• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Khadas Tone2 Pro Review (DAC & Amp)

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dial is silly. Too bad there is no volulme on the RCA analog output.
Really, is the volume control only for the headphone amp? And so it doesn't function as an pre-amp?

Gouwa

Audio Company
Hey @Gouwa will the 48khz issue be fixed in an firmwareupdate?

Will this improvement be by firmware update or new hardware?

It's confirmed not hardware matter and this improvement is by upgrading a new firmware. But unfortunately the registor value is only able to be set/write via the co-processor, so common firmware upgrading like XMOS proessor via USB not work, more details:
1614332721741.png

Hey. Will this be firmware updated? Im close to order one!

You can wait for somewhile if this improvement comes important for you, and our future batches will support both firmwares upgrading via USB cable(hardware design already support).

soundcheck

Hi.

I own a KTB (T1) for quite a while. Nice to see a T2P popping up. And thx for the review. It obviously helps to improve the product.

Do I understand it correctly that the coming T2P batches will have an option to get the Sabre and/or the onboard MCU programmed via XMOS?

One of the IMO major weaknesses of Tone1 was to not have direct access to the Sabre with its high quality internal volume control and filter settings via USB.
Having the Sabre VC accessible via USB would have quite some advantages. First of it's a high quality 32-bit VC. You could stream DSD and run volume control on it - no need for mediocre analog domain VC. You don't need a flimsy IR control and can run VC from your smartphone-app (in my case squeezelite-controller). Basically you could forget about the T2P control knob and IR.
@Gouwa - would be great if you could consider this, while working on firmware changes. I know it's possible. Others have done it!

Now. The jitter graph Amir presented looked a bit odd (off). I am wondering if that's related to the poor DPLL setting!?!?

@amirm
I read some "first listening impressions" about the T2P elsewhere. Overall quite positive I'd say. Confirming the rather good (and soon probably quite a bit better) measurements. It seems to me though that there's a joint impression in the air that the DAC lacks a bit
of "energy".
Since we are @ASR, there should be a kind of "scientific" explanation for "lack of energy", sometimes also called weight and body I guess.
When looking at the board layout I don't see much of buffer capacity close to the output stage. I am wondering how your
measurements would show such an, let's call it "transient response" (delivering enough energy at the right time) effect, or whatever you'd like to call it of such an analog output-stage?

Thx folks.

buz

Forum Donor
Any chance to get PEQ working on the xmos? Xmos even has sample code to do so...

Edit: I might even consider a paid upgrade for that

Last edited:

Tofffsy

Hello, i need a new DAC now and have absolutely no interest in other features like screen, remote, headphone amp etc... there is a lot of DACs that measure excellently on the market, so what would be the best option for pure DAC sound performance ? This Khadas tone 2 pro module with linear power supply vs Loxjie D50 vs SMSL M400 vs Topping D30pro and others? Thanks

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello, i need a new DAC now and have absolutely no interest in other features like screen, remote, headphone amp etc... there is a lot of DACs that measure excellently on the market, so what would be the best option for pure DAC sound performance ? This Khadas tone 2 pro module with linear power supply vs Loxjie D50 vs SMSL M400 vs Topping D30pro and others? Thanks
This is the KTB2 review thread so a little unfair to compare to pricier (DAC only) stuff. But anyway imho the A30Pro+D30Pro is the pinnacle of performance at acceptable price(?), to be released though.. and takes up a lot more desk space than the khadas.

Massimo

It's confirmed not hardware matter and this improvement is by upgrading a new firmware. But unfortunately the registor value is only able to be set/write via the co-processor, so common firmware upgrading like XMOS proessor via USB not work, more details:

You can wait for somewhile if this improvement comes important for you, and our future batches will support both firmwares upgrading via USB cable(hardware design already support).

How will you resolve this problem for those that have purchased one from the first batches with OCxxxx and 11xxxx?

respice finem

Major Contributor

Gabriel1

View attachment 114977

two questions here.
one I just received my unit yesterday and is the 11xxxxx batch how will you handle my upgrade, I’ve not yet used this unit and willing to do anything to get the update........or will you provide and RMA And replace or refund the device. I feel I made a big mistake as an earlier supporter for this product.

also still no answer to the question as to wether the CLOCK MODES are user adjustable as amirm suggested in his review?

please help!

