• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC SCM19 Bookshelf Speaker Review

mjwin

Narrow housing, 2-way, no visible wave guide - most of those show the expected flaws in the spinorama, some (like this) errors in the BSC. Time to move to 3-ways ...
These remind me of a lot of typical British "bookshelf" speakers of the 1980s. Back then "bookshelf" meant just that: you put them on your bookshelves, with books either side, and the baffle-step was compensated for. So I really am surprised to see the section which Amir highlighted in the manual stating that placement should be well away from walls. Do the manufacturers really not understand what they're doing? The speakers might actually sound quite ok on a shelf, close to the wall, not $4k good, though. The trip across the pond never benefits a product's value-for-money, but in this case it's almost a joke! $4k. Wow!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Christ two national apologies in a week , seems these British speaker companies are doing all they can to take the ' Great ' out of Great Britain.

I'm going into hiding until this all blows over.
Wait until A tests Linn!
Although I suppose they are technically Scottish.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
5.png
I like these, can you play Tetris on them.

Putter

Forum Donor
That looks very different to the one Amir tested. Is this V2? Another very favourable review here, and I thought HFC was one of the more reliable mags. https://www.hifichoice.com/content/atc-scm19-£1996

I have a couple of tests for a reliable review.

First, did they make any attempt to measure the speakers frequency response? I know that's at best a partial test, but it's the single most important item. If it doesn't have a reasonably flat response, it may sound great on some recordings, but not on most others. Along with this, was any attempt made to relate flaws in that response to changes in how the recordings or pink noise should sound.

Second, do they start using audiophile speak. From the review

massive image scale in height and depth alongside smokin’ keyboards, conga et al that build an irresistible groove.

This ATC has superb bass, it goes low but is tight and fully textured

inky black recording

In general, it's about how much they enjoyed listening to their favorite recordings. It's not about how they compare with other speakers in that price range.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 71864
Measured by Harman and found in Toole's book. Commercial version of the LS3/5A.

Here's the Rogers pro version of the LS5/8 someone else mentioned.
View attachment 71889
So a maximally flat on-axis, with a kind of ragged off-axis.
Stereophile also has measurements. This shows why the BBC dip misconception came to be, the speakers peaks ~4kHz off-axis, so neutral on-axis sounded bright. The dip was because it wasn’t well engineered, not that it’s preferred to have a dip.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Christ two national apologies in a week , seems these British speaker companies are doing all they can to take the ' Great ' out of Great Britain.

I'm going into hiding until this all blows over.
Wharfedales are pretty good, so own a pair of Jade 5’s, here’s the directivity of the Jade 7 as measured by Stereophile:
1593884300585.jpeg

There is bulging in the upper treble, but the on-axis has a dip to compensate.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This [the LS3/5A] is THE monitor standard that forms the foundation of the 'classic' BBC sound
INCORRECT. The LS3/5A was never anything more than a minor player in the pantheon of BBC speakers. Its role was mainly office listening (for which purpose hundreds were installed – in this respect it is, possibly, the most numerous of all BBC speaker types). The closest it ever got to being a programme monitor was on small-scale speech-only radio outside broadcasts or possibly as the secondary or tertiary speaker in bigger studios. It was also installed as primary monitor in some radio editing suites but it was never a major player where serious quality judgements were made.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Linn and Naim 'parted company' back in 1985 - do keep up :D

ATC know full well what they're doing and measure every speaker they make, or at least used to. These old 19's were designed that way for a reason!!! You lot may laugh because they don't look as good as Harman designed models, but with the SL driver introduction, the 50's too developed a slightly elevated upper mid balance (can't speak for the big ones in the noughties as I wasn't dealing with ATC at this time). My 20ASL pro's definitely had a similar response shape (as measured in an article on SoS I think it was) and mainly concerning the NS10 which has a seriously nasty peak above 1khz (but which worked very well on a bookshelf).

To suggest these are small 'toy' speakers is a reflection of the room size the person making the comment is used to. I suspect his favoured speakers wouldn't work in a smaller room.

Not sure if Billy Woodman designed these as he did the previous 10 and 20 models and he certainly doesn't appear to have had much input on the very latest models as I believe he's basically retired from day to day business (although he's always 'there' in the background I was told).

Here's the article I was trying to find, an 'appreciation of the NS10 plus response plots of the usual suspects of twenty years or so ago INCLUDING the original SCM 20 ASL Pro model I once owned (I doubt it was the older tower actives that were tested). The active 20ASL Pro had a bass lift adjustment which helped a bit, but by then the Vifa tweeter was showing its age in added grittiness on my pair and it was uneconomic to replace with the intermediate tweeter as it would have involved new baffles. I made good money on the sale, but these days really miss the tactile quality a decent monitor has.

https://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net/assetlibrary/n/ns10m.pdf

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Someone please send Amir a "classic" Naim Nait.

Martin Colloms measured it in a HiFi Choice book at the time. Not bad but more of a curio with a soft clipped 20WPC with the wind behind it and severaly rolled off bass on the vinyl input (or peaked up lower hf, however you see the plot). Current issue smaller Naims do seem to be 20db or so better in terms of distortion on the Stereophile measurements I've seen but these days it's not saying much.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Linn Kans are the deep-fried Mars bars of loudspeakers.

As an ignorant American, I had to do a search on deep-fried Mars bars. I had no idea this was a thing. I've always enjoyed Scotland, and some of my favorite colleagues over the years have been Scots, but now that I'm educated I have to say that Scotland just moved down a notch or two on my intelligence scale. A deep-fried Mars bar just might be the unhealthiest food ever conceived.

Only kidding. A little...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
That would be deep fried pizza.
Keith

Top Bottom