• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Salk WoW1 Bookshelf Speaker Review

bequietjk

It is visually gorgeous and i don't knoww. If I had a lump sum of cash I would probably buy these just on aesthetics.

Beave

Major Contributor
Perhaps also worth pointing out is that the impedance curve, while pretty benign in the bass through the midrange, has a large phase excursion (65 degrees or so) where the magnitude is also dropping to about 4-5 Ohms.

There's generally less content energy here than in the midbass through midrange, but it could still make this a tough load for some amps, especially given the low sensitivity to boot.

On the other hand, as mentioned, these aren't really meant to be played loud, so it's probably a moot point.

Reactions: KEW

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My condolences to the kind member who sent this in.

@MZKM Feelsbadman
We should create a donor fund to make up the regrets of headless panther product owners. At least sending the product back with a pack of beers for consolation. :D

R Swerdlow

I haven't heard any speaker with the Seas Excel W12 mid-woofer, so I can't comment on it. But I agree with those others who own or have heard other Salk speakers made with that particular tweeter, the Hiquphon OW1, or other speakers with larger Seas Excel woofers, such as the W16 or W18. All that I've heard are, in my opinion, excellent sounding.

I'm surprised to see the Hiquphon's poor measurements, as I own a DIY CAOW1 with the same tweeter, and had owned for nearly 10 years, Salk SongTowers with the OW2 tweeter, a close sibling of the OW1. (Both of those speakers use Seas CA15 5½" coated paper mid-woofers.) Both of those speakers never displayed any tweeter problem that I was aware of.
I've used the Seas W12 and it performs well as a midrange. As a woofer it's very limited (as Amir measured) due to the small size and limited excursion. The response problem in the midrange isn't due to the driver or crossover. It's a cancellation / resonance from the port. The sensitivity rating is obviously wrong as well as the stated -3dB (48hz) which is really closer to 60hz. For a driver of this size 60hz isn't bad but the output capability limits you to nearfield or desktop listening.
I think Rick Craig has it correct. The very small cabinet combined with the W12 mid-woofer, as well as the low sensitivity, certainly make it seem like the WOW1 was meant for nearfield listening.

@amirm – Would a speaker intended for nearfield listening, instead of the more common 8-10 feet listening distance, affect they way you perform or interpret your speaker measurements?

In addition, would a slot port on the front of the WOW1 cabinet, instead of a rear port, affect how you measure or interpret it's performance?

YSC

Major Contributor
Another disappointing kidney costing speaker... seems like really in this age the budget powered speakers are usually a better deal

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally, I am interested in the waterfall graph as an indicator of crispness v. resonances. But it's hard to interpret, especially since the axes keep changing for speaker test to speaker test. Is there any evidence of audibility of these resonances, especially above 200 Hz? Would it be possible to standardize the graph and then come up with a measure of how audible it might be? Obviously, we can hear resonances when they are long and loud beyond a certain threshold. So, maybe some number factoring the area of the curve beyond X mS and less than 30 dB below the signal? No, I don't know how to calculate that!

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Plug the port and retest to confirm the issue.

Dave.

Plug the port and watch the sensitivity go even lower. :)

(Seriously, though, I agree with your suggestion - it would help confirm the apparent cause.)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm – Would a speaker intended for nearfield listening, instead of the more common 8-10 feet listening distance, affect they way you perform or interpret your speaker measurements?
No. I look at all speaker designs equally when it comes to interpreting measurements. The only exception is loudness capability.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In addition, would a slot port on the front of the WOW1 cabinet, instead of a rear port, affect how you measure or interpret it's performance?
The measurement system doesn't care. It has no eyes to see how the speaker is made. :) It simply measures all around, solves a set of equations that predict soundfield beyond, and shows that (it does this twice so it can get rid of reflections as they are directional).

Same with me. I don't care how a speaker is designed. That is up to the designer to figure out. I am interested in sound field it generates that I hear.

That said, when I see issues I try to go backward and see if I can find causes within reason. Here, it seems to have worked by instrumenting the port.

FYI, I made a "mistake" and used a very high resolution scan that took nearly two and half hour. Usually I set that parameter lower for simple designs. So in that regard, this is a very accurate measurement.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can you please measure the other sample. I think this is a case where that is warranted.
I need a good reason to unpack it. These are so beautifully finished that if at all possible, I don't want to disturb the other sample. If someone gives me a good reason why the performance should be different, then I will ask the owner if he is OK with it.

Even if I did unpack it, the full measurement scan will take entire evening and an hour of processing and analysis. To give you guys an estimate of "opportunity cost," the US distributor for Klippel chargers $1,000 for basic measurements.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Plug the port and retest to confirm the issue.

Dave.
As I explained, I am not game for doing a full NFS scan. I have other speakers to test that people are waiting for. The effect is harder to see in in-room measurements but it may be enough. If so, I can do that over.

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As I explained, I am not game for doing a full NFS scan. I have other speakers to test that people are waiting for. The effect is harder to see in in-room measurements but it may be enough. If so, I can do that over.

Just a quick on-axis measurement with the port plugged should show whether that is responsible for the dip, which it seems likely it is. If that is the case then simply plugging the port would make it a much better speaker but also make a subwoofer mandatory.

Gyroscopics

We should create a donor fund to make up the regrets of headless panther product owners. At least sending the product back with a pack of beers for consolation. :D

I myself own many (presumably) headless panther audio components which are way past their return window. Just happens they haven't been tested here at ASR. But I guess those won't qualify for the donor fund. :( To name a few: B&W speakers, NAD and Parasound amps/integrated amps. My DACs and HP-amps are good though, having read ASR reviews prior to my purchase.

Top Bottom