• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 525 65.4%

• Total voters

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
41 pages and 820 comments, and only 1 member showed interest for buying this product.
The product was sold out at Audiophonics, which saved me and my budget from yet another impulse buy :).

F1308

Major Contributor
41 pages and 820 comments, and only 1 member showed interest for buying this product.

Hmmmmm. Anyway waiting for impressions of this amp in few weeks/a month
Many already bought PA5, and don't think most people go buying everything that is released every week.

And since there is a promised amp delivering more power, most probably we are on standby...to get one at the earliest regardless of already having the PA5, since it is assumed it will be the very pinnacle itself !!!!

Last edited:

xpop

42 pages and 824 comments, and we still don't know the amplification chips used !
Guessing a TPA3255 with this alim with such a high voltage ?

Enkay25

Many already bought PA5, and don't think most people go buying everything that is released every week.

And since there is a promised amp delivering more power, most probably we are on standby...to get one at the earliest regardless of already having the PA5, since it is assumed it will be the very pinnacle itself !!!!
For me it’s : twice disappointed.

But still keeping a standby wish. And the PA9 should be worthy - no frills power amp with disruptive performance/price. Hope you are listening @JohnYang1997 .

xpop

This is a discrete, A/B class amplifier, not class D. From Amir's review on page 1: "Being class AB design, it has no load dependency."
That mean a symmetrical power supply, and we see a 64V DC adaptor. Or it's 2x32V ?
If it is 64V there is two big capacitors in the speaker line output and no way to bridge the output !

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-04-28 à 16.47.56.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-04-28 à 16.47.56.png
    502 KB · Views: 76

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
How long until similar designs trickle down into an updated version of the Topping MX3, an all-in-one with Bluetooth/USB/optical inputs, DAC, headphone output, and integrated amp w/speaker outputs?

#pareidolia o_O:eek:
Adapter Face.png

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I look forward for subjective reviews from Sandu, Iiwi and so on ... :)

Bugless

That mean a symmetrical power supply, and we see a 64V DC adaptor. Or it's 2x32V ?
If it is 64V there is two big capacitors in the speaker line output and no way to bridge the output !
Since we know 100% that this is class A/B, and that it does support a bridged, mono output, what do you think that means?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Its amazing to me that one can spend more money on a traditional a/b amp with similar power and people accept it... an example is the Audiolab 6000... or one can dabble in tube or class A amps with very modest power and again, people accept it.

But someone focusses on breaking records with the caveat that it only has 50w and its fairly reasonably priced and the manufacturer gets lambasted for it.

To me this is a first stepping stone to things better. Maybe they will do a 75w next... and then a 120w... small steps. You dont have to buy this.

If this feat were so easy how come conventional manufactuers have not acheieved it yet.

Geert

Major Contributor
But someone focusses on breaking records with the caveat that it only has 50w and its fairly reasonably priced and the manufacturer gets lambasted for it.

Indeed. 42 pages of complaining in 2 days, and technically speaking the device isn't even broken. If someone prefers another set of features or specifications, there is plenty of choice elsewhere.

Last edited:

xpop

Since we know 100% that this is class A/B, and that it does support a bridged, mono output, what do you think that means?
Hello Bugless, that mean the AC adaptor is 2x32v and it should be mentioned (like Yamaha does for mixing desks). Even with the use of a LM3886 (have a look at the thread "Topping LA90 evaluation and discussion (Integrated Amplifier)")

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is a discrete, A/B class amplifier, not class D. From Amir's review on page 1: "Being class AB design, it has no load dependency."
Hello All,

We do not know if it is discrete or not.

I suspect a operational-amplifier chip-amp composite structure with loads of feed-back and feed foreword kinds of stuff.

Load dependency is a big Class D shortcoming.

Thanks DT

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We do not know if it is discrete or not.

I suspect a operational-amplifier chip-amp composite structure with loads of feed-back and feed foreword kinds of stuff.

Load dependency is a big Class D shortcoming.
You've come to the wrong place to air concerns about the use of NFB.

Tremolo

Its amazing to me that one can spend more money on a traditional a/b amp with similar power and people accept it... an example is the Audiolab 6000...
The Audiolab 6000 for the same price or less has a real preamp with phono imput, a DAC, bluetooth, remote, display, headphone amp and 50W on 8ohm.
The real drawback of this amp is, IMO, that is meant to be too many things (integrated, power, monoblock) but in the end probably it's just the best desktop amp in the world.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
You've come to the wrong place to air concerns about the use of NFB.
Are you positive that this was a complaint about negative feedback? Negative feedback inside the amp can be positive. Negative feedback about the amp can be negative… or it can be positive, If it’s for a positive not for a negative purpose. You can look at my comment as being negative or positive… but I am positive my intentions are not negative. o_O

dep14

Seems to be a nice product for someone who uses tower speakers with powered woofers. Could put together a heck of a system on a budget.

Top Bottom