• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

RFox

Are you planning to get an external amp anyways? Or do you ask if the Dx7pro is sufficient over a D70s stack? Or did you miss that the Dx7pro is a DAC/Amp, while the D70s is a DAC?

With a balanced cable, the pro will drive almost every headphone. If you plan to use lots of different headphones including sensitive IEMs, get a stack. Otherwise save the money for the extra amp and cables and go with the pro.
Not sure what you mean ?!? According to the Topping website D70s can be used as preamp for my active speakers . . . Just missing the headphone amp :rolleyes:Which I can add later if needed as a stack - or am I missing something here?!?

mrbungle

Missed the part you are looking for a preamp only. I would go with the D70s in that case, but both should do the job.

RFox

Missed the part you are looking for a preamp only. I would go with the D70s in that case, but both should do the job.
No worries - I guess my main question is: When driving Active Studio Monitors (like the Adam A5X) - tonality wise, which would be better - D70s or DX7Pro ?!? I see the Headphone Amp in the DX7Pro as a bonus (wouldn't be used that much)

mrbungle

Looks like the D70s has a 25% higher output voltage. Both measure great, the D70s just a bit better. If you don’t need the headphone amp now, get the D70s.

Ton

Great !! Now I just need to know which one is best for that price :rolleyes:

I bought my DX7 Pro for 425 Euro a few weeks ago at the Amazon Prime Days :)
It's a great device, it makes my budget M-Audio BX5 speakers sound so good I even wonder if I need to replace them.

RFox

I bought my DX7 Pro for 425 Euro a few weeks ago at the Amazon Prime Days :)
It's a great device, it makes my budget M-Audio BX5 speakers sound so good I even wonder if I need to replace them.
GREAT price !! I bit the bullet and got the D70s (don't really need the headphone amp) and still playing around with it . . . Unfortunately, no Prime day deal - but both were the same price . . . Stay Safe & Cheers!

aslan7

Does anyone have a strong preference for what filter setting to use on the DX 7 Pro when used as a pure DAC? I like mine but it is a little sharper than my RME, especially at high volumes.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone have a strong preference for what filter setting to use on the DX 7 Pro when used as a pure DAC? I like mine but it is a little sharper than my RME, especially at high volumes.

I think I was using filter 6, but did not feel they really made any difference.

user12346

Hi All,

I have some issues with DX7 Pro bluetooth.

Andriod phone :
- Pair successful
- Sound playback successful

Laptop/4k OLED TV :
- Pair successful
-Sound playback unsuccessful.

I have tried every possible connection/disconnection/pairing. I have the antenna fixed as well.

Bluetooth works perfectly with 96Khz with my andriod phone. but no dice with Laptop or TV.

Anyone face similar issue?

thefonso

Hello everyone. I am having the exact same problem as this person (hopefully their quote shows up i do not know how to use this site) and have not found a solution. I also have an OLED LG TV i’m trying to connect to the DX7 Pros through SPDIF with audio cutting out at random for a split second. I have tried different optical cables, switching the DAC between sync & async and i’m still having no luck. they mentioned “jittering” as well, would that be the tv jittering the pixels around to avoid burn in? or is it something else?

Hey all, I just created an account to post about how disappointed I was with my DX7 Pro.

I bought mine from Apos, who are great- however Topping support have not been helpful at all with an issue I'm having connecting the DX7 Pro to a LG OLED TV via Optical SPDIF. The issue is, because of jitter from the LG tv, the DX7 drops out occasionally. It seems very random, and I'm not able to attribute it to environmental or program material. I've tried several cables, and even bought a new Surge X power conditioner thinking tht my noisy NYC power was causing clock instability. (the SurgeX attenuated the noise floor on my speakers, but didn't help with the dropouts)

I'm a mix & mastering engineer, and own several high-end pro DACs. I bought the DX7 to connect an older pair of studio monitors to my LG TV.

I emailed Topping support, and oddly, they asked for a video showing the problem. Yep, it's a real problem... After they saw the video they basicly said there is nothing they can do because "spdif is not a good standard".

I emailed Apos, and they suggested buying a different DAC to see if it's an issue with the TV or with the DAC. I bought the SMSL SU-9, which works perfectly (but lacks the headphone amp). I also connected the LG TV to my Crane Song Avocet ii, which also works perfectly.

Long story, and I'm sorry, but to summarize:

1. The SPDIF implementation on the DX7 Pro is poor.
2. Topping support is poor.
3. Apos has been helpful- and I would buy from them again, however it's very important to try things out ASAP and return them right away when they're bad. I'm spoiled by real pro-level gear that just works.

gvl

Major Contributor
Hello everyone. I am having the exact same problem as this person (hopefully their quote shows up i do not know how to use this site) and have not found a solution.

