• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Salk WoW1 Bookshelf Speaker Review

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My take on these measurements:

Regardless of whether this is a dud or this is how all of the Wow1's measure, it clearly wasn't Salk's intent. That's not a defense of the measurements, just wondering where things went amiss. The on-axis posted on Salk's site doesn't match the result here at all, and I find it hard to believe one would design a speaker with such an otherwise flat on-axis(it's very good other than the 500-700hz hole), and well-controlled horizontal directivity just to to leave a big ol' hole in the mids like that.

Curious to see what the response is!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
This is one of those times when we must wait and show some respect to the manufacturer, allowing them the opportunity to investigate what's happened.

If I were them I'd want that speaker back and have it measured and take one off the line and measure that too . Go from there .

Hopefully as we go forward a degree of maturity in such instances will prevail on all sides .

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I have often looked at Salk speakers over the years, and while this result is certainly a disappointment, I would still be interested in Salk speakers. Makes me wonder how my Monitor Audio PL200 would measure? Too bad they are such monsters to ship or it might be worth testing them and see. Subjectively I think they sound wonderful.

Itay

Another gr8 review as always.

Amir, regarding the impedance graph, I think it would be better to scale it/them to 10Hz-20Khz or 20Hz-20kHz since impedance below/above those frequencies is irrelevant anyway and it will also spread the graph better to see the details.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have often looked at Salk speakers over the years, and while this result is certainly a disappointment, I would still be interested in Salk speakers. Makes me wonder how my Monitor Audio PL200 would measure? Too bad they are such monsters to ship or it might be worth testing them and see. Subjectively I think they sound wonderful.

I would look at Salk's larger designs, and spec a back-facing flared port, which they do. To tune low for this sort of box size while using a front slot necessitates compromises, and compounded by the temperamental midbass driver. Moreover, internal volume is made even lower because of using MDF enclosures. SOTA active monitors in this size class like the 8030 and KH120 are using cast aluminium because it allows for a sturdy cabinet with a much thinner wall size, increasing internal volume and ability to tune low (especially with exotic port designs). I've always thought the Songsurround designs upwards were more interesting.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Another gr8 review as always.

Amir, regarding the impedance graph, I think it would be better to scale it/them to 10Hz-20Khz or 20Hz-20kHz since impedance below/above those frequencies is irrelevant anyway and it will also spread the graph better to see the details.
I extended the range a while ago to have some coverage/peak at what is going on above 20 kHz in case it correlates with what is going on below.

uwotm8

Looks acceptable overall. THD rise @30Hz in a compact bookshelf, well, what else did you expect? :)
Cutting low bass from almost ANY small speaker will help to produce better result on higher frequencies (surprise!). Hello good old subsonic filter.

uwotm8

Most of current speaker models produced by large and reputable companies are pretty okayish in terms of measurements (at least, on-axis FR). Some of MA PL were measured by Stereophile and they're pretty good.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need a good reason to unpack it. These are so beautifully finished that if at all possible, I don't want to disturb the other sample. If someone gives me a good reason why the performance should be different, then I will ask the owner if he is OK with it.

Even if I did unpack it, the full measurement scan will take entire evening and an hour of processing and analysis. To give you guys an estimate of "opportunity cost," the US distributor for Klippel chargers $1,000 for basic measurements.
As I showed in post #3, the manufacture gives a frequency response graph (assuming on-axis) and it doesn’t match what you got.

EDIT; Didn’t see your response in post #83.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As I showed in post #3, the manufacture gives a frequency response graph (assuming on-axis) and it doesn’t match what you got.
That measurement only starts at 200 Hz:

1595406531183.png

That usually indicates it is gated. If so, then its resolution is extremely poor in the region of our interest.

The date on the graph is 2013. You want to assure me that nothing has changed since then?

There is this note on the company website:

1595406732365.png

Where did that 48 Hz come from? It is not from the above graph so there must be another measurement.

So I suggest we wait for the company to respond instead of spinning our wheels creating work for ourselves.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While I don't find the measurements itself particularly worrying (tonally speaking for a close-range speaker), I'm not a fan of having to rely on EQ on a passive speaker for quality sound reproduction. The sole reason a passive speaker exist today is to make life easier for those who don't want any form of complications or knowledge-dependent ownership. Fail that criteria and the speaker is per definition a failure, in my humble opinion.

headshake

We need to see measurements of this pair before it left the factory. If there is none, then we need to know how far back they were measured and any differences in manufacturing since.

The onus is on the manufacturer for sure. I'd move onto testing the next speaker in your queue - the ball is out of your court. If the manufacturer wants a re-test let them pay for it from a third party or donate to the site for a re-test. They need proof, not you.

I'd bet this speaker was never tested before shipping.

Lools like in early 2019 Seas moved to manufacture less in Taiwan and more at the HQ in Norway. I assume this was for quality control and turn-around. I wonder where the part in this speaker was made?

https://audioxpress.com/news/seas-expands-in-house-production-and-announces-extreme-subwoofer-series

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd bet this speaker was never tested before shipping.
Testing is part of the procedure listed in the build process that you can follow when you order from Salk. So I'm sure the speakers were tested, but I would guess that the testing might be too cursory to reveal the problems that Amir found.

My feeling on this speaker is that I will give it a chance. It will be in a small room and I won't be playing the speakers very loud. I will also have a sub or maybe two so I am willing to stuff the port. It is important to me that the speakers for this room are small and look nice, and they must be passive. So I'm not sure there is a better option. I do have a pair of Overnight Sensations (similar size but my cabinet work doesn't cut it) so I might compare them just for kicks.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Testing is part of the procedure listed in the build process that you can follow when you order from Salk. So I'm sure the speakers were tested, but I would guess that the testing might be too cursory to reveal the problems that Amir found.

My feeling on this speaker is that I will give it a chance. It will be in a small room and I won't be playing the speakers very loud. I will also have a sub or maybe two so I am willing to stuff the port. It is important to me that the speakers for this room are small and look nice, and they must be passive. So I'm not sure there is a better option. I do have a pair of Overnight Sensations (similar size but my cabinet work doesn't cut it) so I might compare them just for kicks.
Why passive if active gives better results for less money? OK, you might already have an amp you want to use, but so what if you get a better result and can then sell or repurpose the amp?

This is also a very popular size, including the LS3/5a and descendants. Which others have you considered?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why passive if active gives better results for less money? OK, you might already have an amp you want to use, but so what if you get a better result and can then sell or repurpose the amp?

This is also a very popular size, including the LS3/5a and descendants. Which others have you considered?
The amp is in an adjacent room, where I usually listen. So these are just a 2nd pair of speakers for another whole system. Active is an option I really could consider, along with a little streaming box, but for now that is not how I want to go. Also my house is old with few outlets, so that makes active a challenge. I would probably have to do electrical work on the room to avoid ugly cord clutter.