• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophile jewelry - most beautiful Cd players, turntables and other gear

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The last CD player I owned was a compact transport from Little Dot. I sold it to a vinyl-only tube guy as his first CD player in 2011 just before moving to Panamá to live as an expat and making my move to only digital music files and streaming audio.

The stock unadorned brushed clear aluminum components from Little Dot are rather pedestrian looking. However, the below balanced vacuum tube headphone amp (which appears to be the same model as the be-jeweled one above) in black with gold tube guards looks quite nice IMO, although having the volume knob and power button in gold would be an improvement. Little Dot seems to have a decent sized following, and I would enjoy seeing one of their HPA's measured and reviewed by Amir.

I've never understood the aesthetic appeal of tubes on a box.

Smislov

JungSon Impression II Luxery Edition
1625862728296.png

Kling75

Forum Donor
Burmester 808 preamplifier, also gold edition

View attachment 140116View attachment 140117

I was quite irritated whe i saw the gold finish. Burmester stands, like a few others like J. Rowland for the highest quality of chrome finish worldwide. Every time i had the possibility to experience their Reference System is was gobsmacked. Yes the Sound is big and transparent. How a Megabuck System should perform. What you not gonna find so often is the ridiculous built quality of the Burmester electronics chrome finish. Try to experience a 808 Preamp, it is unique in every way and a modern classic. In twenty years we all will regret not buying the units which where used as a exhibit of technical art made in germany. I doubt there are a lot units with more than 100hours on them. But Gold ? NO GO in Europe and USA. These units went to asia countrys...

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never understood the aesthetic appeal of tubes on a box.

So I can assume that you do not find Edward Nesteruk's glass art attractive?

Nesteruk Art Glass-2.jpg

(I have a "tubes on a box amp" AND a Nesturuk blue veiled glass piece) that came with a black light box that I purhased at a gallery 25 years ago.)

OP
Harmonie

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was quite irritated whe i saw the gold finish. Burmester stands, like a few others like J. Rowland for the highest quality of chrome finish worldwide. Every time i had the possibility to experience their Reference System is was gobsmacked. Yes the Sound is big and transparent. How a Megabuck System should perform. What you not gonna find so often is the ridiculous built quality of the Burmester electronics chrome finish. Try to experience a 808 Preamp, it is unique in every way and a modern classic. In twenty years we all will regret not buying the units which where used as a exhibit of technical art made in germany. I doubt there are a lot units with more than 100hours on them. But Gold ? NO GO in Europe and USA. These units went to asia countrys...

Oh I'm sure that they'll find Russian oligarchs fans as well.

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
MBL 6010D preamplifier, classic stuff too, here gold is less controversial.
BTW I wanted to buy it's clone at audiophonics (I know it sounds great). They carry also Topping Pre90. I asked them which one is better sounding and they pointed Topping Pre90 strongly so, quite surprised by this recommendation, I took Pre90 from my local shop for listening test. Bingo! It stayed so now I am happy owner of Topping Pre90. Probably it would be strong competitor to the original 6010D shown below, but who knows, unless Amirm measure this classic beauty as well... :)

MBL 6010d.PNG

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These made it to the last two in my short list when I selected my "last speakers I ever need to buy" 25 years ago.
It was both the styling, which I still love, but also the technical narrative which I found persuasive.
Anyway the ones i bought (and still listen to every day) sounded better to me but I have always sort of regretted it...

Kling75

Forum Donor
These made it to the last two in my short list when I selected my "last speakers I ever need to buy" 25 years ago.
It was both the styling, which I still love, but also the technical narrative which I found persuasive.
Anyway the ones i bought (and still listen to every day) sounded better to me but I have always sort of regretted it...

Now you got my attention…..do i have to guess or you make it quick and painless ?

Kling75

Forum Donor
MBL 6010D preamplifier, classic stuff too, here gold is less controversial.
BTW I wanted to buy it's clone at audiophonics (I know it sounds great). They carry also Topping Pre90. I asked them which one is better sounding and they pointed Topping Pre90 strongly so, quite surprised by this recommendation, I took Pre90 from my local shop for listening test. Bingo! It stayed so now I am happy owner of Topping Pre90. Probably it would be strong competitor to the original 6010D shown below, but who knows, unless Amirm measure this classic beauty as well... :)

View attachment 140220

Haha…i like the smell of sinad in the morning. Most likely not the gear from the ASR crowd.But i would love to read the review from Amirm - this guy does not take prisoners ! Like it or not, but he is one of the best things that happend to the hifi business….

Last edited:

Kling75

Forum Donor
Goldmund Epilog 1&2

Made in Vernier Switzerland...:). Their predecessors made it to the MoMA in NYC. The good thing is, Goldmund provides support for their products since foundet in 1978. Also CH Precision is a Goldmun spin off. I went to almost all Swiss-High End exhibitions from 96 - 2015 but Goldmund was rarely present so i never had the chance to hear them....

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I look at this and all I can think is, "An analog bathroom scale with a lit dial, and it makes it impossible for me to weigh over 150 pounds... Brilliant! What will those retro designers think of next?" :D

That is the nice dial on an ancient Atwater-Kent AM radio.

Top Bottom