Option A: spend $150 on iFi SPDIF iPurifier and use it between the TV and DX7 pro, it "may" help, but it may add latency - not sure
Option B: get another DAC that is known to work with your TV

Last edited:

thefonso

Option A: spend $150 on iFi SPDIF iPurifier and use it between the TV and DX7 pro, it "may" help, but it may add latency - not sure
Option B: get another DAC that is known to work with your TV

I did some homework about the iPurifier and jittering. I went with the former as i really want to keep the DX7 Pro. I shall post an update when it gets here in a week if the issue has been resolved. Thank you

Reactions: gvl

gvl

Major Contributor
I did some homework about the iPurifier and jittering. I went with the former as i really want to keep the DX7 Pro. I shall post an update when it gets here in a week if the issue has been resolved. Thank you

If the coax input on the Dx7 Pro is unused you can just attach the iPurifier to it without additional cabling as it doubles as an optical to coax converter. It will be interesting to see a confirmation if it helps or doesn't with this kind of issues, please report back.

thefonso

If the coax input on the Dx7 Pro is unused you can just attach the iPurifier to it without additional cabling as it doubles as an optical to coax converter. It will be interesting to see a confirmation if it helps or doesn't with this kind of issues, please report back.

I was actually planning on testing the coax port & conversion as a part of my troubleshooting the jittering. & will do, until then i’ll be sticking with the bluetooth to connect my tv to the Dx7 Pro

Last edited:

thefonso

The ifi came in early, so i tested the device as soon as i got off work. Unfortunately, the audio is still cutting out. What is throwing me off is i previously had the Dx7s and that worked with my tv no problem. Maybe there is something with the new DAC chip that’s more sensitive to jittering. I’m going to be returning the ifi and most likely the Dx7 Pro and get a separate dac and amp for for my studio monitors and headphones

gvl

Major Contributor
The ifi came in early, so i tested the device as soon as i got off work. Unfortunately, the audio is still cutting out. What is throwing me off is i previously had the Dx7s and that worked with my tv no problem. Maybe there is something with the new DAC chip that’s more sensitive to jittering. I’m going to be returning the ifi and most likely the Dx7 Pro and get a separate dac and amp for for my studio monitors and headphones

This is odd as the iFi should, at least in theory, clean the jitter. Can you get any SPDIF source to work with the Dx7 Pro? If not, perhaps the DAC is defective?

thefonso

This is odd as the iFi should, at least in theory, clean the jitter. Can you get any SPDIF source to work with the Dx7 Pro? If not, perhaps the DAC is defective?

i have not tried another toslink signal aside from my TV. I’m retesting with the DAC back in sync mode as i forgot to try both settings, but i will test my consoles’ SPDIF out here soon

mrmeng430

Sorry if this has been discussed, this converter box is new to me. I have a Sony UBP-X800 and I bought https://www.ebay.com/itm/284096906856?var=585589278490 converter box , and have a Topping DX7 Pro DAC. This morning I tried connecting HDMI with DSD from my Sony to this converter box HDMI in and Out via IIS to the Topping DX7 DAC IIS input. It did not work, as the Topping display had no kHz reading. I changed from HDMI out to PCM out via Coaxial on the Sony, and it works now without the converter box. Am I doing something wrong or this Sony player is not compatible with this converter box? Any setting I need to change on the DX7? Thank you in advance for any advice.

gvl

Major Contributor
Sorry if this has been discussed, this converter box is new to me. I have a Sony UBP-X800 and I bought https://www.ebay.com/itm/284096906856?var=585589278490 converter box , and have a Topping DX7 Pro DAC. This morning I tried connecting HDMI with DSD from my Sony to this converter box HDMI in and Out via IIS to the Topping DX7 DAC IIS input. It did not work, as the Topping display had no kHz reading. I changed from HDMI out to PCM out via Coaxial on the Sony, and it works now without the converter box. Am I doing something wrong or this Sony player is not compatible with this converter box? Any setting I need to change on the DX7? Thank you in advance for any advice.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/i2s-via-hdmi-pinout-wiring.26092/

Iirc the Dx7 Pro has a menu that provides some flexibility for different pinouts, check the manual if it can support this box, the pinout for the box is in the thread I linked, I think it's the PS Audio pinout or similar.

Last edited:

thefonso

i have not tried another toslink signal aside from my TV. I’m retesting with the DAC back in sync mode as i forgot to try both settings, but i will test my consoles’ SPDIF out here soon

forgot to report back with my troubleshooting; i could not find a solution despite my best efforts, so i’ve returned the Dx7 Pro and the ifi. but before i sent the unit out for the refund, i also heard much louder floor/white noise that gradually grew over time coming out the dac, even through usb. it’s a damn shame as i was happy with the Dx7s, but this has only made me question if i should go with Topping again

Top Bottom