• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Audiophile jewelry - most beautiful Cd players, turntables and other gear

welsh

Such a big box with a big knob but 2 little meters. :(
Not only that but What Hi-Fi says it, Say it ain't so Joe. LOL
  • Lacks rhythmic precision and dynamic punch
  • Sound staging could be more expansive
Are you suggesting that we should take What Hifi at their (entirely subjective) word? Or that ‘rhythmic precision’ and ‘sound staging’ are actual qualities of amplifiers? I trust your post is ironic.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
MBL 6010D preamplifier, classic stuff too, here gold is less controversial.
BTW I wanted to buy it's clone at audiophonics (I know it sounds great). They carry also Topping Pre90. I asked them which one is better sounding and they pointed Topping Pre90 strongly so, quite surprised by this recommendation, I took Pre90 from my local shop for listening test. Bingo! It stayed so now I am happy owner of Topping Pre90. Probably it would be strong competitor to the original 6010D shown below, but who knows, unless Amirm measure this classic beauty as well... :)

View attachment 140220
Whooo MBL..... Once of the best..... and also extremely expensive... But it is awesome.

Transcriptors turntable - I lusted after one of these when I was younger, and the modern version, the Gyrodec, is still a tasty bit of eye candy...

J-A-Michell-Hydraulic-Reference-Turntable-1024x647.jpg

Doodski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Transcriptors turntable - I lusted after one of these when I was younger, and the modern version, the Gyrodec, is still a tasty bit of eye candy...

View attachment 143793
You're not missing much by not having this snazzy turntable. I owned one and it was a pain in the butt to setup so I bought a Technics direct drive quartz lock turntable and just displayed the snazzy looking one as eye candy. :D

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The rear-view of JBL K2 S5500.
Exposed rear of compression driver, with interesting design of the terminal bridges.

Top Bottom