• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Was this aimed at ASR?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeesh. Ok....

this is called the Barnum effect.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnum_effect

if I gave everyone in this thread a personalized personality assessment with positive traits, they'd be likely to believe it was correct. Even if I gave everyone the same one.

With respect: You actually have no idea whether the scenario I described was due to the Barnum effect.

Yet, in a very unscientific-leap-of-inference, you've attributed the sonic descriptions to the barnum effect, with no way of ruling out alternative explanations like: the speakers really DID have the sonic character that produced the similar impressions in both listeners.

That really, already, is the nail in the coffin. You can't go any further in justifying your claim it was the Barnum effect, let alone that that Barnum Effect is responsible for many or most such convergences in people reporting hearing similar sound characteristics.

But just to further indicate how dubious your suggestion is, and how far it can go when one is showing any degree of caution:

As a life-long devotee of the skeptic movements (e.g. Skeptical Inquirer, Skeptic Magazine and plenty of other skeptical inquiries) I'm well aware of the Barnum effect. It's a classic reference in skepticism of astrology, psychic readings, etc.

What I described is not suitably analogous to the Barnum effect. As you are in a forum that prizes scientific rigor, you should remember just how cautious scientists are when making inferences from any particular experiment to what can be explained. Leap outside the constraints of any specific experiment at your peril! The Barnum effect is a very specific effect which has to do with describing human personalities. "meaning general characterisations attributed to an individual are perceived to be true of them, even though the statements are such generalizations, they could apply to almost anyone."

Note in the link you gave, that even in the specific use-cases, there are variables involved in achieving the effect, and a fine line has to be walked. For instance: include too many negative traits in your description and the effect fails, the personality description is rejected as inaccurate.

Now, you are trying to make the leap from a specific research in humans evaluating descriptions of THEMSELVES to claiming the effect explains
the type of descriptions people arrive at concerning speakers, including the one I gave. That's quite a leap. Remember, we aren't talking about, say, a priming effect where a huckster tells you what you should expect to hear before you listen. My examples is listening first, forming an impression, and then later identifying other people's descriptions as being similar to your own.

But before we take on your Barnum explanation, we already have another plausible explanation: The speakers have an audible sonic character that produced the impression I had when I auditioned them, and which also explains why they reviewer reported hearing that same character.

We know many speakers deviate audibly from one another due to different designs - audible differences in dispersion, frequency response, driver integration, room interaction, distortion, audible resonances etc. So if someone says "I heard two quite different speaker designs today and they sounded different" that is not just plausible....that is likely! And with some practice, one can start to identify and describe the changes in sound.

If you took a neutral speaker and an EQ, and created an exaggerated "smiley" EQ, and switched back and forth between flat and the exaggerated EQ, you think you'd need a blind test to have any justification in reporting or describing the difference? No, you don't, not in any practical sense.
Why not? Because while it's certainly *possible* some level of bias is involved, the fact is different EQ curves like that are well established as being audible. This justifies our not having to blind test every damned time we touch our EQ. Look at Amir's speaker reviews. Often in his listening tests he ends up altering the sound with EQ, evening out some dips or bumps that were bothering him. Then he reports "now, it sounds better." Strictly speaking, it COULD be that because Amir knows he dialed some EQ knobs that it's all an expectation effect and he isn't REALLY perceiving any change in the sound. But as a practical matter, we can accept that, yeah, he's reporting a change in the sound because he's making changes that are in the known audible range, and the effects of the changes are also generally fairly well known.

Speakers in a sense often come with different "EQ settings" - all the different design choices can alter the sound profile. And the sound can be described. So if I say "This speaker sounded bright and steely/irritating in the high frequencies, recessed in the midrange, and bloated in the bass region" and another person who carefully listens, with whom I've had no contact, reports the same thing, we have plausible grounds for having identified the actual sonic profile of this speaker. Could be wrong! Yes! Not perfectly reliable. But the hypothesis has a lot behind it making it plausible.

