• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Epos ES 14 N - best passive Speaker in SpiNorama.org so far? (7.4/10 with equalisation without subwoofer)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Our member @ctrl has a series of treads where he measures differences or rather not in for example crossover applications with capacitors .

Besides sighted ( invalid ) testing , some cheaper ones have great spread in tolerances and then you change the circuit and ofcourse it’s different duh :) and hobbyists replacing caps in random speakers does not account for series resistance and then also change the circuit, duh again :) these factors may be bigger than the actual differences if they exists.....

And if your read kef’s white papers of later years they do distortion measurements of crossover components and explore them deeper , but there still no voodoo or very expensive components used just ones fit for the application .

I’m more interested in the actual end result the performance of these speakers , can someone send Amir a pair

OP
totti1965

totti1965

I’m more interested in the actual end result the performance of these speakers , can someone send Amir a pair
Well there are two points:

I asked Karl-Heinz to send Amir a pair, at least for Amir’s subjective evaluation (and for measurements without the 1/12 dB smoothing). I think that Amir, who likes it „beefy“, like Karl Heinz who also made many Horn Speakers in his live, would completely fell in love with that speaker (like he did with the Revel M106, the bigger Genelec speakers or the Neumann KH 120 II etc.)

The Epos brand has no USA Distributor
Karl-Heinz thinks that the times are to rough…..

What about sending Amir an e-Mail, Karl Heinz? There is a nice company called Madrona digital, where Amir is the CEO! Maybe a business connection between the two?

I can imagine the first test of the Epos from Amir after that: „Read as much bias in my words as you want“ as he wrote so often with components from the Harman Group .

The other thing:

Perhaps Karl-Heinz Fink thinks that in this forum 90 % are US Citizen. So without a proper distributor there is no reason to send Amir a Pair of the Epos ES 14 N, because no one can buy such thing in the US anyway.

But: What if only 25 % of the guys hanging around here are from USA???

So let’s start a poll with about 30 Countries or so and any member can vote from where he / she comes!

I don‘t know how to start a poll, but have seen some nice polls here (e.g. about a Topping Amplifier with severe durability problems….) which are well visited.

Can anybody help me in starting a poll forum-wide poll? Is there a tutorial?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Such poll exists already, according to it most ASR members currently come from Europe:

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Such poll exists already, according to it most ASR members currently come from Europe:

That is the reason i would strongly support the idea of Vintageflanker buying a Klippel NFS :p

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
That is the reason i would strongly support the idea of Vintageflanker buying a Klippel NFS :p
What does a Klippel NFS cost?
Who has ambitions to measure loudspeakers as a hobby? I think it's a crazy idea. (Sorry)
I'd rather invest the money in decent speakers to listen to music with.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
... Karl Heinz who also made many Horn Speakers in his live ...
This is interesting. My main focus is on horn speakers and on nearfield monitors with wave guides.
Can you point me to some examples of horn speakers designed by KHF? I am not familiar with that.

OP
totti1965

totti1965

Coooooool!
And also the result is so cool!
Canada with perhaps 40.000 Citizens in mind,
And 35 % of users from North America
and 332.278.200 US Citizens
I do the Math!
Just 31.24 % of the audiosciencereview community are from the USA!!!
Coooool!

So, Mr. Fink! Where is your next Post / Parcel / DHL office???

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Well there are two points:

I asked Karl-Heinz to send Amir a pair, at least for Amir’s subjective evaluation (and for measurements without the 1/12 dB smoothing).
If you are so interested in Amir's subjective opinion, why don't you send him these speakers yourself. Are you willing to spend your own money and effort on this idea?

DSJR

Major Contributor
I must admit I find your comments unusual from a contemporary designer who I assumed designed from a measurement led perspective.
Keith
If a fancy capacitor or a bling terminal helps sell a product better out there in audiophile (audiophool) land but makes no real difference in a blind test situation, then why not.

Almost all the Harbeth 40th Anniversary range sold massively and successfully on such things with suitable price premium over the stock models (WBT terminals, wacky veneers, a bit of bling on tweeter covers and so on and with poly caps in the crossovers with Harbeth printed on them). The XD series may appear to have have some further and gentle crossover fine tuning here and there, but judging by pics of the C7-XD crossover boards that I can't find now (this model sounding substantially better to me than its ES3 predecessor), they've apparently returned to the stock film caps they've traditionally used with no subjective issues.

K-H Fink's own site has some interesting articles in his blogs, at least to me ;)

OP
totti1965

totti1965

This is interesting. My main focus is on horn speakers and on nearfield monitors with wave guides.
Can you point me to some examples of horn speakers designed by KHF? I am not familiar with that.
He builds speakers since the early 80s. His professional work has begun in 1982. Has done consulting and constructions for many many many brands, even Car industries. Not any brand wants to let us know that they don‘t make the development by their own. Btw. Epos / Sennheiser Comunication / Neumann are close connected:
The same with Revel / Harman Group / and the mother of the mother: Samsung!
I don‘t know if he has build the Horn Speakers only private but he mentioned them in a 57 Minute Podcast I have seen some month ago…… perhaps he can tell us more…..

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What does a Klippel NFS cost?
Who has ambitions to measure loudspeakers as a hobby? I think it's a crazy idea. (Sorry)
I'd rather invest the money in decent speakers to listen to music with.
I wasn't serious...but it is a fact, that shipping speakers to Amir from Europe is expensive and risky. So it would be great, if our community had someone with a NFS in Europe. And since Vintageflankers reviews are a joy to read....;)

DSJR

Major Contributor
At the current time, to send a pair of speakers around the world purely for a third party measurement would be hideously expensive, even for a four grand the pair model! There's already good Klippel? ES14N plots on the KHF site which are shown at the start of this thread and subjectively, two totally opposite (in taste) dealers fairly local to me like them a lot, so I'd suggest a speaker well worth investigating at this price...

OP
totti1965

totti1965

If you are so interested in Amir's subjective opinion, why don't you send him these speakers yourself. Are you willing to spend your own money and effort on this idea?
These Epos speakers are just on my shortlist. I don‘t own them.
Shipping speakers to Amir from Europe is expensive (about USD 600,—) and risky.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I don‘t know if he has build the Horn Speakers only private but he mentioned them in a 57 Minute Podcast I have seen some month ago…… perhaps he can tell us more…..
Too bad, I can't do much with such general information. I would have liked to see pictures and information about real horn speakers designed by KHF. (I have been dealing with this topic for a very long time)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Measurements don't look great, but that's expected from a designer who loves Wilson Audio. They don't design accurate speakers either.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Epos speaker sure seems to have the look and quality impression :) and it has distribution in Sweden where I live .. added to my eternal procrastination list of speakers i possibly could buy to replace my current ones with .

Top Bottom