• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speakers to buy to make my system better ?

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
S

Sieniek

I am curious about what if I would pair the Kef’s R3 with 2 x Rythmik F18 subwoofers and cross them actively on 100-120hz (120hz is max on Rythmik’s) ? If the sound volume will not be a problem anymore ? If I will be able to play very loud without any distortion?

Also just watched couple of videos on YouTube about JTR company, especially their factory tour and I am impressed with the components being used over there. Totally great !

YSC

Major Contributor
I am curious about what if I would pair the Kef’s R3 with 2 x Rythmik F18 subwoofers and cross them actively on 100-120hz (120hz is max on Rythmik’s) ? If the sound volume will not be a problem anymore ? If I will be able to play very loud without any distortion?

Also just watched couple of videos on YouTube about JTR company, especially their factory tour and I am impressed with the components being used over there. Totally great !
no idea but I am thinking crossing that high may cause localization problem for the subs, with that money I start to wonder will speakers like Kii Three or D&D 8C actually be better given their clever DSP or so?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the info. Actually I am researching all the informations about these JBL 4722N speakers and I would be very happy to buy them but...I cannot find a place where I could buy them or anyone who would like to sell a pair.
Hi

I don't know about your aesthetics sensibilities or proclivities but these are big and IMO ugly speakers that can overwhelm a living room. I again suggest you to have a harder look at the JBL 708p. They don't seem to be as well regarded here (ASR) as Genelec but they hold their own and are in many respects as good while costing in the USA at least, much less.
With subwoofers they'll get you there/

My recommandations are based on my on-going experience with their lower cousin which I own: The JBL LSR308 (about $550 /pair). This system surprises me on a regular basis, in my 16 x 10 x 9.5 ft roughly ( 5 x 3.2 x 2.7 meters) room. The subs are dirt cheap Dayton Audio SUB-1500 from Parts Express and the pre/Pro is a Denon AVR-3400... Next step is 708 and a pair of SVS 1000 Pro. I'll retain a LSR 308 for center channel ...
I could write a lot more on my ongoing experience and may actually do it. I believe in most rooms , paired with good subs and appropriate DSP, if 2-channel is your game (even for MCH but DSP in MCH is not clear to me at this point so ... I defer to the experts on this). One can build around the JBL 708p a world-class audio system. in the same room surpassing these could require expenditure in the >$20K. The 708 correctly integrated with subwoofers could well be the best ROI for mortal audiophiles :). Read Amir's review of the JBL 708 and draw your own conclusions...

Peace

OP
S

Sieniek

no idea but I am thinking crossing that high may cause localization problem for the subs, with that money I start to wonder will speakers like Kii Three or D&D 8C actually be better given their clever DSP or so?

Hi ! Thanks for your input !

Is localisation a problem if I have two subwoofers in stereo close to the main speakers ? I think it is not but maybe someone more knowledgeable than me have something to say about it.

Kii Three are couple of times more expensive, like more than £10000 if I remember correctly and D&D 8c are only a little bit cheaper than Kii Three. If you will compare that to other passive propositions then the price difference is extremely high especially that I already have all the amps, subwoofers and a great Minidsp SHD.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I don't know about your aesthetics sensibilities or proclivities but these are big and IMO ugly speakers that can overwhelm a living room. I again suggest you to have a harder look at the JBL 708p. They don't seem to be as well regarded here (ASR) as Genelec but they hold their own and are in many respects as good while costing in the USA at least, much less.
With subwoofers they'll get you there/

