• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC SCM19 Bookshelf Speaker Review

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What if many someones "prefer no bass and high distortion including mechanical sounds from bottoming out"?
What if? Sorry, that’s speculation. What if a lot of people prefer their steak burnt and sweet salad dressing? Should Michelin reviewers change their ratings? Ridiculous.

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
What if? Sorry, that’s speculation. What if a lot of people prefer their steak burnt and sweat salad dressing? Should Michelin reviewers change their ratings? Ridiculous.

Which speakers sell the most? Those could be the preferred ones.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you explain that? It’s a huge amount of power to be absorbed across a wide spectrum.

http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=42

ATC forgot (or more disappointingly, did not know about it) to calculate the loss in SPL from the sound transitioning from concentrated frontward radiation seen with higher frequencies to "wrapping" around the baffle at lower frequencies. See the linked Salk article that explains it.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok. If so, it would be better to have optional weights related to the JND scale + on voice register and its main fundamentals.
I just implement the formula.

I agree better weighting can be applied. The data is provided for anyone who wants to experiment :)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The English should stick to cooking ;)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=42

ATC forgot (or more disappointingly, did not know about it) to calculate the loss in SPL from the sound transitioning from concentrated frontward radiation seen with higher frequencies to "wrapping" around the baffle at lower frequencies. See the linked Salk article that explains it.
Maybe they felt that an 82dB sensitivity speaker wouldn’t sell as much.

tuga

Major Contributor
Having spent my career in marketing, I can assure you sales volume has little relationship to quality in nearly any category of good or service.

Who spoke about quality, I thought we were discussing preference...

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who spoke about quality, I thought we were discussing preference...
My point stands (now edited for clarity). People buy things they don’t/would not prefer for many reasons. Let’s start with price, promotion, fashion, convenience, ignorance (in a factual sense) ad infinitum.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe they felt that an 82dB sensitivity speaker wouldn’t sell as much.

That's possible, but low sensitivity already regarded as part of the deal with these sealed broadcast monitor types... so why not just lean in on it.

wwenze

Major Contributor
The thing that surprises me most is the apparent lack of power handling, since they're supposed to be designed for high power and low distortion.

I have heard things like "Look at the size of that magnet"

Well looks can be deceiving.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have heard things like "Look at the size of that magnet"

Well looks can be deceiving.

I don't know what people are expecting from a woofer about the size of a bagel. This is a toy.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't believe people think this clunky lump:

1593875572850.png

is more sophisticated than these:

1593875606682.png

1593875734558.png

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What, in domestic audio shops to compare with the stuff usually pushed? Nowhere round here (very) sadly...
Neumann and Genelec are usually found in serious Music shops, together with mixing desks, Neumann microphones and serious pianos.
You don't have one around ?
Note you may still purchase from DV247 and the likes, and return if you're not happy (although I don't know how this works for such expensive stuffs, and that's not very fair if you're not convinced you'd buy it)

(I see the DV247 store is <80 miles away from Suffolk Coastal district, by the way)

Last edited:

Theriverlethe

I don't know what people are expecting from a woofer about the size of a bagel. This is a toy.

I'd imagine people expect a little more from $4000 speakers with a five-star rating from "What Hi-fi?" The woofer is actually the best part.

Last edited:

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to Amir for elucidating another of the myriad ways to waste money in this hobby.

Perhaps the ATC and PMC fanboys who criticize properly engineered loudspeakers (M2s, Kii Threes, 8Cs) as toys will go home now. And yes, I know Amir hasn't measured everything ATC and PMC make, but the deficiencies here are so severe and so unnecessary as to cast doubt on those companies' engineering capabilities.

Top Bottom