• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Was this aimed at ASR?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You know what? I think it's all a religion. The Subjectivist religion, the Objectivist religion, it's all just a belief system.
Basically, people want a reason to evangelize other people. If they're successful, it gives them self-confirmation. And audio is one of many, many opportunities to do that.
The reproduction of sound doesn't really matter at all. It's just an excuse ... a platform, if you will .... to use in the attack on others who don't believe the same religion.
I once had a pastor who liked to say of religions, "How many of you know they can't all be right?"

His point applies here too.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
I've never understood asymmetrical driver arrangements where a pair are not mirror images.

This looks like two lefts (or two rights), not a "pair".

There seems to be many examples of this design idea, so, not picking on ADS.

View attachment 75175

ADS L710

Compare the ADS L1230s pictured in this active Craigslist ad (Boston area)... looks like the L710 grew up and recomposed itself through speaker tectonics.

ADS L1230 and L780II Speakers - electronics - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)
1625855541512.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Compare the ADS L1230s pictured in this active Craigslist ad (Boston area)... looks like the L710 grew up and recomposed itself through speaker tectonics.

At least the pair qualifies as bilaterally symmetrical.

1625871615863.png

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Victor Martell

Yep. More evidence. 10 to 15 years ago, subjectivists like Austin largely ignored objectivism. Now they have to confront it (take swipes at it).

Times are a changing.

I know I am replying to a 7 month old post, BUT I am happy that it does agree something I have posted when asking whether the audio press is really and truly journalistic or just an industry advocacy concern - but that is another discussion, however related.

In the past, the only way to give feedback to the audio press was the "readers letters" section; the audio press way of dealing with the disbelievers of the subjective approach communicating to the magazines to call them out was to cherry pick a letter that could be replied to dismissively, of course, without having to deal or giving the contributor a chance of a true discussion.

Then the world wide web and social media came. Now they cannot avoid the discussion. Not even in the forums they control, much less in forums like this, which probably has a bigger readership than any of the magazines. One thing was dismissing the late great Peter Aczel's "The Audio Critic", which was a labor of love driven by one man or dealing with the great Arnie Kruger in that semi-secret corner of the internet known as Usenet. A very different thing is dealing with the mass medium of first the world wide web, and then social media pouring derision on them.

v

Katji

Major Contributor
[...] in that semi-secret corner of the internet known as Usenet. A very different thing is dealing with the mass medium of first the world wide web, and then social media pouring derision on them.
Yes, first 5 years or so that i used internet, it was just usenet and email. Mostly dialup modem to an account on a server at varsity. www existed then - before 1995 - but the original purpose was for academic document sharing and linking.

Top Bottom