• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
I built one of these as dual-mono amp and can confirm that the "lit LEDs" is normal behavior. As Walzingbear mentioned, output wires should "go into" the terminals the other way. On my build (after a forum member mentioned it), I went in and fixed it, but not sure how big a deal it actually is. I claim no superior knowledge on the subject, but I am really enjoying my Amp!
Do you mean the screw terminals or the speaker wire terminals?

doug2761

Forum Donor
What's the issue you're seeing with the terminal wiring?
The guidance is that the output wires should be inserted the same direction into each terminal. In your unit the negative wire is inserted into the negative terminal approaching from the opposite direction as the positiver wire is inserted into the positive terminal. Folks say that this creates a loop that can pick up interference. The cleaner method is to insert the negative terminal wire into the negative terminal approaching from the same direction that the positive wire is inserted into the positive post. Doing that is challenging with these thicker wires. I can't imagine that it will sound any different but it's better cable dressing.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Recently acquired a pair of NC400 mono amps, and nothing obviously stands out as wrong with them, but they definitely weren't assembled by a professional assembler, and when they're powered on the NC400 modules have strips of red LEDs all lit up, which... anecdotally tends not to align with STATUS_OK in my varied life experiences.

I couldn't find anything about these LEDs in the Hypex datasheet.

Attached are some images of the wiring on the inside of each mono amp. It seems like it's wired correctly, though the "Mute" switch inline of one of the connections seems odd.
I don't like the lack of electrical insulation from the attached pic, but the rest of the wiring and plugs seem fine (well, the GND from the XLR plug seems very close to the hot pin).

Attachments

• Electrical_wiring.png
    Electrical_wiring.png
    896.9 KB · Views: 206

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
These leds are part of the voltage regulators circuitry. Not as indicators but certainly as voltage references.
Why on earth should the documentation even mention them?
So red is the correct color?
I understand @Nathan_A misgiving the red as some type of warning indicator.
Yea, why nothing in the documentation on them? :mad:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Ask Hypex :)
These red LEDs are installed on all Hypex low noise voltage regulators. I personally always considered them as an indication of "looks like there is juice inside"

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I do remember reading about them being a voltage dropper in some document from Hypex.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The guidance is that the output wires should be inserted the same direction into each terminal. In your unit the negative wire is inserted into the negative terminal approaching from the opposite direction as the positiver wire is inserted into the positive terminal. Folks say that this creates a loop that can pick up interference.

Folks such as Bruno Putzeys. :)

PaulD

Red LEDs have lower noise than other colours and they are used as a voltage reference (commonly), so the noise is an important consideration. There is no aesthetic decision around red LEDs, it is purely technical.

bobof

Forum Donor
It always strikes me when I look at these units that it is a shame they're such a sea of cabling inside; almost understandable with the NC400. but that even goes for the likes of product made professionally using this or other OEM units from Hypex. So little effort put into the system engineering.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It always strikes me when I look at these units that it is a shame they're such a sea of cabling inside; almost understandable with the NC400. but that even goes for the likes of product made professionally using this or other OEM units from Hypex. So little effort put into the system engineering.

Not sure you can blame Hypex for the integrators making a mess of how they install the modules. The modules themselves have a pretty tidy layout.

bobof

Forum Donor
Not sure you can blame Hypex for the integrators making a mess of how they install the modules. The modules themselves have a pretty tidy layout.
Sure, wasn't putting it at Hypex's door at all! Just an observation on the state of the market of these and I guess what happens when the bar is low to entry...!

While I recognize that some of the modules request some effort for a clean integration, some don't. NC500 is extremely flexible in example.
If you don't know the requirements, you can't judge the quality of the system engineering.
Even on the NC500 units there are some pretty lazy implementations out there, basically NC500+small change to the OEM eval board; and inspite of the modules being able to solve much, still a mass of wires. Of course there are some very good as well.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Sure, wasn't putting it at Hypex's door at all! Just an observation on the state of the market of these and I guess what happens when the bar is low to entry...!

Even on the NC500 units there are some pretty lazy implementations out there, basically NC500+small change to the OEM eval board; and inspite of the modules being able to solve much, still a mass of wires. Of course there are some very good as well.
I will soon publish some nudies of my NCxxxMP based amplifiers, I will be glad to hear your opinion.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Indeed. Seems these days pretty much anyone with a shed, garage or extra guest room can get the modules, put them in a box, and call themselves a "designer" or "manufacturer" :(

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Not sure my opinion / prejudice is worth that much, but anyway :).
Worth much more than the one from thousands of people who have no issues with the spaghetti plates they are presented...
Indeed. Seems these days pretty much anyone with a shed, garage or extra guest room can get the modules, put them in a box, and call themselves a "designer" or "manufacturer" :(
This is true, but in the other way, if one want to dip toes in the audio business while controling the risks, they are a blessing. The guy in the shed will build power amplifiers only, addressing a dying and very limited part of the market

doug2761

Forum Donor
Folks such as Bruno Putzeys. :)
Yep. I've had those wires installed both ways and I can't hear a difference. I don't have equipment to measure a difference if it does exist. The wiring diagram that came with the DIY kit shows these connecting from opposite directions so builders choice. That wiring diagram may have been drawn that way to emphasize which wire goes to which screw-down terminal. I get a bit neurotic on these things and had to try both ways.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. I've had those wires installed both ways and I can't hear a difference.

The difference would probably be high-frequency (low-level) noise.

Top Bottom