WHEREAS:

You want to propose the Barnum effect as the alternative explanation.

Do you realize that to take that seriously, as an analog to the Barnum personality test effect, you'd have to be able to produce a speaker description that is sufficiently vague-yet-compelling that anyone would think it applies to ANY speaker they own or have heard?

Remember: the Barnum Effect posits that you can take a room of say 50 or 100 people, give them all the same sufficiently vague personality profile, and the vast majority will say "Yes, that's an accurate description of ME." In other words, the single description will be seen to fit many different people. It does this by being vague, and by playing to known human biases about how people think of themselves.

The analog of this is that you can produce a sonic description of a speaker that will be seen to fit many different speaker designs!

You'd have to produce a description of the sonic character of a speaker where you could take a hundred very different speakers, and yet someone (or a group of people) would rate the description accurate for almost every speaker!

It posits that, for instance, I heard a speaker, formed a distinct impression, but a reviewer's description had no relationship to the actual sound of the speaker, but it was sufficiently vague that I could have heard ANY speaker and his description would have "fit what I heard."

I would like to see you actually demonstrate the plausibility of this claim, such that it becomes as plausible or more plausible than the hypothesis that our impressions came from actually hearing the sonic character of a speaker.

For instance, if you wrote a review of a pair of speakers I own, say the Thiel 2.7s, and you described them as "bright/steely upper frequencies, recessed midrange, bloated bass" there's no way in hell I'd read that as fitting my own impression of how those speakers sound in my home. They sound if anything precisely the opposite in every respect. Those sonic characters I described are not vague at all; they are damning deficits.

If you really think The Barnum Effect is the more likely explanation in play here, then you should be able to produce a Barnum-like sonic description of a loudspeaker's sonic characteristics such that I would agree it could fit ANY speaker I own or have owned. (For that matter, every ASR member should read it and say "Yeah, that describes just how my speakers sound...in fact, almost every speaker I've owned!).

And note also: in order for it to actually be analogous to the type of sonic description I gave, and which are often found in subjective reviews, your description can't just be something like "It produced sound! There, see how that can fit the sonics of any speaker?" You actually have to, like a subjective reviewer, get in to some detail - bass quality, mids, highs, imaging, etc, and produce a description that will be accepted as describing practically any speaker someone has heard.

Ready to try creating this Barnum Effect covers-all-speakers description?

Go!...

:)

win

That was a lot of hand waving. You went full word salad on the analogy used, and missed the point.

You read prosy reviews, and felt validated that your sharp ear matches a professional reviewer's. So you were willing to simply take the affirmation.

qed

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm I would like to ask you a question regarding the Windows Audio Stack. Over Head-Fi there is a guy who's claiming the Windows resampler has "rising distortion" at 20 kHz and I told him I would ask you personally so he can learn something coming from the person who was in charge of this software. Is this even true?
I don't know actually. I bypass it for all my music consumption. But do plan on testing it at some point.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
This seems to be a common allergic reaction to ASR :) Chris at AudiophileStyle implemented a "feature" that automatically breaks any links that point to ASR content as they get posted on that forum. Ostensibly to protect the innocent, defenseless audiophiles.
You sh***ing me. He really did that? :facepalm:

Spectacular insecurity about what they are doing then.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Reading through the comments there, I am struck by this paragraph from Jim Austin:

View attachment 74085

The first part is incredible to me as a person with a PhD. How often does Jim Austin tolerate let alone take a back seat to a layman over his knowledge of science? I trust never.

On the second part, the confusion is astounding. Music is art. It has nothing to do with the gear itself. So of course it has emotional connection and that is different for every person. We are not discussing music reviews. We are discussing audio gear. Audio gear has no art in it. It has no emotion embedded in it. It doesn't have soul. It has no memory. It doesn't care about anyone or any thing. It is just there as an object.

If audio gear were art, then we would hire artists to design them rather than engineers.

Remarkable that someone has to point out that making music is not same as reproducing it.

