• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 640 94.3%

• Total voters

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
You mean 9 square meters like 100 square feet, or a small bedroom, right?

The 8341A is a technically better measuring speaker - probably the closest thing to a perfect speaker ever measured here. If you have a small room there is no need to get huge speakers like the 8361A. The 8341A will more than suffice.
9 square meters is a small room? My room is 3 square meter and I'm scared the 8351B won't be enough lol

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe yes, maybe no. Sure it's a Genelec vs a JBL but not the ones in question. What I would love to see is a blind shootout of the 708p with EQ and 8361 at about 3 meters in a big room where the dynamics come into play. Now the Genelec would probably win, but by how much?

In fairness, isn’t JBL M2 the better comparator against Genelec 8361b? I think Genelec has a 2-way speaker at a 708/KH310-competing price.

As everyone here likely knows I think JBL 7-series are fantastic speakers, the inflection point in price - sonic performance for speakers generally, and I use them at the front of our main system. However, no denying Genelec’s build and materials quality is far better and that’s worth something. OTOH, JBL has to sense to provide proper grilles, while Genelec has the annoyingly naked coax.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
9 square meters is a small room? My room is 3 square meter and I'm scared the 8351B won't be enough lol
don't joke man... in my 4 square meter room I need to buy a passive preamp just to bring down my 8030C into some civilized volume

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
3 square meters? Do you mean 3m x 3m? Because 3 square meters is the size of a medium closet.

Reactions: CMB

TunaBug

Forum Donor
It's a word order thing. 3x3 is a "three meter square". 1x3 is "three square meters".

To think of it in American, a standard 4'x8' sheet of plywood is close to three square meters.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Americans should switch to the metric system so there won't be any more confusion ;)
When Canada switched to metric we had tools that where in both metric and imperial to make things easier. Thermometers where in C and F and pretty much everything else for some years and then eventually things where only in metric. I went through the switch in my early teens so I can do both. Some stuff in imperial is absurdly complicated for physics calculations and metric is easier that way. I have a German friend and she was reciting equivalencies and calculations that where easily remembered at the time and made imperial look like a dog's breakfast. :D

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
When Canada switched to metric we had tools that where in both metric and imperial to make things easier. Thermometers where in C and F and pretty much everything else for some years and then eventually things where only in metric. I went through the switch in my early teens so I can do both. Some stuff in imperial is absurdly complicated for physics calculations and metric is easier that way. I have a German friend and she was reciting equivalencies and calculations that where easily remembered at the time and made imperial look like a dog's breakfast. :D
When I hear feet, inches and ounces I literally shake lol

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, Americans will never convert to metric. For those of you not from the U.S., let me educate you. The 34th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States established the Freedom of the Measurement. F-o-M means that a U.S. citizen has the freedom to select any unit of measure without fear of government or scientific interference. We're lucky. In other countries, the mere utterance of the words "gallon" or "mile" can result in detention, garnished wages, and confiscation of one's kidneys.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Unfortunately, Americans will never convert to metric. For those of you not from the U.S., let me educate you. The 34th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States established the Freedom of the Measurement. F-o-M means that a U.S. citizen has the freedom to select any unit of measure without fear of government or scientific interference. We're lucky. In other countries, the mere utterance of the words "gallon" or "mile" can results in detention, garnished wages, and confiscation of one's kidneys.
Well if you're free to chose anything than I'm surprised that there aren't many Americans who are choosing to use the metric system because it's much simpler

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A bit of a spoiler ...

Does anyone , really, sincerely. seriously think those measurements from the 8361A are ...poor ?????!!!??? :eek:
Seems there are a few who think so according to the poll?
Sorry for the spoiler but ,Man! I had to ponder...

BAck to the scheduled discussion :)

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Imho with active speakers people think the can sound loud because they auto protect the bass and start to roll-off the sub bass in order to protect the speaker.

Even a TV can sound loud in their high frequency's cutting the bass.

This with passive speakers doesn't gonna happen..

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
A bit of a spoiler ...

Does anyone , really, sincerely. seriously think those measurements from the 8361A are ...poor ?????!!!??? :eek:
Seems there are a few who think so according to the poll?
Sorry for the spoiler but ,Man! I had to ponder...

BAck to the scheduled discussion :)
Do you think they're poor?

Top Bottom