My recommandations are based on my on-going experience with their lower cousin which I own: The JBL LSR308 (about $550 /pair). This system surprises me on a regular basis, in my 16 x 10 x 9.5 ft roughly ( 5 x 3.2 x 2.7 meters) room. The subs are dirt cheap Dayton Audio SUB-1500 from Parts Express and the pre/Pro is a Denon AVR-3400... Next step is 708 and a pair of SVS 1000 Pro. I'll retain a LSR 308 for center channel ...
I could write a lot more on my ongoing experience and may actually do it. I believe in most rooms , paired with good subs and appropriate DSP, if 2-channel is your game (even for MCH but DSP in MCH is not clear to me at this point so ... I defer to the experts on this). One can build around the JBL 708p a world-class audio system. in the same room surpassing these could require expenditure in the >$20K. The 708 correctly integrated with subwoofers could well be the best ROI for mortal audiophiles :). Read Amir's review of the JBL 708 and draw your own conclusions...
If I ever look to upgrade in the future, the 708 is on the short list to audition. There is not a lot of room for improvement in terms of frequency response with what I currently have, but I could improve SPL and compression. Not huge priorities in a really small room, but who knows what the future holds.

YSC

Major Contributor
Hi ! Thanks for your input !

Is localisation a problem if I have two subwoofers in stereo close to the main speakers ? I think it is not but maybe someone more knowledgeable than me have something to say about it.

Kii Three are couple of times more expensive, like more than £10000 if I remember correctly and D&D 8c are only a little bit cheaper than Kii Three. If you will compare that to other passive propositions then the price difference is extremely high especially that I already have all the amps, subwoofers and a great Minidsp SHD.
right, if so you better off just get a pair of passive, but did you do extensive measuring and optimization of your system?

mitchco

Audio Company
@mitchco Could you record any track with percussion and vocal and show it over here or upload on YouTube or somewhere to check it out ? Is it possible at all ?

I have listened to your binaural audio with these speakers and it was amazing through the headphones.

Would be amazing if you could record the sound with the video.

This is the request from my friend who is interested in these speakers as well and a request from myself but if you cannot or do not have too much free time to make it then it is not a problem and totally understandable for me.

Sorry, too busy. I have reviewed/measured the Kii THREE and the D&D 8c. Excellent speakers, but I won't be giving up the 4722's anytime soon. Wrt 4722 looks... my wife and daughter love the "industrial" look. I am not much of a fan, but I sure like how they sound :) Dynamic sound with a ton of punch that never sounds strained no matter what the volume. Good luck!

Slayer

Sorry, too busy. I have reviewed/measured the Kii THREE and the D&D 8c. Excellent speakers, but I won't be giving up the 4722's anytime soon. Wrt 4722 looks... my wife and daughter love the "industrial" look. I am not much of a fan, but I sure like how they sound :) Dynamic sound with a ton of punch that never sounds strained no matter what the volume. Good luck!
I'm with ya, I wouldn't be giving up the 4722's either (unless a trade was available for the 5732's) ;)
As far as how they look, to me, not bad at all, actually kind of cool looking. Not the typical same old boring look or style. On the other hand, i have never really cared how audio equipment looked, just how it sounds. When you can get a good horn wave guide system to sound right, there is just something special about them.

OP
S

Sieniek

right, if so you better off just get a pair of passive, but did you do extensive measuring and optimization of your system?

Surely I will do by using Umik microphone and Dirac with Minidsp SHD if this is what you asking about.

OP
S

Sieniek

I have listened to Kii Three and D&D 8c speakers in the past, great active speakers. I believe these are the best active speakers overall out there.

To be honest I like how the JBL 4722 look but for me the look of the speakers is the last important thing, how they play and how big potential they have is the most important thing IMO especially that we have such a big possibilities with DSP/room correction these days.
And after seeing the system of @mitchco with same Rythmik‘s as I have I am sure these are the number one speakers I would like to have.

@mitchco I have sent an email to Michael regarding these JBL’s 4722 but no luck and he didn’t got back to me. I think that maybe they are not sending parcels to Europe. This is the only problem, if I could buy them I would buy them but no chance to buy them in Poland.

Maybe you or any other member could help me with sending them to Poland, please. Of course I would pay in forward for these speakers and the postage from USA to Poland.

