• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Horns - Necessary to complete the Audiophile Journey?

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you mean long term listening may train you to hear differences which you then would be able to more easily identify in a DBT A/B test, maybe?
If you mean that you can identify differences under long term conditions you'll still never identify doing instantaneous A/B, Baloney

What evidence do you have for such an absolute statement?

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
Imo that is excellent behavior for a coaxial and distortion data is not needed for confirmation,
it is indeed excellent, and seams to have passed by many rather quietly.

To part with the cash, and choose it over an alternative, I would personally want more evidence of at least 3rd order distortion levels between 700hz and 7khz.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What evidence do you have for such an absolute statement?
It doesn't fall to me to produce any evidence, I didn't make the claim of hearing audible differences.
That responsibility falls to the claimant and is what I asked him for, supportable evidence.
If you want to read about unsupported claims, Stereophile and TAS will provide plenty ;)

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
It doesn't fall to me to produce any evidence, I didn't make the claim of hearing audible differences.
That responsibility falls to the claimant and is what I asked him for, supportable evidence.
If you want to read about unsupported claims, Stereophile and TAS will provide plenty ;)

Nope.

You made the the (as yet) unsupported statement.

'you will never be able to identify differences in a ABx test.'
identify differences under long term conditions you'll still never identify doing instantaneous A/B, Baloney

If you said ' there is little or no evidence you will be able to identify differences' or 'there is insufficient data to draw clear conclusions' I would be Inclined to agree you would be correct.

But you didn't. You used an absolute.

You made a statement.

So you are now also incorrect that the burden of proof does not rest on you.

So rightly, I ask again:
'What evidence do you have for such an absolute statement?'

If stereophile are hiring, unless you substantiate you claims, you may fit the required criteria.

;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If you mean that you can identify differences under long term conditions you'll still never identify doing instantaneous A/B, Baloney
Just an illusion you'll never be able to produce evidence for.
You seem he-lbent on misreading the intent of my statement, I believe it's pretty clear what I was saying but I'll fix it for you.
"If you mean that you can identify differences under long term conditions, but you'd still never identify them doing instantaneous A/B, Baloney"
IE, if long term listening will train you to then later repeatedly identify the differences in a bias controlled DBT, great. Present the evidence.
If you still fail the blind test it was just a sighted bias induced illusion.

Now if you agree with that, fine
If not, go argue with someone else.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@watchnerd

Have you decided yet? Why don't you get a JBL EON615 and send it to @amirm for testing. Guitar Center has a 180 day return policy and even though this is NOT a high-end speaker, it will give you a taste of horns.

1594763149251.png

tuga

Major Contributor
@watchnerd

Have you decided yet? Why don't you get a JBL EON615 and send it to @amirm for testing. Guitar Center has a 180 day return policy and even though this is NOT a high-end speaker, it will give you a taste of horns.

View attachment 73343

Come on, just because a speaker produces pretty off-axis curves doesn't mean it's any decent, let alone good...

If that was Harman's gift to the audio world then it was a major step in the wrong direction.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Come on, just because a speaker produces pretty off-axis curves doesn't mean it's any decent, let alone good...

If that was Harman's gift to the audio world then it was a major step in the wrong direction.

It’s a bit tongue in cheek. :). If you see my originally reply, in the price range the OP is in, the JBL Everest DD55000 and 4367 are both good speakers to consider depending on planned usage.

tuga

Major Contributor
It’s a bit tongue in cheek. :). If you see my originally reply, in the price range the OP is in, the JBL Everest DD55000 and 4367 are both good speakers to consider depending on planned usage.

Sorry, I missed that...
The OP cannot accomodate large speakers and those two speakers you've mentioned are only really half-horns (large woofer crossed in the mid-midrange into a compression driver).

tuga

Major Contributor
You seem he-lbent on misreading the intent of my statement, I believe it's pretty clear what I was saying but I'll fix it for you.
"If you mean that you can identify differences under long term conditions, but you'd still never identify them doing instantaneous A/B, Baloney"
IE, if long term listening will train you to then later repeatedly identify the differences in a bias controlled DBT, great. Present the evidence.
If you still fail the blind test it was just a sighted bias induced illusion.

Now if you agree with that, fine
If not, go argue with someone else.

So when you write that you're "amazed at the improvement in inner detail and mid to low bass" of your new speakers, did you do the instantaneous A/BX Baloney or is it just a sighted bias induced illusion?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
did you do the instantaneous A/BX Baloney or is it just a sighted bias induced illusion?
It's different for me, I have Golden Ears and unimpeachable powers of deduction when it comes to making judgement calls on sound quality.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I actually have PA speakers that I use for gigs and for tailgate parties.

They go in my music practice room, next to my bass amp.
I don't -- well, not as such, but the drivers in mine were all common in commercial sound use (albeit not really recently).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I actually have PA speakers that I use for gigs and for tailgate parties.

They go in my music practice room, next to my bass amp.
Do PA speakers have some sort of design feature or whatnot, to separate them from home speakers?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Journey is its own petard.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Do PA speakers have some sort of design feature or whatnot, to separate them from home speakers?

Yeah, many.

First of all, my guitar amp, which is not even a reproducer...it's an 'instrument' with tone and timbre unto itself.

For the actual PA speakers I have (Electro Voice):

• They trade frequency response for loudness -- they go down to 55 Hz, but have 127 dB max output with a 15" speaker
  • They're designed to be used in multiples via a mixing board to balance out a whole room. Up close, they often don't sound very good. Bad driver integration at close range.
  • Audiophile criteria like imaging and depth aren't really part of the design criteria, which can result in pre-recorded music sounding a little odd or flat, more 'canned'
  • Super lame sounding at low volumes
  • Big, burly, durable, and butt ugly

Last edited:
Top Bottom