• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best SciFi movies

dajoe

A lot of great stuff mentioned here.

Didn't read everything and not sure it was mentioned: I liked "Devs" a lot.

I actually liked Prometheus, mainly for it's great atmosphere. Unfortunately it all fell apart.

Good SciFi is not easy to find. There are a lot great SciFi novels but so few were adapted well if at all. The Expanse is a really great example that it can work. I'd love to see adaptions of the Culture Novels, Hyperion or some hard SciFi stuff like Neal Stephenson. I don't know if there is a market for it, though. Go Netflix or Amazon!

GeorgeWalk

A lot of great stuff mentioned here.

Didn't read everything and not sure it was mentioned: I liked "Devs" a lot.

I actually liked Prometheus, mainly for it's great atmosphere. Unfortunately it all fell apart.

Good SciFi is not easy to find. There are a lot great SciFi novels but so few were adapted well if at all. The Expanse is a really great example that it can work. I'd love to see adaptions of the Culture Novels, Hyperion or some hard SciFi stuff like Neal Stephenson. I don't know if there is a market for it, though. Go Netflix or Amazon!

I agree on "The Expanse"; awesome series with great writing and directing. The books are great also. I felt a little depressed when I finished the last book. I knew I would have to wait many months for the next one.

Another good scifi series is "For All Mankind" I an not a big fan alternate history scifi, but this series is very good.

The Mandalorian and Rogue One are my favorites from the Star Wars universe.

Andysu

Major Contributor
I agree on "The Expanse"; awesome series with great writing and directing. The books are great also. I felt a little depressed when I finished the last book. I knew I would have to wait many months for the next one.

Another good scifi series is "For All Mankind" I an not a big fan alternate history scifi, but this series is very good.

The Mandalorian and Rogue One are my favorites from the Star Wars universe.
It was all measurable with ackbar in Dolby atmosPlusIIIx and the five screen matrix with ackbar panning across the screen or fixed sounds to, left or maybe right-centre, you ain't seen rogue one until you heard it in five screen. This is the previous JBL control 12SR modified with better JBL 12" 2206, same HF horn 2371. The newer JBL five screen is 4673A that is far more powerful dynamic what a Original six 20th century fox "Star Wars" was made for JBL, Jedi Blaster Lighsters JBL.
Only have rogue one, the ( will be bias) mary sue star wars jar jar abarms, awakens. only had one playing and was only curious as to why it was nominated for best lousy sound mix? Which it was. The movie ended up in the cat litter box.
rogue one, is hardly ever played. It was an unnessuery story by disney.

For a five screen matrix you'll need matching five speakers. Two matching matrix decodes and two Y rca leads. If your are a real star wars fan today then you'd ask me for the rest of the information on how to connect the leads and calibrate it as it takes few hours to calibrate and run tests.

67586376_10157288246545149_1965610521956712448_n.jpg

68542380_10157288244335149_7650464973365182464_n.jpg

This is how it is with the new JBL 4673A. And no, I not played rogue one, on it yet thou I'm sure it would have lower lowers and much more higher, highs now.
140642702_10158856122190149_3186193677952171779_o (2).jpg

MrOtto

Unbreakable (2000)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217869/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

M. Night Shyamalans "The Happening" isn't very good, but Signs was. Haven't seen After Earth, but rating is pretty poor, but this one looks promising "Glass": https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6823368/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_4

Not Sci-fi, but his movies The Village and The Sixt Sense are pretty good. I remember Devil was ok.

Bonus: not a movie or Shyamalans, but the series Tales from the Loop is pretty good, great soundtrack:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8741290/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

TimF

Forum Donor
Tim's Movie Idea: my pitch.

