• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Audio Corner gets a Klippel NFS!

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Not many can say their Porsche can measure speakers. :p

LOL. That Honda is a loooooong way from a Porsche. But I'm still tickled you thought it looked like one. That means from a distance, I'll look like a baller to everyone on the road. Until they pass me. :D :D

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL. That Honda is a loooooong way from a Porsche. But I'm still tickled you thought it looked like one. That means from a distance, I'll look like a baller to everyone on the road. Until they pass me. :D:D
Dude, you missed my point. :facepalm:

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Dude, you missed my point. :facepalm:

lol. Yea, I see that now. My bad. Someone made a comment a few months back that I had a Porsche in my driveway ... and then I corrected them that it was my Honda Civic. I was thinking that was you and just your way of bringing that joke back to life. ;)

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL. That Honda is a loooooong way from a Porsche. But I'm still tickled you thought it looked like one. That means from a distance, I'll look like a baller to everyone on the road. Until they pass me. :D:D
Time for a custom bumper sticker: "My other expensive car's a Klippel."

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Time for a custom bumper sticker: "My other expensive car's a Klippel."

1611685336684.png

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I've intended to create an "FAQ" of sorts on measurements for some time now. However, since I've had questions asked about measurements (i.e., what does this measurement mean, how do I measure, etc) I was thinking that it might be more helpful if I did a live Q&A. You join, ask your question(s) and I answer what I can and will be honest about what I cannot answer. I think going this route will be more beneficial because you guys can ask pointed questions rather than me trying to make a catch-all.

So, if you have questions about my speaker driver or loudspeaker measurements or really anything else related to what I am doing with my reviews, please feel free to join me and ask. I may even share the link so you can join me live and talk "face to face".

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Getting a little closer. Just received this email from the sales manager at KLIPPEL.
The NFS is ready to be picked up for transport from the KLIPPEL office. :)

Dear Erin,

The KLIPPEL Near Field Scanner System is ready for pick-up.
Please find attached the Pro forma Invoice and packing list. These documents will accompany the shipment.

Unfortunately we cannot use FedEx for shipping this time, because of the package dimensions.
We will use our freight forwarder DB Schenker.
That means you can also jot use the FedEx customs broker for the import this time.

Import tax and duty and customs clearance will be the responsibility of you.
KLIPPEL cannot take over the import clearance into the United States because KLIPPEL Germany is not a registered business entity in the United States and we don’t have the necessary import permits, licenses or authorizations.

You may contact your local DB Schenker in order to plan the import and to get a quote.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

So, Here's to hoping the import fees are not very costly. :confused:

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Just donated. Godspeed!

BTW I have those 7" Illuminators you reviewed recently in a closed box 2-way. The review was super helpful.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
KLIPPEL cannot take over the import clearance into the United States because KLIPPEL Germany is not a registered business entity in the United States and we don’t have the necessary import permits, licenses or authorizations.
Sounds like Klippel needs a USA distributor. ;)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Sounds like Klippel needs a USA distributor. ;)

Man if this goes on in this speed, ASR will give a Klippel nest!
Somthing like: You are a ASR member? Yes! Cool than you have a Klippel at home? Ummpff.;)

Last edited:

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here's an example of a car audio speaker I measured yesterday with the new beta software. You can see the x-axis frequency bins are now more manageable than with the previous Klippel software. I also like how they have the gray/white y-axis.

View attachment 108347

This is a good looking graph for sure. One thing I like about it is that the Y-axis is actually labelled, and even though this is something that could almost be taken for granted, too often I'll see a graph where the Y-axis will just have something like "SPL".

That said, I haven't quite come to terms with the text that gives meaning to the numbers on the Y-axis. For absolute sound pressure the units are Pa, and the reference value for pressure in dB (i.e., for SPL) is 20 uPa. The labelling suggests that pressure is normalized to 1 V, and I'm not convinced that this is correct or that V even belongs on there. Of course it is reasonable to include something to say that the pressure reading is taken at a distance of 1 m and with 2.83 Volts. (And of course 2.83 V came into being because this is the voltage corresponding to 1 Watt power dissipation in an 8 Ohm load, but this is just background information that isn't pertinent to the labelling - only 2.83 V is pertinent to the labelling.)

This is obviously a nitpick, but nevertheless I tried to convince myself that it makes sense but I wasn't able to think it completely through. Maybe I'll think about it some more later, or maybe it will come to me during my sleep tonight.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Just donated. Godspeed!

BTW I have those 7" Illuminators you reviewed recently in a closed box 2-way. The review was super helpful.

Thank you so much. That is a huge, huge help.

And glad to see you're using the Scans. They are incredible drive units for sure.

whazzup

This question popped up in my head:
klippel is more accurate than say, a umik-1, but has anyone compared the two, using both to measure the same speaker?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
This question popped up in my head:
klippel is more accurate than say, a umik-1, but has anyone compared the two, using both to measure the same speaker?

I haven't compared anechoic measurements. But, really, you're just comparing the mics. Not the measurement methods (assuming the methods would be the exact same; as they should be for a proper comparison). With a cal file the difference shouldn't matter.

That said, I have provided the actual in-room response measured via the UMIK-1 with the moving mic method overlaid with the SPIN predicted in-room response and the results line up pretty dang well. You can find those in all my loudspeaker reviews.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
My NFS has shipped!

Dear Erin,

I would like to inform you that your KLIPPEL Near Field Scanner System is on the way.
You can check the tracking details at Schenker Tracking with the following Schenker reference number: [snipped]
Please check the packages at receipt as any damage due to transport has to be reported to Schenker immediately.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

:D

giphy.gif

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't compared anechoic measurements. But, really, you're just comparing the mics. Not the measurement methods (assuming the methods would be the exact same; as they should be for a proper comparison). With a cal file the difference shouldn't matter.

That said, I have provided the actual in-room response measured via the UMIK-1 with the moving mic method overlaid with the SPIN predicted in-room response and the results line up pretty dang well. You can find those in all my loudspeaker reviews.
Since you asked amir (in this post), I am going to ask you :) Have you picked the mic you are using with your NFS?

Comparison: Amir's Microtech Gefell is rated to 146 dB SPL at ≤3% THD. UMIK-1 is 133 dB SPL at ≤1% THD.

Jdunk54nl

Since you asked amir (in this post), I am going to ask you :) Have you picked the mic you are using with your NFS?

Comparison: Amir's Microtech Gefell is rated to 146 dB SPL at ≤3% THD. UMIK-1 is 133 dB SPL at ≤1% THD.

I believe he is using an earthworks M23 microphone IIRC.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

@Jdunk54nl got it. I've been using the Earthworks M23 since the beginning. And just so everyone is clear: the UMIK-1 has never been used for my anechoic measurements. The UMIK-1 is only ever used for in-room RTA purposes. That's it. ;)

KLIPPEL also provides a microphone with the NFS. If you are curious, here is the info for that:
Mic 255 IEPE 1/2" Set 1.00 Unit 1,100.00 1,100.00
Item No.: 2400-012
low noise - high sensitivity standard mic, 50 mV/Pa,
max. 135 dB, prepolarized cartridge, IEPE powered pre-amp;
incl. mic, case, sensitivity chart, mic clip, 5 m BNC cable
https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/klippel/Bilder/Our_Products/R-D_System/PDF/A4_Microphones.pdf

It is possible I may purchase a second M23 just so I won't have to swap back and forth from the NFS and my other tests (transducers, and cea-2010 ground plane) but that's another $500 I don't have at the moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom