• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

cbhere

Forum Donor
W

Depends on what you already have. Lets take pishop.us prices for example, most likely similar result with other shops. If you get the Boss2 with aluminium case you get Boss2 + RPI4 2GB+16GB SD card with Moode installed for 153.95USD. The DAC only plastic case version is 99.95USD. So might look like you can save 54USD. Thats only in case you already have a spare RPI and SD card. Separately Pi4 2GB is 35USD. So if you don't have a spare RPI its only 19USD saving. If you tick SD card option on cheap version it adds another 8.95USD. That leaves a saving of 10.05USD. So you would pay that much extra for aluminum case and factory assembly and its just plug and play in case you are happy with preinstalled Moode. Otherwise just a software change. Worth considering. Also you get a ground point on the case which you would need to hack onto the DAC only plastic version if needed. Personally I'd get the DAC only version or even better a DAC (if only it would be available) without case, display, joystick button and remote as I already have a spare PI + few SD cards and I would run Volumio and build a custom case with nice touchscreen + rotary encoder for volume control + buttons on front panel, all the connectors on back side and dual PSU inside to keep it all looking nice. I'd say I might enjoy the building part as much or even more than using it later but for someone who wants an easy working solution the metal version is really the better option.
I believe it should work through squeezelite as long as LMS server is running in the same network, I cannot test it but the screen shot of the option in Moode audio is below:

Attachments

• D6634CC3-C2FE-4391-99CB-AF075EF8602A.jpeg
    D6634CC3-C2FE-4391-99CB-AF075EF8602A.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 185

Elmar.F

Hi Elmar ,

welcome to ASR. You can use both . Also you can switch at any time between players..by flashing the card

Thanks, johan. Which software would you recommend to navigate through the library. 'Random playing' and 'parametric EQ' are a must have.

Regarding the Wifi dongle: BGN or Dual Band ACBGNA. Would you be so kind to explain the differences?

johan

Audio Company
I would advise Moode

WIFI dongle , I would advise the dual band.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does this have optical /coax spdif output or just USB output?

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not yet convinced by a raspberry pi and allo digione using Volumio.
I'm sure it will be great, but for now I prefer the ease (and sound o_O) of the chromecast audio and HiFi-Cast app.
I cannot explain it other than the manual hassle I had with Volumio and the sharp sound which I don't like to listen to.
I know it should all be digital, but still.
I will check out some other software like Mo0de to see if I like that better.
Will also have the Topping Dx7 Pro next week; see how that fares with the raspbarry pi.
It might be the dodgy implementation of spdif in my dac (NAD C510)....or the fact that I am really charmed by good software.

I have google chromcast audio and the HiFi cast app, and I dont think that app is so good. Streaming is very laggish from that app, I used VLC and works so much better.
I think the Rpi4 is the way to go If I decided to change all here at home.

MisOr

Hello!

I'm new on this forum. Thanks Amirm for detailed measurements and Allo for producing such a great hardware piece.

Decided to buy Boss 2 the day before review and I'm happy that it performed so good in tests. I will be hooking this up with an old Polish HiFi system. It's also has an aluminum front - that will be looking ok. It generates a smooth, nearly tube amplifier sound. It was stated at Allo site that Boss2 plays darker than Boss1.2 so I hope they will perform nicely. Can't wait for the delivery - BTW my tracking number just dosen't show anything special right now - but I believe this can be just a delay.
Anyway great job on the review!

Last edited:

Cut-Throat

Hello everybody,

Just registered to this informative website to ask a question regarding this neat little device and hope to get a response.

I'd like to know if the Boss2 is able to access my music library stored on a Synology NAS running Logitech Media Server. If yes, which software would you recommend to choose? Moode Audio or DietPi + Allo GUI?

-Elmar

Yes, it can access Music stored on a Synology NAS. I use LMS via PiCorePlayer to do this. Works flawlessly.

eardiggler

Is there anyway to get Amazon music HD to run on this with software? Right now I use an old Iphone that outputs to an E30 via lightning to USB. But I have no way to control Amazon HD remotely from another computer or device.

michaelahess

I have no need for this, but want one! The $30+ dollars shipping stopped me dead in my tracks though. Once you hit this level of value, but low cost, even the little things can be a turnoff. The pricing on the SD card, wifi adapters, etc, is VERY good though!

Top Bottom