• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

HDavidson

Is a new version of the TOPPING DX7 PRO Balanced DAC Headphone Amplificateur being developed?
The TOPPING D90 is no longer for sale.
Information ?

robbyt

Hey all, I just created an account to post about how disappointed I was with my DX7 Pro.

I bought mine from Apos, who are great- however Topping support have not been helpful at all with an issue I'm having connecting the DX7 Pro to a LG OLED TV via Optical SPDIF. The issue is, because of jitter from the LG tv, the DX7 drops out occasionally. It seems very random, and I'm not able to attribute it to environmental or program material. I've tried several cables, and even bought a new Surge X power conditioner thinking tht my noisy NYC power was causing clock instability. (the SurgeX attenuated the noise floor on my speakers, but didn't help with the dropouts)

I'm a mix & mastering engineer, and own several high-end pro DACs. I bought the DX7 to connect an older pair of studio monitors to my LG TV.

I emailed Topping support, and oddly, they asked for a video showing the problem. Yep, it's a real problem... After they saw the video they basicly said there is nothing they can do because "spdif is not a good standard".

I emailed Apos, and they suggested buying a different DAC to see if it's an issue with the TV or with the DAC. I bought the SMSL SU-9, which works perfectly (but lacks the headphone amp). I also connected the LG TV to my Crane Song Avocet ii, which also works perfectly.

Long story, and I'm sorry, but to summarize:

1. The SPDIF implementation on the DX7 Pro is poor.
2. Topping support is poor.
3. Apos has been helpful- and I would buy from them again, however it's very important to try things out ASAP and return them right away when they're bad. I'm spoiled by real pro-level gear that just works.

gvl

Major Contributor
For #1 the word is likely marginal, not poor. Some implementations can't deal with jitter outside the spec. You could have placed a dejitter between the TV and the DAC, not ideal but it's one way you could make it work. Also I don't think any of what you told us points to their support being poor, they are not magicians, incompatibilities do happen.

robbyt

For #1 the word is likely marginal, not poor. Some implementations can't deal with jitter outside the spec. You could have placed a dejitter between the TV and the DAC, not ideal but it's one way you could make it work. Also I don't think any of what you told us points to their support being poor, they are not magicians, incompatibilities do happen.

I appreciate your fairness, but I’m not able to measure how bad the jitter is from the LG TV- so I can’t really judge how well the Topping can deal with the signal. Comparatively speaking, the SMSL is able to handle the signal from the LG, so I can only give the topping a pass/fail rating here.

I don’t want to repost their messages- but I did not feel like Topping did a very good job helping me. They didn’t suggest anything useful, (e.g., I’m not aware of “de-jitter” boxes, but I tried some optical to coax converters). Topping just told me that spdif is not a good standard, and said they would pass on a note to R&D about the problem.

gvl

Major Contributor
I sympathize. These products do have some rough edges. It is also possible you had a defective unit. As for de-jitter devices, one is the iFi SPDIF iPurifier, of course at $150 it may not make sense to buy, but they do exist. Basic SPDIF converters would likely just pass the incoming clock irregularities further down the chain, perhaps while making it worse.

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey all, I just created an account to post about how disappointed I was with my DX7 Pro.

I bought mine from Apos, who are great- however Topping support have not been helpful at all with an issue I'm having connecting the DX7 Pro to a LG OLED TV via Optical SPDIF. The issue is, because of jitter from the LG tv, the DX7 drops out occasionally. It seems very random, and I'm not able to attribute it to environmental or program material. I've tried several cables, and even bought a new Surge X power conditioner thinking tht my noisy NYC power was causing clock instability. (the SurgeX attenuated the noise floor on my speakers, but didn't help with the dropouts)

I'm a mix & mastering engineer, and own several high-end pro DACs. I bought the DX7 to connect an older pair of studio monitors to my LG TV.

I emailed Topping support, and oddly, they asked for a video showing the problem. Yep, it's a real problem... After they saw the video they basicly said there is nothing they can do because "spdif is not a good standard".

I emailed Apos, and they suggested buying a different DAC to see if it's an issue with the TV or with the DAC. I bought the SMSL SU-9, which works perfectly (but lacks the headphone amp). I also connected the LG TV to my Crane Song Avocet ii, which also works perfectly.

Long story, and I'm sorry, but to summarize:

1. The SPDIF implementation on the DX7 Pro is poor.
2. Topping support is poor.
3. Apos has been helpful- and I would buy from them again, however it's very important to try things out ASAP and return them right away when they're bad. I'm spoiled by real pro-level gear that just works.

Have you tried triggering the "sync/async" mode setting on the DX7 Pro as highlighted by the following user?
Maybe it could help with jitter correction if it was in the wrong setting. . .

Could someone, please, confirm that the "DAC mode settings" SYNC/ASYNC in user manual corresponds to the feature in yellow below. I think it's related to this (ESS datasheet):

View attachment 128488

gvl

Major Contributor
I tend to think the issue was on the SPDIF receiver side so the sync/async mode would not change mch, but couldn't hurt to try.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Based on the review here by @amirm I recently bought a Topping Dx7 pro.
I've been working from home for about a year now and wanted a desktop system that could drive the Genelec 8030 and serve as a headphone amplifier in case I would miss the bass.

At first I tried it in my main system and was pleasantly surprised by the solid placement of instruments and voices. I experienced the bass as less present than I was used to, but after a second listen it actually seemed full of impact but much faster. (And finally came to the conclusion it is just better, more truthfull to the recording!) Then I tried the Sennheiser hd650 which was very very good. Just very natural.
Finally I tried the Genelecs and was again surprised at the detail available and the fact I wasn't really missing the bass. The recording was communicated very truthfully.

After about a week I must say I'm very impressed. This is hifi in the true-est meaning of the word. It is hard to describe because it just plays what is there and imposes no character of itself.

A big thank you to the people involved in engineering this product. And to the customer service team. I'm very impressed and will heartily recommend your products.

gvl

Major Contributor
^^^ Try running the DAC in sync mode, you may find the bass a bit more "present", I think I do :)

robbyt

Have you tried triggering the "sync/async" mode setting on the DX7 Pro as highlighted by the following user?
Maybe it could help with jitter correction if it was in the wrong setting. . .

Thank you for the suggestion, no I haven't tried this. Toggling async mode is something I would expect Topping support to suggest (if they were actually helpful).

I ended up selling the DX7 pro to a friend, so <shrug>

nitinvaid20

I just got mine DX7-Pro DAC connected to my PC with USB and Bluetooth connection its working fine there are no issues how ever i have soundcard connected in my PC
Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 it has optical output connection which i was using with my Logitech Z906 speakers which was working perfectly fine but i connected that to my DX7- Pro optical Input but not getting any sound from headphone not sure what i am doing wrong is there any other settings that needs to be setup?

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I just got mine DX7-Pro DAC connected to my PC with USB and Bluetooth connection its working fine there are no issues how ever i have soundcard connected in my PC
Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 it has optical output connection which i was using with my Logitech Z906 speakers which was working perfectly fine but i connected that to my DX7- Pro optical Input but not getting any sound from headphone not sure what i am doing wrong is there any other settings that needs to be setup?

I just pushed the rotary knob to select the source and output.

nitinvaid20

I would try a different sources and outputs until it becomes clear what is working and what not. In my case I didn't even read the manual. Just tried a few things and was working right away.
when i remove the optical cable it wont show anything and when its inserted it is showing 48Khz means its working and detecting the connection.. but no sound

Top Bottom