• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

MalinYamato

I have a bit odd plan: pair A90 with M500 instead of D90 MQA.
Anyway, AudioDeals offer price is quite high compared to IMSL Germany and hifi-express.com (UK warehouse) sells it for $400. Do I better buy from those Amazon stores? Nowhere may I find info about whether those listed items are at V2 so I fired a question to Mandy and SMSL Germany about it.

Last edited:

XeNoNF50

I have a bit odd plan: pair A90 with M500 instead of D90 MQA.
Anyway, AudioDeals offer price is quite high compared to IMSL Germany and hifi-express.com (UK warehouse) sells it for $400. Do I better buy from those Amazon stores? Nowhere may I find info about whether those listed items are at V2 so I fired a question to Mandy and SMSL Germany about it.
I myself am trying to decide between the two and also the m400. Would prefer M500 on cost and also because it has an ESS chip rather than an AKM. My DACs so far have all been ESS, I'm familiar with them and like them. But do not want an old revision. I would guess hifi express would be selling new revisions only. Might send off an email or something.

Dexter_prog

has anyone experienced occasional "stutters" on playback? For instance, Im playing tracks on foobar on ASIO and the track would pause for like half a second and resume, most like a CD skipping. I had buffer in foobar and the DACs pc software at 1024 samples, but now raised it to 2048 samples

Last edited:

NorthGraves

has anyone experienced occasional "stutters" on playback? For instance, Im playing tracks on foobar on ASIO and the track would pause for like half a second and resumed, most like a CD skipping. I had buffer in foobar and the DACs pc software a 1024 samples, but now raised it to 2048 samples
Nope nothing like that.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    12 KB · Views: 240
  • 2.png
    2.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 258
  • 3.png
    3.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 243

o7_brother

Question: I know 34/40 volume sets the XLR outputs to 4Vrms. Does anyone know what number I should set it to in order to get 2Vrms?

I'm using the XLR outputs but I want to use them at 2Vrms like RCA.

Thanks!

osasglo

Question: I know 34/40 volume sets the XLR outputs to 4Vrms. Does anyone know what number I should set it to in order to get 2Vrms?

I'm using the XLR outputs but I want to use them at 2Vrms like RCA.

Thanks!
I used an interpolator and figured 28.5 vol will yield exactly 2.0V but we can't get 28.5 so around 29 vol would be a little greater than 2.1V

Attachments

• 2V.PNG
    2V.PNG
    182.2 KB · Views: 243

osasglo

Would setting the volume output greater or less than 34 (4.3V) result in a significant change in the measurements/performance? If I leave it at 40 (6.8V), would it introduce distortion or anything like that?

half_dog

MalinYamato

Getting and Unboxing of M500 red.
After making sure with Mandy that her M500s indeed are on version 2, I ordered a red one at hifi-express.com UK . The order was placed 7 June 2020 (Sunday) and it arrived 12 June 2020, thus it took 5 business days and 6 actual days for it to arrive to the pickup station in Sweden where I live. According to the tracking information the product was stored at Amazon SAL in Denmark not in the UK as I expected. The package included both a cord for the UK and the Europa. My first impression when I unboxed the red unit is how really small and well built it is. The color is perfect -- very beautiful. The screen shows SW version 1.6 and HW version 1.3.
d500.jpg

At first I was very concerned about hifi-express.com and reluctant ordering from it because of the impression of a site that needs lot more work to make it more secure, reliable and trustworthy. Despite this, I give hifi-express.com my warmest recommendation. Everything worked perfectly.
20200613_173809.jpg

My AH-D7200 and Sundara gave the little red riding hood a warm welcome hug. My Oppo will still be used but only when I am on the go. Ill be back with a small impression review later..

Last edited:

newguy358

Interested in the M500, just have a couple questions for owners before I make the jump.

• Is the line-out volume fixed or can it be adjusted via volume knob? Can the user choose fixed or controlled volume?
  • Can the headphone-out and line-out be used at the same time? Can they be used separately?
  • If the headphone-out and line-out can be used at the same time, does the volume control affect both or are they independent?

Toku

Major Contributor
This is a question for V2 (HW1.3 SW1.6).

Did the sound leakage to the RCA and XLR outputs improve in the headphone mode, which was a problem with V1 (HW1.2 SW1.5)?
I would like to purchase an additional M500 if this issue is resolved.

MalinYamato

This is a question for V2 (HW1.3 SW1.6).

Did the sound leakage to the RCA and XLR outputs improve in the headphone mode, which was a problem with V1 (HW1.2 SW1.5)?
I would like to purchase an additional M500 if this issue is resolved.
I haven't tried line outs yet. What is leaking? Do you mean while listening to phones sound leaks out to line outs?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interested in the M500, just have a couple questions for owners before I make the jump.

• Is the line-out volume fixed or can it be adjusted via volume knob? Can the user choose fixed or controlled volume?
  • Can the headphone-out and line-out be used at the same time? Can they be used separately?
  • If the headphone-out and line-out can be used at the same time, does the volume control affect both or are they independent?

1. Varied by the knob- 40 stages- dont believe you can set to fixed
2. No- separate - you have to select the output as either HP or rear outputs in the menus/ remote (both RCA and XLR output simultaneously btw
3. See above- they remember the last setting you had them at though- so HP set to 20 will stay there regardless if you switch to rear outputs and set them to 40.

Toku

Major Contributor
I haven't tried line outs yet. What is leaking? Do you mean while listening to phones sound leaks out to line outs?
Yes, that's right.
It is a symptom that the sound of RCA and XLR output leaks in the headphone mode. The leaked volume is proportional to the volume level of the headphones. You will hear it with a slightly distorted sound.
If you listen in headphone mode with the power amplifier connected, you may be worried about leakage.

MalinYamato

Yes, that's right.
It is a symptom that the sound of RCA and XLR output leaks in the headphone mode. The leaked volume is proportional to the volume level of the headphones. You will hear it with a slightly distorted sound.
If you listen in headphone mode with the power amplifier connected, you may be worried about leakage.
I wasn't aware of such problem, but will find out when I get hold of an amp in a couple of weeks.

newguy358

1. Varied by the knob- 40 stages- dont believe you can set to fixed
2. No- separate - you have to select the output as either HP or rear outputs in the menus/ remote (both RCA and XLR output simultaneously btw
3. See above- they remember the last setting you had them at though- so HP set to 20 will stay there regardless if you switch to rear outputs and set them to 40.

Much appreciated, thank you!

ZgSTar

Hey guys. I recently switched to Ahb2 on a new pair of b&w 702s2 and the pops and clicks now are really more evident. Especially when Roon changes from pcm to dsd and vice versa. I've spent an hour here on the forum searching for a solution but at this point I am afraid I have to ask instead. Did anyone manage to fix this issue without returning the unit? If yes, how? I am running fw 1.08. Thanks a million

MalinYamato

The 618 discount festival is on in China right now. I am tired of waiting for Schiit Magni 3 Hersey to become available so I may grab a SP200 to pair it with M500 instead now that it costs 266 incl shipping during the sale. Is this a good match or are the line outs of M500 NG as I read in previous posts?

Veri

Master Contributor
The 618 discount festival is on in China right now. I am tired of waiting for Schiit Magni 3 Hersey to become available so I may grab a SP200 to pair it with M500 instead now that it costs 266 incl shipping during the sale. Is this a good match or are the line outs of M500 NG as I read in previous posts?
Why would it be no good? It's variable and not fixed. But should be fine to connect SP200 to, no problem.

Top Bottom