• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

lucadoc

Nope, by looking at the plate I could say that it's limited at 120hz...but I'm not sure

5)Low Level Filter Bypass - In = Filter in operation - Out = Filter Bypassed.
L.F.E. Position the filter is opened wide to allow the optimum performance from processor
6)Frequency Contour, set up so as to integrate with main loudspeakers.

1596698406479.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That answer is not entirely correct. It only applies to class D amps with floating/balanced outputs.

Here's the OEM NC-400 output section for reference.

1596703164522.png

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks! Clearly shows the output being ground-referenced, so not floating nor balanced.
To make things clear for everybody, this doesn't mean that it can be tied to something that is not floating: feedback is taken at both FBLH and FBLC. Tying FBLC to a fixed point would create a mess in the feedback structure.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To make things clear for everybody, this doesn't mean that it can be tied to something that is not floating: feedback is taken at both FBLH and FBLC. Tying FBLC to a fixed point would create a mess in the feedback structure.

Not sure about that, as FLBC is already tied through only 0.3 Ω (the 3 parallel 1 Ω resistors) to a fixed point - ground.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to admit I didn't dig in further.
But...

Fair enough, problem is that without further explanation, the Hypex text could also mean "don't assume it is OK to connect the speaker return to whatever ground point".

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

meinhard57

I thought the group might like to see the finished product - Hypex NC400 Full Dual Mono DIY Build, using the Ghent 300mm case. BTW - I am not bragging, just for info :). I didn't like the binding posts that Ghent supplied, so I sourced some pure copper ones from AliExpress (took 3 weeks to arrive). Also, Ghent supplied screws that were too short for the LED board - had to go out and but some at the hardware store. Overall - no complaints - the Ghent case is really beautiful! There is another version of this same case that can be used to build a 3-channel unit (although it is a little tight). Total unit weighs in at 11.75 lbs.

View attachment Hypex-NC400-Ghent-DIY-6.jpg
View attachment Hypex-NC400-Ghent-DIY-4.jpg
View attachment Hypex-NC400-Ghent-DIY-2.jpg

View attachment Hypex-NC400-Ghent-DIY-1.jpg

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I thought the group might like to see the finished product - Hypex NC400 Full Dual Mono DIY Build, using the Ghent 300mm case. BTW - I am not bragging, just for info :). I didn't like the binding posts that Ghent supplied, so I sourced some pure copper ones from AliExpress (took 3 weeks to arrive). Also, Ghent supplied screws that were too short for the LED board - had to go out and but some at the hardware store. Overall - no complaints - the Ghent case is really beautiful! There is another version of this same case that can be used to build a 3-channel unit (although it is a little tight). Total unit weighs in at 11.75 lbs.

View attachment 78925
View attachment 78926
View attachment 78927

View attachment 78928
Nice!
A small improvement you could try to implement is to have the speaker cables connected to the boards in a way that avoids forming a loop. This would decrease the EMI inside the box. But I am nitpicking.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice!
A small improvement you could try to implement is to have the speaker cables connected to the boards in a way that avoids forming a loop. This would decrease the EMI inside the box. But I am nitpicking.

Not just nitpicking - Bruno has made it pretty clear that that is how it should be wired. The cables should definitely not go out in opposite directions.

meinhard57

Nice!
Thanks for the comment - how would I do this? Is the issue the way the speaker cables are connected on opposite sides of the terminals? Or the length of the cables? I appreciate the input... Bob

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the comment - how would I do this? Is the issue the way the speaker cables are connected on opposite sides of the terminals? Or the length of the cables? I appreciate the input... Bob

The connection on opposite sides. Ideally the cables should go out towards each other. You want to minimize the loop area (especially near the circuitry).

meinhard57

The connection on opposite sides. Ideally the cables should go out towards each other. You want to minimize the loop area (especially near the circuitry).
Thanks. Hard to do with 12 AWG wire, but I’ll give it a shot. Bob

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Not just nitpicking - Bruno has made it pretty clear that that is how it should be wired. The cables should definitely not go out in opposite directions.
Do you have a link where he explains why?
From my measurements on other Ncore, it was quite heavily impacting channel separation, I would be curious to learn if Bruno identified other effects.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks. Hard to do with 12 AWG wire, but I’ll give it a shot. Bob
Well, 12 AWG on such a short length is just for bragging rights (very important when DIYing I must recognize).
If you have smaller gauge in a drawer, that will make your life easier.

Top Bottom