As to the final statement of whether science is on our side or not, I again as him often he accepts that doubt in his line of business.

I have had this discussion with several audiophiles previously. They talk about emotional connection as if it is a property of the hardware. This couldnt be more wrong. The emotional part of music is entirely down to the listener. The individual, their mood or any other of a plethora of influences.

Have you noticed how some days your hifi sounds fantastic and you cant get enough, then other days it leaves you cold and you just turn it off? The hifi hasnt changed so its clearly my mood or whatever affecting my experience.

I can get excited by music if its played on a cheap transistor radio, it doesnt have to be on an expensive hifi.

Am I going to be more appreciative after a glass of wine? Quite probably.

His words above are just an excuse to say anything goes and anything is good so long as someone somewhere likes it. If that is the case then again what is the purpose of Stereophile? It therefore doesnt matter what you buy, its all good :facepalm:. Doesnt that then reveal the real purpose? That it is just an advertising platform?

Again, precisely what is he referring to when he talks about "non classical" design or "other approaches"? The lack of specifics betrays he is referring to the random whims of any particular designer or listener. Thats supposed to be some kind of basis to judge a product? Really?

Isnt it funny that in other areas of reproduction people are more than happy to accept science, technical standards and measurements to improve their experience. I refer to video (TV/projectors). A properly measured and calibrated TV always looks better. It conforms to standards and reproduces accurately, and what was was seen in production. So what is it in the audiophile mentality that feels the need to fight against it?

Audio reproduction is science. Period. Not just technical science or engineering, but also psychoacoustics etc. Emotions however are your own.

Last edited:

LDKTA

Reading through the comments there, I am struck by this paragraph from Jim Austin:

View attachment 74085

The first part is incredible to me as a person with a PhD. How often does Jim Austin tolerate let alone take a back seat to a layman over his knowledge of science? I trust never.

On the second part, the confusion is astounding. Music is art. It has nothing to do with the gear itself. So of course it has emotional connection and that is different for every person. We are not discussing music reviews. We are discussing audio gear. Audio gear has no art in it. It has no emotion embedded in it. It doesn't have soul. It has no memory. It doesn't care about anyone or any thing. It is just there as an object.

If audio gear were art, then we would hire artists to design them rather than engineers.

Remarkable that someone has to point out that making music is not same as reproducing it.

As to the final statement of whether science is on our side or not, I again as him often he accepts that doubt in his line of business.

This is actually a very common "audiophile" talking point. Jim Austin, like other "philes" have an internal struggle with the idea that science could not possibly explain any of their experience's with audio and to rely on it would be a fool's errand. These guys literally seek out equipment that they're able form emotional connections... To then attribute these emotional connections to anything and everything but the actual music they'd be listening to. This logic never works so they'll instead turn to the "music first" or "it's all about the music" mantra as if this'll do them any better. The same guys who listen to cabling, fuses, preamplifiers, etc. The same guys who will circularly argue with you that they listen to better music than you do. It is tiresome and futile game for these guys that they feel they must win... The problem is, it isn't a game and objectivity matters. It will always matter. Austin's rhetoric is one of many highly predictable attempts to denounce evidence based findings and actively disinform subscribers in hopes that the Stereophile publication remains relevant. It is very disingenuous and an insult to science to say the very least. I could only imagine what the consumer audio atmosphere would look like if these so called "reviewers" were actually held accountable for their actions. The audio companies that allow this BS to stand and proliferate are no better.

Check this out... All in the same article from Jim Austin. So interesting...

From this:
"One of my biggest surprises since I became the editor of Stereophile—and so started focusing more on all things audiophile—is how often I find myself thinking about the ethics of this hobby. This is unusual for me: I dislike moralism and prefer aesthetics to ethics." - Jim Austin

To this:
"What I want from owning my audio system—what I think most audiophiles want—isn't pride, precisely. I want to feel unambiguously good about the whole experience. I want to feel that glow inside when I think about the music that awaits me at the end of a long day. That requires making good choices—choices consistent with not just my musical values but also my ethical values."- Jim Austin

Source: https://www.stereophile.com/content/ending-thats-also-beginning

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm going to point to one of those factors that pushes me to countering what Jim Austin says in "Petard".

