• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[No Politics] What you need to know about CoVID-19 by SARS-CoV-2 [No Politics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My regimen:

Rely on genes that seem to be tuned for 95 years or so based on ancestors.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem I think comes when people do their thing to lose weight or be healthy, and then they just generalize to "here's how to eat/keep healthy!" Then you get people telling you DO THIS IF YOU WANT TO BE HEALTHY (or lose weight or whatever)! Within reason, it's an individual thing.
If you adhere to all eating rules at once you'll die within 4 weeks by famine.:(

I like this saying: people who eat only health food don't live longer, it just seems to be like this to them.:p

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Animals don't drink milk when they are weaned because they don't own dairy farms and can't barter for milk either.

Wombat

Master Contributor
If humans follow the post weaning diet of calves(grass) all will be OK then, unless infected with anthrax.?
Thinking.gif

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Animals don't drink milk when they are weaned.

I think I saw a cat drink some milk once.

And another time, one was eating flesh.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dunno if that was a joke? Or just a dump of Bro Science?

I think you are on the wrong website ;-)
Neither borrower nor lender be. To thine own self be true. Never throw a ball in the house. You could put someone’s eye out!

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a bit surprised at the lack of commentary and analysis here about a possible second wave in the US, which might be spawned by the crowds of protesters, looters, and rioters currently roaming the streets of many large cities. And neither have I heard one word from the main media about the risk of gathering in these crowds.

I have. And there was another today in the New York Times (and not its first).

(I'm no longer surprised at how often when I see someone saying online 'I have not heard one word about [something that ticks them off]' , it turns out I actually have read one or more words about that something, from the rather mainstream news and analysis sources I read.)

Anyway, the *crowds* are overwhelmingly peaceful protesters. The 'looters and rioters' are a fraction. Just want to make that clear (from a NYC perspective)

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today in the NEJM, the latest study indicating that the hype around HCQ is not deserved (and really, it's like 'OMG veils were lifted' difference claims in audiophile land, when DBT'd: if it were that big a real deal, don't you think some really strong positive results would have come out by now? )

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32492293

tl;dr:
Conclusions: After high-risk or moderate-risk exposure to Covid-19, hydroxychloroquine did not prevent illness compatible with Covid-19 or confirmed infection when used as postexposure prophylaxis within 4 days after exposure.

(Anyone still pinning their hopes on Dr. Raoult has to ignore his rather stunning god complex. I fear he's gone 'emeritus' -- a term Jack Vance fans will recognize)

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Speculation is starting to be overtaken by experience and hindsight. That is a good thing.

maty

Major Contributor

A Randomized Trial of Hydroxychloroquine as Postexposure Prophylaxis for Covid-19
https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638

[ Conclusions

After high-risk or moderate-risk exposure to Covid-19, hydroxychloroquine did not prevent illness compatible with Covid-19 or confirmed infection when used as postexposure prophylaxis within 4 days after exposure. (Funded by David Baszucki and Jan Ellison Baszucki and others; ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT04308668. opens in new tab.) ]

Willem

Major Contributor
Restrictions continue to be relaxed in the Netherlands because the disease is disappearing in most regions. We had a large antiracism demonstration in Amsterdam the other day and nevertheless that has everyone worried from far right (who do not seem to care much about racism) to far left and everyone in between. The organizers admitted they made a mistake. A subsequent demonstration in Rotterdam was much better organized but still had to be disbanded by the authorities because too many people had turned up. The one in my own town could go ahead without issues. There is real concern here about racism, in the US but at times also here.
In the meantime people are beginning to think about holidays. The prime minister (who rides his bike to work every morning) suggested we all go on holiday on our bicycles. My wife and I certainly will but we are not yet sure where. France beckons, but so does the Baltic coast. We are hesitant about trains. Our usual thing is to ride somewhere (like my original plan to ride from home to the Med in May) and then take a train back. Maybe we will drive to somewhere south of Paris and do a round tour from there. Transportation will be one of the bottlenecks in the new normal, with public transport and planes as relatively high risk situations.

Last edited:

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This Forum is all about objective data versus emotions.

The first graph shows the overall deaths/week for Germany from the official German authorities. It still needs correction for 2020, but those are minor, and the authorities decided to publish this data now by week, whereas otherwise it is published a year or more later.
(Plot created with data from: https://www.destatis.de/DE/Themen/Gesellschaft-Umwelt/Bevoelkerung/Sterbefaelle-Lebenserwartung/Tabellen/sonderauswertung-sterbefaelle.html?nn=209016).
1591264637816.png

Such data is available for Europe too by the agency Euromomo (https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps/). This data is from Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany (Berlin&Hesse only!), Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK.
Germany is therefore represented only with a fraction of cases.
Euromomo´s death graph is shown below (it is taken directly from their website; no raw data is available). Using the data from above, I eyeballed the additional cases missing from Germany and added those with the blue dots.
1591264624469.png

Another piece of data comes from the Worldbank. (https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.CDRT.IN?end=2018&locations=AT-SE-NL-PT&start=1960)
It tabulates crude death rates for many countries since 1960 (I believe it excludes combat-related results). I have plotted that data below.

