• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3-Body Problem

Repdetect

Forum Donor
I read about 1/3 of the first book, fond it too slow, never finished.
I had read all the Hugo & Nebula Award winners while in college, no problem.
Started watching the version (Chinese) on Amazon, way too boring and I thought acting wasn't very good (could be a cultural issue).
Started Netflix version, first episodes a bit slow, but by the 3&4th episodes I liked it a lot and loved the last episodes. More poignant than GOT.
Highly recommended... to the end.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I finished it yesterday and it was worse than I thought at first, obvious plot holes in the main story, cringy characters, wooden dialogs, cheesy ending, I'm not waiting for another season and hopefully I will erase it from my memory in a week

ExPerfectionist

theres one bit that had me incredulous

to avoid spoilers they had to retrieve an article from an enemy ship and they go about it in any extremely novel and violent manner that results in huge loss of innocent life and materiel

also the name of the ship is hugely 'on the nose'

in a normal world they would rappel in seal team six off a stealth blackhawk or use rubber zodiacs with machine guns to intercept in the dead of night but these guys???

let us use some space age tech to annihilate a ship and everyone on board... in broad daylight

ALSO Auggie is the only one who objects to this apparent war crime which is odd...

As with everything, this part is much more in-depth in the book. But they deliberated a lot over the plans because unless they were able to get everyone quickly and silently and without alarm, there was the risk of someone destroying (with 1000~ people on the ship) the hard drive before they could get to it. The spacing of the wires was even so that it wouldn't miss anyone even if they were laying down asleep. In the book I think they were probably a foot apart, not like 3~ feet on the show.

Also FYI, there's a
spoiler tag
you can use to write things out and hide them. In the bar at the top of the reply box, it's on the right side, the eye with the line through it, between the quote mark and the Insert Table icon.

Mr_RGB

I'm a big fan of the book Trilogy. I think they did very well with humanizing the characters from the books that were rather one dimensional and not very sympathetic. I'm glad they seem to be including most of the crazy thought experiment level "science" like the "Sophons". This makes me hopeful that they will keep in some of the even crazier science fantasy found in the 2nd and 3rd books. Overall I was impressed with the adaptation.

OP
F

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not started it yet, I’m currently watching Constellation on Apple TV, up to episode 7 with final episode this Wednesday and it’s quite a mind f**k but worth watching, kinda similar premise to 3body problem I expect.
Started watching it last Friday. May have to open a thread on "Constellation".. I am at Episode 4, refusing hard to binge..
It is very, very good.
People! Do take notice, in spite of spiking cost of Video Streaming, we are living still in a golden age of Video Shows.. Call it "TV" if you will..
Triple Wow for "Constellation:, so far..
Acting seems to be well above 3-Body's. Yes a mind-f**#k :)

Peace

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did not enjoy it. Didn't connect with any characters. Didn't get hooked by the story. Nice production, but ultimatly found it boring.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Started watching it last Friday. May have to open a thread on "Constellation".. I am at Episode 4, refusing hard to binge..
It is very, very good.
People! Do take notice, in spite of spiking cost of Video Streaming, we are living still in a golden age of Video Shows.. Call it "TV" if you will..
Triple Wow for "Constellation:, so far..
Acting seems to be well above 3-Body's. Yes a mind-f**#k :)

Peace

Have you watched DEVS - quantum bit computing, the many worlds scenario, keeping you glued till the end then rewatching again

Top Bottom