I just got out of a 60 year long relation with LPs. No more discs, no more turntables, no more cartridges, styli. No more overhang or vertical tracking angle adjustments. No more suspended subchassis to go out of adjustment. No more clicks, pops, inner grove distortion. All gone, along with the 2000 LPs I had in 2017.

Having read the likes of Stereophile and Absolute Sound all those years, it never occurred to me that the distortion I heard was real, that it was in every LP I have ever heard and that there was no way to fix it. The groove will always be moving slower at the end of a side. The sound will always get worse towards the end of the side, sounding as if the disc has run out of energy. Which it does. I suspect that back when LPs were the best we had, we did what we could to tune out that distortion. Some of the LP playing gear was distorting enough that you would never hear the IGD anyway. And there's plenty of incredible musical experiences that people have had via such obviously sub-par gear. But the clearer the audio from the groove, the more readily apparent the IGD. I had reached the point, the opportunity, to divest myself of all this irritation.

What Jim Austin is trying to say is measurements don't really matter. In a publication that still venerates vinyl disc reproduction as the ne plus ultra of the "High-End", or of 'realism", or at least the most convincing simulacrum of 'realism', a publication where the desire is that "anything goes", you don't want measurements to matter.

It's really interesting that the next article at the Stereophile website is a review of a horn loaded, high efficiency, floor standing speaker from a very small manufacturer that gets a glowing subjective review, but a terrible technical review.

Down is Up.

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
I'm really not sure how to respond to Jim Austin's unusually long and confusing response. I would like to note that when I mentioned ASR I had two reasons that had little to do with promoting the site and a lot to do with the topic discussed. The first citation was to point out to Mr. Austin that all these people were talking about "Petard" at ASR, with a link to this discussion, now up to 250 posts. The other was to point out Amirm's history and qualifications for the job he does at this site. Having had my posts delayed didn't strike me as strange, I've had delays before on account of excessive editing of posts after initially posting. So I was surprised to find out it was held up because of the link to this site. Very strange, and very, very defensive.

Having an account at Stereophile only involves signing up for one, one doesn't need a subscription. I haven't had a subscription for over twenty years.

So more or less?..

fakelol.jpg

Tks

Major Contributor
This is actually a very common "audiophile" talking point. Jim Austin, like other "philes" have an internal struggle with the idea that science could not possibly explain any of their experience's with audio and to rely on it would be a fool's errand. These guys literally seek out equipment that they're able form emotional connections... To then attribute these emotional connections to anything and everything but the actual music they'd be listening to. This logic never works so they'll instead turn to the "music first" or "it's all about the music" mantra as if this'll do them any better. The same guys who listen to cabling, fuses, preamplifiers, etc. The same guys who will circularly argue with you that they listen to better music than you do. It is tiresome and futile game for these guys that they feel they must win... The problem is, it isn't a game and objectivity matters. It will always matter. Austin's rhetoric is one of many highly predictable attempts to denounce evidence based findings and actively disinform subscribers in hopes that the Stereophile publication remains relevant. It is very disingenuous and an insult to science to say the very least. I could only imagine what the consumer audio atmosphere would look like if these so called "reviewers" were actually held accountable for their actions. The audio companies that allow this BS to stand and proliferate are no better.

Check this out... All in the same article from Jim Austin. So interesting...

From this:
"One of my biggest surprises since I became the editor of Stereophile—and so started focusing more on all things audiophile—is how often I find myself thinking about the ethics of this hobby. This is unusual for me: I dislike moralism and prefer aesthetics to ethics." - Jim Austin

To this:
"What I want from owning my audio system—what I think most audiophiles want—isn't pride, precisely. I want to feel unambiguously good about the whole experience. I want to feel that glow inside when I think about the music that awaits me at the end of a long day. That requires making good choices—choices consistent with not just my musical values but also my ethical values."- Jim Austin

Source: https://www.stereophile.com/content/ending-thats-also-beginning

tenor.gif

I find that first statement profound in so many ways. It's like "Hmm what's going on, it almost feels like I'm doing something not in line with the idea I've had about myself".

