• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

Which part of the World do you live in ?

• Africa

Votes: 7 0.4%
  • Asia

Votes: 142 7.2%
  • Europe

Votes: 982 49.7%
  • North America

Votes: 727 36.8%
  • South America

Votes: 33 1.7%
  • Oceania

Votes: 85 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joemoonit

Padova, Italia
crop.aspx

ob1

Forum Donor
Greetings from Montreal Canada, fellow ASR members!

I am not too sure The Ring (L'anneau) is iconic, but it was meant to be. Fairly recently installed. My work place is litteraly a 2 minute-walk from there.

anneau.jpg

I guess that our most easily recognized symbol would be The Olympic stadium :

46372-credit-fr-photo-helico-yves-tremblay-tourisme-montreal-en-credit-photo-helico-yves-tremblay-tourisme-montreal-2048x1757.jpg.webp

A few foreign friends insisted that Montreal is known for its outdoor staircases, so here goes one random pic :

Montreal-Staircases-in-Winter.jpg

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
We must be fair-and-balanced: I live 35 miles away from this.:(

When I see this I feel thankful for the fact I have a roof over my head and a few hundred in the bank to see me till my next social security/disability money gets deposited in the bank and allowing myself to repeat the cycle, poor folk to end up living in such a situation whether that be by immigration/seeking a better life/job insecurity/housing/rental costs/marriage breakdown/mental issues/drug abuse etc….etc.

An equal and just society flourishes from the bottom up

Azathoth

Malaysian here, representing the Asians.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Malaysian here, representing the Asians.

I was born in Kuala Lumpur and grew up there. In fact:

1705893531147.png

top.jpg

The high school I went to is right next to the new tallest skyscraper in Asia.

That tall white pole/tower seen at the edge of the park is Kuala Lumpur Tower on top of Bukit Nanas ("Pineapple Hill"). Locals used to call it "Mahathir's erection" after the Prime Minister of Malaysia at the time. He had a penchant for grandiose projects.

For those who don't know, "Kuala Lumpur" means "mud estuary" in Malay because the city is literally built on mud. For these skyscrapers to be built, massive engineering works had to take place including huge foundation rods, water drainage, etc. My dad knew one of the engineers in the Petronas Twin Towers, which was built on the old grounds of a horse racing circuit from colonial times - it was notoriously muddy. When they drilled a hole for the pylon foundation, the entire concrete pylon disappeared into the hole and sunk without a trace. You might question the wisdom of building Asia's tallest building at the time on such a site, and this was confirmed when one of the towers started leaning during construction. It cost many millions to repair that.

There is another story about Mahathir being responsible for the design of the Petronas towers. Apparently the original design called for a flat roof, similar to the WTC twin towers in New York. But he requested a change to a spire so that it would be taller.

Last edited:

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From Manchester, WA, USA. Directly across the Puget Sound from Seattle. That's Vashon Island to the right in the foreground and West Seattle in the background.

1000001471.jpg

Azathoth

I was born in Kuala Lumpur and grew up there. In fact:

View attachment 343833

top.jpg

The high school I went to is right next to the new tallest skyscraper in Asia.

That tall white pole/tower seen at the edge of the park is Kuala Lumpur Tower on top of Bukit Nanas ("Pineapple Hill"). Locals used to call it "Mahathir's erection" after the Prime Minister of Malaysia at the time. He had a penchant for grandiose projects.

For those who don't know, "Kuala Lumpur" means "mud estuary" in Malay because the city is literally built on mud. For these skyscrapers to be built, massive engineering works had to take place including huge foundation rods, water drainage, etc. My dad knew one of the engineers in the Petronas Twin Towers, which was built on the old grounds of a horse racing circuit from colonial times - it was notoriously muddy. When they drilled a hole for the pylon foundation, the entire concrete pylon disappeared into the hole and sunk without a trace. You might question the wisdom of building Asia's tallest building at the time on such a site, and this was confirmed when one of the towers started leaning during construction. It cost many millions to repair that.

There is another story about Mahathir being responsible for the design of the Petronas towers. Apparently the original design called for a flat roof, similar to the WTC twin towers in New York. But he requested a change to a spire so that it would be taller.
Where do you stay now?

Top Bottom