Act One: Opening sequence of scenes.
Imagine: it is 2010, two earth based telescopes identify a series of seven asteroids crossing the solar system in an orbital inclination out of synch with the solar system's plane. Each asteroid on its own is quite large, and they are travelling on the same trajectory in a linear series. By 2012, it is determined that there is a 80% chance that one or more of the series could get so near to earth as to present the danger of collision. By mid-2013 that probability is increased to 90 percent for two of the objects. By year-end 2015, it is determined there is a 98% likelihood that three of the objects will strike the earth, and 90% confidence that three of the objects will pass close enough to the earth as to possibly strike the earth in 54 years--2069. The orbit and trajectory of the series of asteroids is such that they are and will be very far from earth for the next 45 years--equivalent to the distance between Jupiter and Saturn. It is only in the last few years before the impact with earth that they get near to earth.
Act Two: year 2025
Scene 1, 2 and 3: It is 2025: three scenes from three schools: college, high school and grade school. In each school we witness an in-classroom seminar-like open discussion about the quality of life and 'appropriate' attitudinal response that is 'healthy' to maintain in light of the 'asteroid event' projected for late 2069 and early 2070. The students are given an official statement of the latest determined technological possibility of deflecting the series of asteroid which are still very far from earth.
Act Three: year 2040.
Scene One: Earth base on the moon in high activity phase building a moon base to launch a series of devices that offer the greatest possibility to deflect/destroy the seven asteroids. A group of 20 to 25 people are on a weekend work-break in a lunar "resort" module for rest and relaxation. The scene is not about tech talk, but most specifically not about tech talk as the individuals try to avoid the strain they've barely learned to live with.
Scene Two: ?
Act Four: year 2060
Scene One: Seattle, Washington, as of about 2050 it was determined that there was no possibility to prevent the catastrophic collision of at least three and possibly five asteroids of the series of seven. They would strike the earth over a period of two months in late 2069 and early 2070.
Boeing Engineering and Avionics meeting with 75 employees in discussion about layoffs as Boeing is shutting down its major units over a five-year period, and this is the last year of the five years.
Scene Two: High school in Lincoln, NE. Graduation. Small graduation class. No mention of the asteroids but the actuality infuses the scene and not in a bizarre or cold way, but in a warm, human, compassionate way.

jefny

I just played my bluray version of the Fifth Element which is gorgeous to look at.

jefny.

fraa

The Expanse is really good. After watching the final season, I started to read the books, wanting to know what happens after. I am now reading the fifth book, which corresponds to season 5.

Some of the less obvious movies I liked are: Minority Report, Independence Day, Tommorowland, Highlander, and The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

I am looking forward to watching Ringworld, but also dreading it.

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
I'll be the one to say it
Doctor Who.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Expanse is really good. After watching the final season, I started to read the books, wanting to know what happens after. I am now reading the fifth book, which corresponds to season 5.

Some of the less obvious movies I liked are: Minority Report, Independence Day, Tommorowland, Highlander, and The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

I am looking forward to watching Ringworld, but also dreading it.
Oh please don't let them wreck Ringworld. I'm just now reading the Three Body Problem trilogy. I'm on The Dark Forrest and I'm wondering when someone makes this into cinema and hoping they do it justice b/c it's superb sci-fi.

steve59

Major Contributor
started watching 'dark' last night, suspense is pretty good.

fraa

Oh please don't let them wreck Ringworld. I'm just now reading the Three Body Problem trilogy. I'm on The Dark Forrest and I'm wondering when someone makes this into cinema and hoping they do it justice b/c it's superb sci-fi.
I read all three of the Three Body Problem trilogy. I thought the second is the best.

According to Wikipedia,
  • An American TV series based on the book has been ordered by Netflix, with David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, and Alexander Woo set to write and executive produce.[49] The Netflix adaptation began production on 1 November 2021, with a scheduled finish date in August 2022. The earliest possible release date is late 2022.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read all three of the Three Body Problem trilogy. I thought the second is the best.

According to Wikipedia,
  • An American TV series based on the book has been ordered by Netflix, with David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, and Alexander Woo set to write and executive produce.[49] The Netflix adaptation began production on 1 November 2021, with a scheduled finish date in August 2022. The earliest possible release date is late 2022.
Here's hoping it's not another Cowboy Bebop!

Offler

This will be a bit longer list as i am fan of cyberpunk movies:

Ghost in the Shell (1995, original animated)
Blade Runner
(short stories in between)
Blade Runner 2049
Dune (2021)
Cowboy Bebop (original series and animated movie)
Johny Mnemonic
Matrix
Gattaca
Dredd (new one)
Moon
Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy

Movies which are technically Sci-fi but i consider them to be bit different genre (mysterious movie, horror or action movie):
Dark city
Alien

Movies I would reccommend, but I havent seen them yet:
District 9
The Cell

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm just now reading the Three Body Problem trilogy. I'm on The Dark Forrest and I'm wondering when someone makes this into cinema and hoping they do it justice b/c it's superb sci-fi.
I love how Xixin Liu reveals the smoke and mirrors behind his "supernatural" story elements, then sucker-punches the reader by revealing that the reality is much, much stranger!

Top Bottom