But worse than that, he talks about ethics of "the hobby". Which is a hilarious sleight of hand attempt only a politician would pull, or an uncareful person. Becoming an editor of Stereophile isn't a "hobby", that's a job. Unless of course you feel you're ethically violating something by enjoying music (the actual hobby). Since I doubt that's it, it almost certainly was you mispeaking about "the hobby" and were actually referencing "the job", to which I would agree, I would also feel at odds with myself doing what he does.

I'd have so much more respect for these people if they simply said: If you want to hear what our subjective experiences were from years of listening to many devices, read this. If you want to see how things measure performance-wise objectively, try ASR, they're into that sort of evaluation. But of course not, they'll feign ignorance about what goes on here(comments like "yeah I heard of the place, don't really know what much goes on or anything though"). Strawman the position of users here (only after failed barks up a tree trying to defame Amir in the most infantile ways possible). And just red-herring you to submission with these off topic monologues half the time.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was also stunned by this statement from Jim Austin:

1595139408848.png

The day they fail these words will come back to haunt him. Or else, would be cause to let him go.

Let's hope that he is looking at the bottom line, the competition, and where the world is going. Sitting there laying out subjective review of a few pieces of gear a month in print form may not last him long.

How do you fine tune what you are doing as a business without a metric? We are not a "business" yet I watch how we are doing on constant basis. And make strategies to improve. Adding speaker testing is an example. Getting into home theater products is one more.

He must think the world is the same as it was 10 years ago. The odds against that are huge....

Tks

Major Contributor
I'm going to point to one of those factors that pushes me to countering what Jim Austin says in "Petard".

I just got out of a 60 year long relation with LPs. No more discs, no more turntables, no more cartridges, styli. No more overhang or vertical tracking angle adjustments. No more suspended subchassis to go out of adjustment. No more clicks, pops, inner grove distortion. All gone, along with the 2000 LPs I had in 2017.

Having read the likes of Stereophile and Absolute Sound all those years, it never occurred to me that the distortion I heard was real, that it was in every LP I have ever heard and that there was no way to fix it. The groove will always be moving slower at the end of a side. The sound will always get worse towards the end of the side, sounding as if the disc has run out of energy. Which it does. I suspect that back when LPs were the best we had, we did what we could to tune out that distortion. Some of the LP playing gear was distorting enough that you would never hear the IGD anyway. And there's plenty of incredible musical experiences that people have had via such obviously sub-par gear. But the clearer the audio from the groove, the more readily apparent the IGD. I had reached the point, the opportunity, to divest myself of all this irritation.

What Jim Austin is trying to say is measurements don't really matter. In a publication that still venerates vinyl disc reproduction as the ne plus ultra of the "High-End", or of 'realism", or at least the most convincing simulacrum of 'realism', a publication where the desire is that "anything goes", you don't want measurements to matter.

It's really interesting that the next article at the Stereophile website is a review of a horn loaded, high efficiency floor standing speaker from a very small manufacturer that gets a glowing subjective review, but a terrible technical review.

Down is Up.

I never had the pleasure(or displeasure?) of even using vinyl. One thing I wish we retained was all the artistry material (the booklets and details about the music). You sometimes get that from hi-res sites where you get a PDF (sadly half the time it's some low-res nonsense anyway). Also liked how vinyl (due to "space" constraints) demanded careful leveling, to where loudness war bullshit was basically impossible for normal releases (saw videos recently how you would need deeper and/or wider groves if you wanted to have heavy and loud bass from a vinyl for example, and that's what prevented the sort of nonsense we have now with tracks being mastered to try to out-compete external noise from a car window rolled down, or a radio station basically requiring to have your music louder than others..

