• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

• Total voters

dwkdnvr

I've been using Macbook pro's for years now. If you really have a killer app you can make a dual boot MacOS/Windoze machine, or just run a virtualbox VM in windows. Needs testing, of course, but viable for 95% of applications.

I am staunchly against allowing Windoze on my personal machines. Gotta keep the Devil down in the hole.
The M1 Macs have greatly complicated this. Certainly no more dual-boot, and while Parallels does allow running an x86 Windows VM, compatibility is more problematic. VCarve in particular doesn't seem to work based on what I see from user feedback.

In my case in particular, it's not worth the hassle since I have a Proxmox box around to run a Windows VM if needed. My GPU pass-thru VM is actually dual-boot Win/Linux as I managed to successfully P2V the install on the original disk.

BostonJack

Editor
The M1 Macs have greatly complicated this. Certainly no more dual-boot, and while Parallels does allow running an x86 Windows VM, compatibility is more problematic. VCarve in particular doesn't seem to work based on what I see from user feedback.

In my case in particular, it's not worth the hassle since I have a Proxmox box around to run a Windows VM if needed. My GPU pass-thru VM is actually dual-boot Win/Linux as I managed to successfully P2V the install on the original disk.
darn it. very good points. I've not yet dealt with the M1 transition. is it a boon? is it a bane? typical Apple, it is actually something in the middle. in my case, my Windows use is dictated by corporate apps. I'm pushing my group into using ubuntu VMs as our standard workhorse. Just *way* less hassles.

dwkdnvr

You might want to give F-Engrave a look too, unless FreeCAD has picked up a similar capability since I last looked.
Despite the name, VCarve is a pretty general-purpose platform - it does generalized 2 and 3D machining in addition to the more specialized V-carve / inlay use. F-Engrave might be able to handle the latter, but 'something else' would be needed for the rest. I'm hoping to spend a lot of time this winter on CNC activities, and seeing whether any Linux-based apps can replace V-Carve is part of that. (also, evaluating LinuxCNC to replace Mach3

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My "main" OS is probably Android by time used.

For working at home it's Windows.

My preferred OS is Ubuntu with Unity and the HUD... Puts all other operating systems to shame with the universal search, program menu search, and efficient use of screen real estate.

That being said, I just purchased an M1 Max Macbook Pro to try Mac OS, and primarily based the decision on performance and battery life since there is no Windows/PC competitor.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Despite the name, VCarve is a pretty general-purpose platform - it does generalized 2 and 3D machining in addition to the more specialized V-carve / inlay use. F-Engrave might be able to handle the latter, but 'something else' would be needed for the rest. I'm hoping to spend a lot of time this winter on CNC activities, and seeing whether any Linux-based apps can replace V-Carve is part of that. (also, evaluating LinuxCNC to replace Mach3
I should have said I used VCarve briefly a few years back before looking for linux-based alternatives. I meant as a complement to FreeCAD for one of the areas it didn't handle too easily. I've not used any of them for a while, and the the Path workbench was a fast moving part of FreeCAD, so that may have changed by now.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it very interesting that everyone
My "main" OS is probably Android by time used.

For working at home it's Windows.

My preferred OS is Ubuntu with Unity and the HUD... Puts all other operating systems to shame with the universal search, program menu search, and efficient use of screen real estate.

That being said, I just purchased an M1 Max Macbook Pro to try Mac OS, and primarily based the decision on performance and battery life since there is no Windows/PC competitor.
The polls asks: What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

You said: "For working at home it's Windows". That was the answer then. Isn't it?

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I've not yet dealt with the M1 transition. is it a boon? is it a bane?
I've been running a an M1 MacMini for the last few months. I have to say I haven't noticed any incompatibilities or problems whatsoever with legacy Intel code. Completely transparent. It. Just. Works ... ;-)

mansr

Major Contributor

You said: "For working at home it's Windows". That was the answer then. Isn't it?
You seem very eager to find reasons for declaring choices other than Windows somehow incorrect.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

Only if 'working at home' outweighs 'at home but not working.' Even that assumes the concept of a 'main OS' has any validity any more.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You seem very eager to find reasons for declaring choices other than Windows somehow incorrect.
I’m trying to understand why people say they actually use Windows in between many words, even hide behind semantics, but not accept that they do.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
apple silicon is the biggest improvement in my computing life since the Athlon XP
The specs of the new MacBook Pro with M1 Max CPU is mind boggling. Besides the stupendous data bandwidth of the CPU along with the unified memory address, the SSD is as fast as RAM on a ten year old computer. I can’t wait for their second generation. Intel, and AMD for that matter, are left so far behind that it’s funny.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"In terms of competition, Apple's M1 Max benchmarks are on par with the late 2019 Mac Pro which is equipped with Intel's 12-core Xeon W-3235. Moreover, the new chip does not outperform the Mac Pro and iMac models which are equipped with Intel's high-end 16 to 24-core Xeon chips."

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The first post asks for preferred OS, and just because I work at home doesn't mean what I use for work is the "main OS."

What makes something the main OS? Time used directly? Money made? Most investment in it? Uptime? Use time indirectly? (Linux running on a server, router, etc.)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"In terms of competition, Apple's M1 Max benchmarks are on par with the late 2019 Mac Pro which is equipped with Intel's 12-core Xeon W-3235. Moreover, the new chip does not outperform the Mac Pro and iMac models which are equipped with Intel's high-end 16 to 24-core Xeon chips."

That 12-core Mac Pro starts from £6,500. The 24-core from £11,500. MacBook Pro with M1 Max starts from £3,200.

And, we are still comparing the 1st generation Apple silicon.

mansr

Major Contributor
That 12-core Mac Pro starts from £6,500. The 24-core from £11,500. MacBook Pro with M1 Max starts from £3,200.

And, we are still comparing the 1st generation Apple silicon.
For comparison, I built a 16-core AMD EPYC system last year for roughly £2000, all included.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For comparison, I built a 16-core AMD EPYC system last year for roughly £2000, all included.
How much are you worth though? :)

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The specs of the new MacBook Pro with M1 Max CPU is mind boggling. Besides the stupendous data bandwidth of the CPU along with the unified memory address, the SSD is as fast as RAM on a ten year old computer. I can’t wait for their second generation. Intel, and AMD for that matter, are left so far behind that it’s funny.
Until you compare SIMD performance, that's what the Apple fanboys forget to show. Easy to get good cores when you free the transistor space used by 256 and 512 bit wide paths/units
I'd like to see dav1d benchmarks, for example, as it is well optimized both for NEON and AVX.

The performance/energy is still incredible, but I do wonder how much is due to their monopoly on TSMC's N5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom