• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best SciFi movies

steve59

Major Contributor

steve59

Major Contributor
I like Fringe better than the X files. What the special effects crew could do in a weeks notice is impressive.

AND WOOHOO season 5 the EXPANSE!!!

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Moonbase Freedom

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like Fringe better than the X files. What the special effects crew could do in a weeks notice is impressive.

AND WOOHOO season 5 the EXPANSE!!!
+1

One of the few shows that warrant re-watching. It seems almost a miracle that such cinematic and frankly great storytelling was put forth in a series.
I believe "The Expanse" to be among the top 5 best Science Fiction cinematic oeuvres... Series or movies. Vying, in my book, for # 1, for the lack of obvious competition ...

Last edited:

Cider

Some of my all time favorites in this thread. I’m just finishing the Three Body Problem trilogy and see that Netflix might make a series of it. Huge expectations here—what could possibly go wrong?

JSmith

Master Contributor
1615864535643.png

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119116/?ref_=tt_mv_close

JSmith

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
+1

One of the few shows that warrant re-watching. It seems almost a miracle that such cinematic and frankly great storytelling was put forth in a series.
I believe "The Expanse" to be among the top 5 best Science Fiction cinematic oeuvres... Series or movies. Vying, in my book, for # 1, for the lack of obvious competition ...
I think Babylon 5 was equally good as a series. Hampered by budget and effects at the time. I'd like to see it remade if done tastefully.

Harlan Ellison was a creative consultant which is good. He has passed which means he can't intervene to piss someone off and ruin it either.

olive00

I’ve just watched the movie Ready Player One and I can recommend it. I really liked the special effects and graphics. The creators managed to convey such an impressive and large-scale virtual world that I wanted to walk along such magnificent streets. The graphics are more like a game, as the virtual world in this film represents the game. These are the stories I like, in this film there is not only great graphics, but also there is a semantic load, intrigue, there is a love line that smoothly flows through the entire film. Everything was enough for me - and the entertainment, the scale of the world of "Oasis", there was fullness and a sense of integrity, and humor did not disappoint. On top of that, I liked the actors' play, everything is organic and appropriate.

JSmith

Master Contributor
The graphics are more like a game, as the virtual world in this film represents the game.
Yeah agree, enjoyed this when I watched it. There are absolutely heaps of hidden references and "easter eggs" in the film too, back to all the old games etc. of the 80's and 90's. :)

JSmith

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Arrival" was real good. "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (the remake) should have been much better than it was.
And any movie with Jennifer Lawrence is always good in terms of eye candy.
I agree with all. But Red Sparrow isn't SciFi while Passengers is.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of my all time favorites in this thread. I’m just finishing the Three Body Problem trilogy and see that Netflix might make a series of it. Huge expectations here—what could possibly go wrong?
A lot . :)

GeorgeWalk

I agree with all. But Red Sparrow isn't SciFi while Passengers is.

I like Passengers also, but I felt it got predictable at the end. Here is an interesting take on how to improve it — Tell the story from Aurora's point of view—It becomes a little more dramatic and mysterious, Jim's character is a little unsettling— Here is a discussion and sample re-cut. https://www.slashfilm.com/passengers-recut/

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One director I could recommend, from the 70s and onward (I think he last movie could be from 2013 or so), his movies are drama-fantasy and all you can imagine, one of the most original directors I have seen:

Alejandro Jodorowsky

El Topo is one good exempel of his kind of movies.

He was suppose to direct Dune I think but something happens and then they call D Lynch.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

hasn"t been mentioned yet in this thread it seems.

Top Bottom