PNCZ

Welp, I'm eagerly waiting for my unit, but I'm quite terrified I have made a huge mistake. I went for this unit due to the fact it's supposed to be a great AMP/DAC for Tidal streaming. I'll be using it for my HD 560s cans via balanced out. Not to sure what to think now as per other comments, though.

Gabriel1

Welp, I'm eagerly waiting for my unit, but I'm quite terrified I have made a huge mistake. I went for this unit due to the fact it's supposed to be a great AMP/DAC for Tidal streaming. I'll be using it for my HD 560s cans via balanced out. Not to sure what to think now as per other comments, though.

it is past midnight in China now and responses should not be expected until business hours! That said having just received my unit I’m trusting that the company (which has always been solid in my experience) will come through for its customer. I will keep you posted here. ( I’ve also reach out via email and am waiting for reply).

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor

PNCZ

it is past midnight in China now and responses should not be expected until business hours! That said having just received my unit I’m trusting that the company (which has always been solid in my experience) will come through for its customer. I will keep you posted here. ( I’ve also reach out via email and am waiting for reply).

Thanks, that's cool. I am fairly new to all of this so when it comes to reading graphs and all, I have very limited knowledge, so I'm not quite sure whether I'll even notice that something ain't right with it. All I'm looking for is the best bang for buck with the highest quality unit and this one seemed to check all the boxes. So here I am, confused.

Massimo

What a sorry situation. My Soncox LA-QXD1 failed (as reported by numerous others in this forum) and was replaced, after a 3 month wait, with a KTB2 Pro. I expected given past failures with Soncoz units the designer (common to both as I understand) would have thoroughly tested any new devices prior to release. It seems this is not the case. I would appreciate also appreciate a statement from the company/designer that they will step up and resolve the issues raised in this review for owners of first generation KTB2 Pro's. At least my KTB2 is still running, unlike my Soncoz unit which cooked itself and failed.

TimW

Major Contributor
What a sorry situation. My Soncox LA-QXD1 failed (as reported by numerous others in this forum) and was replaced, after a 3 month wait, with a KTB2 Pro. I expected given past failures with Soncoz units the designer (common to both as I understand) would have thoroughly tested any new devices prior to release. It seems this is not the case. I would appreciate also appreciate a statement from the company/designer that they will step up and resolve the issues raised in this review for owners of first generation KTB2 Pro's. At least my KTB2 is still running, unlike my Soncoz unit which cooked itself and failed.
What is the issue with the KTB2 Pro exactly?

olivier salad

Why can't all these Chinese manufacturers produce problem-free device? It seems that in most cases there are some bugs and sometimes they aren't fixable by a firmware update. Customers don't have to beta test hardware at their own expense.

dskelto

Why can't all these Chinese manufacturers produce problem-free device? It seems that in most cases there are some bugs and sometimes they aren't fixable by a firmware update. Customers don't have to beta test hardware at their own expense.
Long time lurker, first time posting - I agree generally, but to be honest I can not hear this "issue"in operation of the device. I totally get the the concerns born of the measurements, but I wonder if these concerns are appropriately weighed aqainst the value proposition of a great sounding balanced dac/ headphone amp solution at $250. I am running the Tone 2 (with an apple power supply) as a balanced dac only into an A90 and it sounds fantastic. (w/ Hifiman Arya btw).

TimW

Major Contributor
Is this the issue posters are referring to?
1614380765834.png

Please read Amir's comments written on the graph here, this is much more of a measurement issue then a performance issue. It does not affect usability or even audible performance.

If the issue you are referring to is the LED color system for changing settings then I understand, it sounds tedious and confusing. However do not be confused into thinking this is a poorly performing product.

Labjr

Major Contributor

I've said the same thing previously. It does seem like customers are beta testing for some manufacturers. I'd wait before ordering products as soon as they're available from certain manufacturers. Especially if there's not a local distributor.

Top Bottom