• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

• Total voters

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How can you install a Wyse terminal at home, for instance?

You can ship a Cisco Meraki router and Wyse terminal to your end user. This router will set itself up as soon as it's connected to their internet connection and create a secure VPN back to your corporate network. Deploy policies such that only know devices (i.e. the Wyse terminal) can be connected to the Meraki.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
didn't Chrome OS try to force this model?

I've looked into managing ChromeOS devices in the enterprise. Frankly, it's not a great experience, although it is getting better. One of the challenges I found was the lack of native security tools on Chromebooks. From a corporate perspective, it was a bad move for Google to let people store data on the Chromebook itself, because then you have to secure that data and provide evidence that it's encrypted and manage the keys.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can ship a Cisco Meraki router and Wyse terminal to your end user. This router will set itself up as soon as it's connected to their internet connection and create a secure VPN back to your corporate network. Deploy policies such that only know devices (i.e. the Wyse terminal) can be connected to the Meraki.
Or you can run your app on a browser and ship nothing. SSL acts as the VPN.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Assorted linux varieties here. Windows gets started in a VM from time to time when I can't find an alternative - things like SigmaStudio that won't run with wine because they insist on talking to a driver that you don't actually need in all situations would be an example. I used to dual boot, but some time in the early 00s I realised the Windows partition hadn't been booted in over 2 years.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or you can run your app on a browser and ship nothing. SSL acts as the VPN.

Yes, you can run a VDI in an HTML5 browser. However, things like video and audio don't run so well when the traffic is mixed in with the KVM data for the VDI. You need a separate channel for the audio and video that can be optimized for this data. It's much easier to do this down a full IP tunnel.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you can run a VDI in an HTML5 browser. However, things like video and audio don't run so well when the traffic is mixed in with the KVM data for the VDI. You need a separate channel for the audio and video that can be optimized for this data. It's much easier to do this down a full IP tunnel.
You don’t need a VDI if you use SaaS. Why transfer the desktop when the app can run directly from the cloud. Facebook, Zoom and Teams demonstrates pretty well that video & audio runs perfectly well on a browser using a standard home broadband connection.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I started in 1988 with MS-DOS on a laptop, one year later sold it and got a used 80286 PC running MS-DOS and later Windows 3.0. A few years later I borrowed a 32 bit Unix datastation by my employer which ran a Risc-OS UNIX (same as I worked with in the office). In 2000 I got a new PC running SuSE Linux, changed to Kubuntu Linux with a new PC in 2009 and running this until now.

I'd say I worked so long with Unix/Linux at my work that using Linux @home was a natural. Most of the programs I use are multiplatform and work on Linux, Mac and Windows (OpenOffice, Scribus, Darktable, RawTherapee, Vuescan, vlc, ...). I do own 2 notebooks with Windows, a big one for slideshows (program does not run on Linux) and small one for travel (Linux support is difficult or lacking).

EDIT: My oldest notebook became so slow with Win 7 that after I got a new one, I installed Xubuntu for tests of audioserver and -client software and now it's faster than before. NTFS speed really sucks compared to EXT4, and the disc caching of Linux is far better than on Windows. On my 8 year old Linux PC in the office (i7-2600, HDD and 16 GB memory) a make -j8 install which installed thousands of files took 2 to 3 seconds - on the newest and fastest Windows Notebooks (i7, SDD, 32 GB memory) the same call took 5 minutes! Factor of ~180!

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My PSA to folks who dont update Windows due to the frustration that goes with it: I'd encourage you to switch to an OS that you are willing to keep up to date for security reasons. In your case MacOS may be a happy solution for you. for personal security reasons any known security holes left unpatched will be exploited by bad actors using automated 'bots' scouring the internet for open computers. The most common entry points are web browsing and email even if you don't "click on the bad link" accidentally going to a site with malicious package can open you up to unauthorized crypto mining at it's most benign and keystroke recording and hard drive lockout at it's most malignant. I hear your grips with Windows so I encourage you to switch to an OS you are willing to keep up to date with the latest security patches.
Yep. When I got a new PC in 2009 I changed from SuSE Linux (old PC) to Kubuntu Linux (new PC). I installed Kubuntu on the new PC and then plugged in the disk of the old PC via an external USB box. I copied the complete home directory onto the new disk. Then I rebooted the PC and logged in and ... pop, pop, pop, ... to my utter astonishment several programs started up and showed the cursor at the exact position where I had left them when I had logged out of my old PC. Just wow (why: because of the KDE settings).

