• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you buy this year, not need to upgrade anymore. All is the newest version. Don't use unofficial upgrade firmware.

The firmware can only be upgraded once, so it is not recommended for users who have not encountered problems to upgrade.

And the USB version upgrade succeeded will not appear on the machine, only change on the computer.so No need to doubt yourself.
View attachment 63333

If you have upgraded and found a problem, please contact the seller and return it for repair.
Sorry which XMOS USB Driver Version to download and install then...v2.01 or the v1.08...especially on the new V2/2020 models? You say it's upgradable once. Where to get the XMOS USB version and which version to install on PC? Do we need to use DFU tool to upgrade anymore? Am confused...plz explain...

Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

None. At least all new units have 2.01 firmware by default.
So where do we install the XMOS USB Driver....2.01 is the USB Driver Version not the DAC HW/SW version...which I believe nowadays is 1.3/1.6 and it's being quoted as V2

Last edited:

MalinYamato

Why would it be no good? It's variable and not fixed. But should be fine to connect SP200 to, no problem.
some in the thread mention about leakage of line outs of the M500 and got me worried. May a expect a boost in sound quality by adding a SP200 to it?

MalinYamato

I use both together. I have no problems and the sound is very good.
Great, how do u stack them up? M500 on top of the SP200? Any pics of your stuff?
Should I get a SP200 or a Hersey for my little red M500?. For me in Europa the price
difference is just about sixty dolls. I really wish I could get a A90 but I dont have money for it. I love advice for a better audio life :)

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
some in the thread mention about leakage of line outs of the M500 and got me worried. May a expect a boost in sound quality by adding a SP200 to it?

Leakage means you may hear what you are playing through your headphones leaking into power amps/ powered speakers . Its a non issue when you use a separate headphone amp as :

1. You will be using the outputs not headphone mode-
2. If you use the M500 heapdhone amp, your external HPA might receive minimal signal as leakage, but its a headphone amp, not connected to loudspeakers.

MalinYamato

Leakage means you may hear what you are playing through your headphones leaking into power amps/ powered speakers . Its a non issue when you use a separate headphone amp as :

1. You will be using the outputs not headphone mode-
2. If you use the M500 heapdhone amp, your external HPA might receive minimal signal as leakage, but its a headphone amp, not connected to loudspeakers.
oh yea, that makes sense. Thanks !

RangerXML

Hi, I just purchased an SMSL M500, and its the V2, firmware says its 2.01 (SW 1.6, HW 1.3). I set the out put to 0 from the -15db, but I noticed every time I turn the unit off it resets to 44.1 and when I restart my computer the volume switches on my computer from 100% to 2%. Anyway to solve this issue?

I'm using it as the DAC to my SMSL SP200 via XLR and run the RCA to a Shiit Sys and then to my JBL LSR305, I run the output at 40.

Another interesting thing, when I run Foobar 2k, through ASIO, after I stop it bumps to 96 :-/

EDIT, I don't know what is going on, but now its working just fine.

Last edited:

kevloke

I just bought M500 with (SW 1.7, HW 1.3) version.

Attachments

• DA0D680F-1F7F-4633-AFE7-28FF3B48953D.jpeg
    DA0D680F-1F7F-4633-AFE7-28FF3B48953D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 313

k525

I just bought M500 with (SW 1.7, HW 1.3) version.
Hi kevloke

Take in account that when in this forum they speak about software version they often mean the software version you can get from the ASIO driver setup app in Windows 10

Regards

osasglo

Anyone know what this exactly does? And if there are any consequences of attenuating this way?
Output.PNG

RangerXML

Anyone know what this exactly does? And if there are any consequences of attenuating this way?View attachment 71728

So by default the volume is actually knocked back by -16, if your using it as a DAC, it helps to just set it to 0 so the sound is the same as a normal just DAC. I got this to replace my Grace SDAC Balanced and it was way to quiet to use as a DAC until I changed that setting (AND THIS IS SEPARATE FROM THE VOLUME KNOB, SET THAT TO 40).

osasglo

So by default the volume is actually knocked back by -16, if your using it as a DAC, it helps to just set it to 0 so the sound is the same as a normal just DAC. I got this to replace my Grace SDAC Balanced and it was way to quiet to use as a DAC until I changed that setting (AND THIS IS SEPARATE FROM THE VOLUME KNOB, SET THAT TO 40).
Okey, so does it affect the xlr output voltage when one attenuates this way or does it affect the signal some other way to make it sound not as loud?

Shoaibexpert

Any ideas what sort of PSU this thing has? Linear inside by any chance? Coz you can't attach a linear to it I guess...

Also, is the M500 synchronous or asynchronous to the optical signal? I mean does it correct jitter issues in optical signals? Thanks

odyo

This is only dac in my eyes and it's overpriced as hell.

RangerXML

This is only dac in my eyes and it's overpriced as hell.

I think most people buy it because its one of the only full MQA decoders and for that its actually not overpriced. I defiantly feel that its over priced compared to say my Grace SDAC Balanced and I am actually considering getting rid of it. One thing I do love about it is that it has a great selection of inputs, USB, 2x Opt and a Coax, where say my SDAC-B only has 2 (UBS and Opt/Coax), but therefore is USB powered.

EDIT: I beg of you, don't start an argument over the usefulness of MQA, please, its a feature that some people desire and some people don't. It does sound good, but I personally feel its not worth the money.

odyo

I think most people buy it because its one of the only full MQA decoders and for that its actually not overpriced. I defiantly feel that its over priced compared to say my Grace SDAC Balanced and I am actually considering getting rid of it. One thing I do love about it is that it has a great selection of inputs, USB, 2x Opt and a Coax, where say my SDAC-B only has 2 (UBS and Opt/Coax), but therefore is USB powered.

EDIT: I beg of you, don't start an argument over the usefulness of MQA, please, its a feature that some people desire and some people don't. It does sound good, but I personally feel its not worth the money.
There are some cheap good mqa dacs. This is still overpriced. They should just keep it's dac and mqa ditch the rest and sell it for $199.

Edit: I'm not against MQA btw. I use Tidal Master so it's better to have mqa than not.

Shoaibexpert

Any ideas what sort of PSU this thing has? Linear inside by any chance? Coz you can't attach a linear to it I guess...

Also, is the M500 synchronous or asynchronous to the optical signal? I mean does it correct jitter issues in optical signals? Thanks
Any idea about this post I made? Thanks

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
There are some cheap good mqa dacs. This is still overpriced. They should just keep it's dac and mqa ditch the rest and sell it for $199.

Edit: I'm not against MQA btw. I use Tidal Master so it's better to have mqa than not.
You're not gonna get a ES9038 Pro DAC with MQA for $199, not of this quality at least. Maybe some bare board off Ebay without MQA.

Shoaibexpert

I feel M500 is a bargain. I got mine for a great price from Aoshida HiFi after negotiating from their customer service and $199 + the 100+ or so dollars I paid for say the extra amp (I never use) and the MQA feature seemed totally worth it! With the V2 the measurements are on par with DX7PRO and D90 and it's like less than half the price...not sure if anyone else has called the M500 a rip off?!

Top Bottom