Those things need to come back in some form (or at least printable versions of album material and manuals or whatever). I always find it fascinating, the human condition to where in the past where everything took longer, cost more resources, etc... was do-able. But now that we have the tech perfected, easier to employ, and far less resources or processing power required... we just don't do it. Irks me to no end, but I know the basic principle of "opportunity cost" that gives rise to this awful phenomena.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The groove will always be moving slower at the end of a side. The sound will always get worse towards the end of the side, sounding as if the disc has run out of energy. Which it does.

Why audiophiles (particularly classical audiophiles) didn't push for starting at the inner groove and ending at the outer (locked) groove is strange. Considering pretty much most pieces end with the large crescendos, why not put it on the outer grooves and banish IGD for the loud bits.

like this:
https://elusivedisc.com/ravel-bolero-180g-lp-plays-backwards/

1595140234491.png

Tks

Major Contributor
Why audiophiles (particularly classical audiophiles) didn't push for starting at the inner groove and ending at the outer (locked) groove is strange. Considering pretty much most pieces end with the large crescendos, why not put it on the outer grooves and banish IGD for the loud bits.

like this:
https://elusivedisc.com/ravel-bolero-180g-lp-plays-backwards/

Is this a rhetorical question? (Since I know jack all about vinyl, I'd assume this would be best?). Any downsides to this sort of thing?

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"This speaker has a resonant cabinet!" exclaims another, about a speaker with a cabinet that's tuned to vibrate in a particular way. "
this is really beyond me but it seems like the good and bad resonances need to be distinguised in reviews.. :)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
audiophiles building an emotional connection with a common object:

1f20ee3b8baded8ca654fed52ca9bbe6.png
A few years ago, I watched a youtube video where a guy drops off his mcdonalds trash in a museum like that. It was funny to see all the people walking by taking pictures and discussing the trash afterwards. "Oh wow! I totally get it". "I get what he was going for, it's a metaphor for what our society has become". "Genius!" :D Art is like hifi in some ways. Lots of BS. Same with wine. I love all 3, but it's true.

Blujackaal

It never get's old how easy it is to fool audiophiles. Many $1000+ headphones share drivers with there mid tier version, The only differince is tuning effort which goes to the flagship. I've had some go mad when the ER3SE/ER2SE with bass boosted by +5db sounds the same as multi BA/Hybrids with same bass level, Since it kills the claim IEM drivers need 12.5mm(4 ba woofers) to do bass since etymotic use 5mm drivers.

Which many IEM reviewers still use despite being told otherwise.

Reactions: Tks

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...the Volti Audio Razz Speaker post, one where there was a very clear divide between the enthusiastic subjective review and measurements that appeared quite poor... The responses to that post included 13 posts from the manufacturer, defending his product.
Actually I think it is beneficial to have the designer/manufacturer respond to questions. It allows a consumer to better understand the thinking behind the product, and that allows a consumer to better base a purchasing decision. That happens at ASR frequently. For my part and as an example I am happy to read John Siau's comments and explanations here.

From going through the designer's comments he states up front that he could have made his loudspeaker 'flatter' but then the tonal balance would have been 'off' from his perspective. I personally have no problems with that rationale. He builds what he likes. The Harman model (as I understand it) is designed to build what 'most' people like subsequent to a blind test. It's the difference between boutique and mass market.

That said, the following, from the review, is almost incoherent:

Roberts prefers tube amplification, especially EL-34 tubes. He believes that his speakers work well with any amplifier, but a few solid-state models get his nod of approval; any amp by Nelson Pass will do.

How can anyone go from 'the best is an EL-34. but anything from Nelson Pass gets a pass', then state 'any' amp will 'work well' but then state that 'few' SS amps mate with the speaker? What a mealy mouthed mumbo jumbo. Of course this is not the designer writing, but the reviewer, so who knows what was actually said or meant? In any case, one can certainly make a better purchasing decision, one way or the other, from reading this stuff.

Top Bottom