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don’t need a VDI if you use SaaS. Why transfer the desktop when the app can run directly from the cloud. Facebook, Zoom and Teams demonstrates pretty well that video & audio runs perfectly well on a browser using a standard home broadband connection.

Yes, i've already said that this is the way it's going, but those legacy enterprise apps haven't gone away yet and some of them interface with traditional telephone systems (e.g. call centre and CRM systems).

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
O
didn't Chrome OS try to force this model?
Successfully I think. It’s opens up interesting possibilities, but many dilemmas also, but we live in an era where a ‘professional’ desktop os has inbuilt spying and advertising!

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Before I retired from MegaCorp a couple of years back, there was a huge migration from internal IT systems to da cloud. M$ Office was being replaced by Google Office, which of course was fought bitterly, especially by the finance dept, which, sadly, lives on Excel, even in a $multi-billion corporation. The sales and marketing teams had long since moved to Salesforce (and loved it), which is a highly successful cloud-based CRM.

Oracle and M$ databases were being moved from IT servers to AWS, M$, IBM and Google cloud spaces. Big Data databases were, in some cases, even replacing Oracle.

IT depts are a huge expense. Moving to the cloud means far fewer servers to maintain, simpler scaling, and potentially much lower costs.

Longer term, I believe, the plan was to move the sales teams off of Windows entirely, onto iPads with 4G LTE (probably 5G now), and other in-house teams possibly to Chromebooks/Chromeboxes.

Honken

I love Docker. It enables our developers to get away with understanding tech even less than they did before, because "it works on my machine". Looking at some of the docker stacks that the developers share at $dayjob I worry for the future of IT. Docker and other modern technologies enables people to deliver on things they have no clue about by copy 'n pasting things from Google/Stack Overflow. I've caught people trying* to push containers to production which have default instances of databases listening to connections from the world with default/test credentials... Because hey, it worked on their machine - why wouldn't it work in production?

Docker is truly magic indeed.

* We have policies in place against things like that - but it is still indicative of the mentality of people in tech/it.

mansr

Major Contributor
I love Docker. It enables our developers to get away with understanding tech even less than they did before, because "it works on my machine".
aR6WdUcsrEgld5xUlglgKX_0sC_NlryCPTXIHk5qdu8.jpg

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I worked with Softricity and their Softgrid Windows application virtualization and streaming technology in 2005, before they got bought by Microsoft and it got morphed into App-V. It's conceptually similar to docker in some ways and the ablity to stream application binaries on demand was pretty cool. However, it was held back by its inablity to handle 'legacy applications' (there's that word again!) as it couldn't cope with stuff like Office plug-ins and DDE.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys and gals, what is your preferred operating system at home?

Comments and stories how you have ended up in your current operating system are warmly welcomed. :)
It looks like some people have voted on multiple options. I assumed from your choice of words "main" and "preferred" that you were asking for a single vote. Was I wrong?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve voted for all but two. This how we roll in my family! :)
You were not alone. For many the word "main" and "preferred" had a different meaning than what I see in the dictionary, but never mind...

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You were not alone. For many the word "main" and "preferred" had a different meaning than what I see in the dictionary, but never mind...
The word 'main' is somewhat vague. I run a single copy of Windows 11, but its the OS i'm using now on my 'main' dekstop, however, I run mulitple instances of both Synology DSM and Android, so either of them could also be considered as my 'main' OS in terms of deployed instances. However, I have over 60 devices deployed on my home network, so it might be something like the 'Echo Dot OS' than should really be considered as my 'main' OS (or 'some flavour of embedded Linux' would be the actual winner) :)

Top Bottom