I am sorry if I am asking for too much, I would not like to be rude or something. I am just trying to find a way to get them as they are my last missing piece of the audio system so it is always worth to ask.

What is funny is that the rest of my system is from USA as well and never had any problem with postage before and single Rythmik F18 is even heavier than one JBL 4722 speaker.

OP
S

Sieniek

I'm with ya, I wouldn't be giving up the 4722's either (unless a trade was available for the 5732's) ;)
As far as how they look, to me, not bad at all, actually kind of cool looking. Not the typical same old boring look or style. On the other hand, i have never really cared how audio equipment looked, just how it sounds. When you can get a good horn wave guide system to sound right, there is just something special about them.

Thanks for the input man, I am jealous. I wish to be able to acquire these speakers as well.

I imagine that the soundstage and image from these horns/speakers is something else like 3D. Would you like to describe it a little bit ?
I am very curious how holographic and convincing is the sound with these. Cymbals, percussion, vocals must sound so real. I have read a lot already and a lot of great impressions especially from this very long thread with currently 396 pages, everything about them sound like the real deal in sound.

Slayer

Thanks for the input man, I am jealous. I wish to be able to acquire these speakers as well.

I imagine that the soundstage and image from these horns/speakers is something else like 3D. Would you like to describe it a little bit ?
I am very curious how holographic and convincing is the sound with these. Cymbals, percussion, vocals must sound so real. I have read a lot already and a lot of great impressions especially from this very long thread with currently 396 pages, everything about them sound like the real deal in sound.
Contact these guys, not only will they give you a good deal, as long as your willing to pay the shipping, i'm sure they will ship them to you.
As far as the sound goes, Mitchco described them pretty well. effortless and you will be amazed at the lifelike sound they produce.
Anyways, seriously contact these guys.
JBL 4722N 2-WAY SCREEN ARRAY WITH NETWORK PASSIVE APPLICATION – Lighting Images Technology

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
708p are wonderful. I own a pair and want a third for LCR. Pair a couple with a 1-4 subs and a MiniDSP SHD Studio and you're done. To do much better would require far, far more money and far, far more effort.

OP
S

Sieniek

708p are wonderful. I own a pair and want a third for LCR. Pair a couple with a 1-4 subs and a MiniDSP SHD Studio and you're done. To do much better would require far, far more money and far, far more effort.
Thank you for your suggestion but I have already the amps and Minidsp SHD so there is no point for me to buy active speakers I believe.

Also maybe I am wrong (although I am very much doubt it) but as long as 708p are good they aren’t on the same level as 4722 I think. SPL capabilities, more extended lower end and better and bigger horn with the same or even lower price sounds for me like a good deal.

But still, if I wouldn’t have DSP and amps then 708p as the active speakers would be very tempting.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I wouldn't expect any problems with crossing at those frequencies, and it should allow the overall system to play pretty damn loud.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your suggestion but I have already the amps and Minidsp SHD so there is no point for me to buy active speakers I believe.

Also maybe I am wrong (although I am very much doubt it) but as long as 708p are good they aren’t on the same level as 4722 I think. SPL capabilities, more extended lower end and better and bigger horn with the same or even lower price sounds for me like a good deal.

But still, if I wouldn’t have DSP and amps then 708p as the active speakers would be very tempting.

Then get speakers with matching DSP control over them. 708i?

OP
S

Sieniek

Have you tried to contact one of the local Harman reps to see where you might be able to purchase them?
I will try to ask them tomorrow most probably.

It looks like the prices for JBL 4722 vary a lot. Of course I would like to acquire them for the lowest price possible.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The biggest problem with JBL in Europe is trying to buy the damn things. You can buy the little powered monitors on Amazon easy enough but almost any of their other products are practically impossible to source and the JBL website is a joke. It's like they don't want to sell anything.

I think you are on the right track with the 4722 and subs, that will sound devastating done right.

Top Bottom