That data is complex. It includes all sources of death. I believe that it reflects the transition of industrial countries away from mining and heavy industry and health impacts from WW2 and includes ageing of the population too. It nevertheless shows the magnitude of the ordinary death rate and its range by year and Country.
1591264660942.png

And finally, there is the well-known data from the Johns Hopkins Resource Centre (https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19/blob/master/csse_covid_19_data/csse_covid_19_time_series/time_series_covid19_confirmed_global.csv), plotted as reported Covid19 death versus the inverse oft the population density:
1591264710209.png

Attachments

• 1591264598782.png
    1591264598782.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 1591264685008.png
    1591264685008.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 56

Willem

Major Contributor
The most recent estimate from the Dutch blood transfusion service indicates that a few weeks ago about 5.5% of the population had antobodies to Covid19. Herd immunity seems unattainable unless a vaccine takes another decade or so. However, I have not seen the regional breakdown which would be interesting given the very uneven spread of the disease. However, in the previous sample the percentage in the hardest hit regions was some 2-3 times higher than the national average.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't mind I'm going to tell you how to stay in very good health.

- don't drink cow milk and all products made with milk even a trace of milk. I don't. Animals don't drink milk when they are weaned.
- don't eat wheat. I don't.
- don't eat sugar but unrefined sugar from Brazil (called rapadura). Should be used in pastries and coffee.
- don't smoke. Yerkkk !
- walk 3km/day... I do.
- don't absorb antibiotics... I don't. They disturb your body. I can understand you will chose to absorb them... The word antibiotic comes from the greek "anti" that means "against" and the word "bio" that means "life" . So antibiotic means : against life. You can't fight viruses with antibiotics.
- you're taking one aspirin each day to stay in good health... are you serious ? Stop before it is too late...
- you're taking sleeping tablets ? Twenty years ago at least, I've spent 11 nights without sleeping and without taking sleeping tablets. The twelfth day and the following days I slept all night long. (but the twelfth day in the morning I've had a car accident because I was not awaken enough... hopefully nobody was injured...) Then, the more you'll take sleeping tablets the most difficult it will be finding a normal sleep. Could take months....
- stay away from vaccines - I do - but I can understand you won't do it... I've not got an injection or absorbed a product from Big Pharma since 1989.
- drink 1 liter of water/day if you can. I try to do it every day.
- drink espressos no more than 3/day. 100% Arabica Coffee from Brazil is one of the best. I drink 2/day.
- drink red wine or organic red wine (wines from California are VERY good but not like ours.................................................I'm teasing !)

I've probably forgotten something... I could add two lines today or tomorrow or...
My experience is very different.
I am 70 with a metabolic age of 58 according to a Tanita device.
I have drunk cow's milk and eaten cheese all my life.
I eat bread - often with the cheese!
I have never smoked since ever since a child I hated the smell.
I walk more than 3 km/day.
I take antibiotics if prescribed by my doctor for bacterial infection. It is anti the life of bacteria, not people :facepalm: It is well known not to be suitable for treating viruses so it is very bad practice for doctors to let their patients have it just to keep them happy, it just increases the risk of resistant bacteria. I also condemn the dosing of animals raised for meat with antibiotics, it was banned here decades ago but in some countries where factory farming is common it is still legal.
I would take aspirin as a blood thinner if my doctor advised it. I would rather not since I have been a platelet (blood component) donor for many years and I would have to stop.
Never needed a sleeping tablet.
Vaccines are a life saver and anti-vaxxers are dangerous conspiracy theorists who create a health crisis in contagious diseases, they are idiots IMO.
I drink 2.5 litres of tea per day :)
I like the smell of coffee but not the taste.
I drink red wine from all over the World. My favourite is Chateau Margeaux but I can no longer afford to drink it.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My regimen:

Rely on genes that seem to be tuned for 95 years or so based on ancestors.
In my case a bit of a gamble. My Dad's side all died young, I am already the oldest Dernie people in my family know of but my Mum's family are astonishingly long lived. My maternal Grandma lived fro 1898 to 1999, almost made it into her 3rd century.

Her nephew got together a family tree for her 100th birthday which I have a copy of.
The best bit, in terms of amazement, is my great grandfather, a Lincolnshire farmer, born in 1826, He had 11 children with 2 wives. my Grandma was the second child of the second wife born when he was 72. He had 4 more children, the last when he was 82! When his last son was born his eldest daughter was 56.
I hope I have his genes...

onofno

If you adhere to all eating rules at once you'll die within 4 weeks by famine.:(

I like this saying: people who eat only health food don't live longer, it just seems to be like this to them.:p

I adhere to all eating rules I've written - since 1989 - and I'm in good health... really.
I didn't write to eat health food cause health food is just another business ! I just wrote to leave for good some food.
As soon as you stop wheat you start losing your belly, plus wheat is no good for your joints.
Milk is overheated to kill all germs so it becomes dead food. Then vitamins are added. With milk you get weight, as you age the bones can break,
you could get a prostate cancer and for women an ovarian cancer. This is real.
In France in all hospitals there are there are signs that say: "drink milk it's good for your health..." Not true.

When I'm invited somewhere or when I'm in a restaurant I don't care about the rules....
One evening in a restaurant I started talking about tobacco with a doctor working in an hospital ... (I used to smoke 20 cigarettes / day)
I said to him: I have known several people who have smoked their whole life and some have died at 88. He replied: if they had not smoked they would have died at 100 or more because smoking erases many years of your life.

Now, do what you think is best for you.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/89/5/1638S/4596954

Last edited:

onofno

I think I saw a cat drink some milk once.

And another time, one was eating flesh.

If you give milk to a cat he will drink it. If nobody gives him milk he will spend his whole life without drinking milk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom