but its not that difficult). But then I think they reimplemented the indexing and since then it has not worked, even after taking it back out of the WiiMAmp and reindexing it again with the same process.

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
Yes with an older Firmware I indexed the complete collection on my Mac using MiniDLNA and it worked fine for a number of weeks (you have to match the 'path' and create the appropriate folders but its not that difficult). But then I think they reimplemented the indexing and since then it has not worked, even after taking it back out of the WiiMAmp and reindexing it again with the same process.
That's unwelcome news. I was planning to use the MiniDLNA approach to solve the artist vs album artist sorting issue. Sounds like that may not be an option now. :(

CarlToft

Does anyone use the wiim amp with Kef R3 Meta? If yes what is your experience?

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I just used them wirh a pair of Kef q 550 . They were OK. I don't think this amp had thr head room to drive those speakers properly. I feel like they are perfect for a nice, easy to drive pair of bookshelves. I connected an 8 inch sub. It was good sounding but this couldn't ever replace a a main amp and I wouldn't use it in a larger room. I see this as good for desktops and dorm rooms.

Last edited:

bcfc

I just used them wirh a pair of Kef q 550 . They were OK. I don't think this amp had thr head room to drive those speakers properly. I feel like they are perfect for a nice, easy to drive pair of bookshelves. I connected an 8 inch sub. It was good sounding but this couldn't ever replace a amin amp and I wouldn't use it in a larger room. I see this as good for desktops and dorm rooms.
Maybe garbage room too?

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
My garbage room is too big for this amp. I am sure your trailer is small enough this will rock your neighbors, tho.

soulfresh

Wish I have the Kef R3 Meta. Maybe if two WIIM amp in mono each per speaker? It's not even an existing function so probably not. For the price of Kef R3 Meta, it should at least spend on an amp that's half the price?

I only have Kef Q350 using the Wiim amp but used to pair it with a Yamaha WXA-50 which can be used a mono mode. Cost the same or a little bit more than the Wiim Amp depending on your region.

You can read my remarks KEF Q350 + Yamaha WXA-50 v KEF Q350 + Wiim Amp

jmtocali

In my small room (4x3mts) it works perfect. I listen to classical music most of the time. With that normally don't need more than 40% of the volume. With jazz, rock, pop or salsa don't need more than 30% of volume.
I have the Neohipo ET30 for switching between the Wiim Amp and a vintage Sansui AU 317 II for stereo and an Onkyo TX-NR7100 where the KEFs are the front speakers for movies and music in Atmos.

CarlToft

I just used them wirh a pair of Kef q 550 . They were OK. I don't think this amp had thr head room to drive those speakers properly. I feel like they are perfect for a nice, easy to drive pair of bookshelves. I connected an 8 inch sub. It was good sounding but this couldn't ever replace a a main amp and I wouldn't use it in a larger room. I see this as good for desktops and dorm rooms.
My apartment is around 28m2 so is not a big apartment.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
My apartment is around 28m2 so is not a big aapartment.
Personally, I thought the amp sounded good and gave a good report of itself. I watched a review of it online where the reviewer trashed it. I thought he downplayed it intentionally because who wants to review a product that is so cheap. This is a nice stereo for a small room and can produce a rich sound with a sub and the eq functions. It gets a lot right in my eyes.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My order for a WiiM Amp in silver was just processed at Crutchfield. It waiting for UPS pickup. Can't hardly wait!

LaurentDx

In my small room (4x3mts) it works perfect. I listen to classical music most of the time. With that normally don't need more than 40% of the volume. With jazz, rock, pop or salsa don't need more than 30% of volume.
I have the Neohipo ET30 for switching between the Wiim Amp and a vintage Sansui AU 317 II for stereo and an Onkyo TX-NR7100 where the KEFs are the front speakers for movies and music in Atmos.
Sansui AU 217, 317, ... such a nice sound :)
Currently I listen to the Wiim pro + & Sansui 217 II, waiting to compare this with my son's Wiim Amp he has just ordered tonight !
I will let know about the results.
I was initially willing to ugrade the 217 II to 317 with line out to enable feeding a sub ... but the Wiim Amp might change the plans ! Any advice from your side about respecive sound quality of Wiim Amp vs 317 would be welcome.

jmtocali

Sansui AU 217, 317, ... such a nice sound :)
Currently I listen to the Wiim pro + & Sansui 217 II, waiting to compare this with my son's Wiim Amp he has just ordered tonight !
I will let know about the results.
I was initially willing to ugrade the 217 II to 317 with line out to enable feeding a sub ... but the Wiim Amp might change the plans ! Any advice from your side about respecive sound quality of Wiim Amp vs 317 would be welcome.
I do love a lot my Sansui, but I think the Wiim Amp is a better product. And the subwoofer out gives it a clear advantage. Just did a comparison with level matched volume using my wife as judge and she clearly preferred the Wiim Amp. I used the new recording of the Sibelius 4th Symphony conducted by Santtu-Matias Rouvali as main reference track.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
1706849803780.png

harkpabst

I watched a review of it online where the reviewer trashed it. I thought he downplayed it intentionally because who wants to review a product that is so cheap. This is a nice stereo for a small room and can produce a rich sound with a sub and the eq functions. It gets a lot right in my eyes.
Andrew Robinson.

Well ... he clearly has no concept of what he's talking about, technically. I don't even doubt he didn't like what he was hearing with his Klipsch Cornwall IV. I didn't sit in the same room with him. There could be a plenthora of reasons for this, but surely not the WiiM Amp lacking "headroom".

Objective measurements performed by @onlyoneme clearly demonstrate inferior quality of an early sample vs. a more current unit (and those differences may well be perceivable). The individual review sample could have had specific issues (I don't say this has been the case, but with a purely subjective review this cannot be ruled out). Finally, the Cornwall really might not be the best match, indeed. Its unusually high impedance, especially in the treble, will clearly not combine in a favorable manner with the well known load dependancy of TPA3255 based designs. Further resonances in the tweeter itself (above 20 kHz) could lead to further negative effects (if they exist, I don't know) and the nominally high sensitivity might not help like one would assume otherwise.

There's probably more that could have gone wrong, things I cannot even think about, but surely the WiiM Amp ist not short of headroom (he mentions this term as if it was some secret audiophile means of distinguing "real music" from test signals and not a perfectly well understood characteristic of an amplifier that's easy to measure).

I only listened to my original WiiM Amp (returned it because of a strictly mechanical defect, currently waiting for the replacement to arrive) for a relatively short time through the non-Meta KEF LS50 in my bedroom. LS50 are definitely not easy to drive, but the WiiM Amp could propel them to neighbourhood infuriating levels with no signs of stress, harshness or causing listening fatigue, let alone instant unpleasant effects.
:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom