• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 & M200 new dacs!

Fimbul

HI,
Has anyone already received SMSL M400 from Hifi-express?
Hi, new here, but don't mind that. I have received my M400 today. I've ordered to Germany via HifiExpress during the pre-order discount and received it via Amazon prio. As Mandy promissed me, there was no additional customs tax.

Originally I was after the Topping D90 MQA, but the M400 was released right when I was ready to order and since it has the same chip and I prefer its optics, I opted for the latter. I hope it will test at least as good as the D90 - the suspense is unbearable. :eek:

Unfortunately I had to send in my Emotiva A-100 for repairs last week and I do not have any capable spare lying around. :(
I can however talk about the build a little bit: The top plate is actually very glossy - almost like a mirror - and will be pain to keep dust free. It looks beautiful, though! o_O
What didn't make a good impression is the control knob. It's made from flimsy plastic and is wiggly to the touch. It has a nice metallic rim around its circumference and I'm planning to use it in exclusive DAC mode, so it doesn't bother me much.

I'm dieing from not being able to test it properly, hence I'm chiming in here to distract myself. If you have questions about the build or menu, go ahead.

THIBAULT

Hi, new here, but don't mind that. I have received my M400 today. I've ordered to Germany via HifiExpress during the pre-order discount and received it via Amazon prio. As Mandy promissed me, there was no additional customs tax.

Originally I was after the Topping D90 MQA, but the M400 was released right when I was ready to order and since it has the same chip and I prefer its optics, I opted for the latter. I hope it will test at least as good as the D90 - the suspense is unbearable. :eek:

Unfortunately I had to send in my Emotiva A-100 for repairs last week and I do not have any capable spare lying around. :(
I can however talk about the build a little bit: The top plate is actually very glossy - almost like a mirror - and will be pain to keep dust free. It looks beautiful, though! o_O
What didn't make a good impression is the control knob. It's made from flimsy plastic and is wiggly to the touch. It has a nice metallic rim around its circumference and I'm planning to use it in exclusive DAC mode, so it doesn't bother me much.

I'm dieing from not being able to test it properly, hence I'm chiming in here to distract myself. If you have questions about the build or menu, go ahead.
I'm waiting for your feedback. Thank. Regards

Forsaked

just installed my m200 today, i have some sad news though, the usb is pure garbage, it gives very noticeable background noice... so I switched to optical and its all good, but then it seams like i actually payed $50-100 for something thats fucking useless for high end sound...

or did i get a fault unit? i have sp200 and m200 paired together and the usb from m200 gives static noice. can anyone else test, using usb, just completely silent and put all volume to the max. I get static background noise

Ground Loop?
I will receive my M200 tomorrow, then i can crosscheck.

THIBAULT

just installed my m200 today, i have some sad news though, the usb is pure garbage, it gives very noticeable background noice... so I switched to optical and its all good, but then it seams like i actually payed $50-100 for something thats fucking useless for high end sound...

or did i get a fault unit? i have sp200 and m200 paired together and the usb from m200 gives static noice. can anyone else test, using usb, just completely silent and put all volume to the max. I get static background noise
Pilote usb downloaded ?

Last edited:

Magnifico

The display of the M400 is really dope. o_O
A definitiv step up from the topping one even though it´s a nice oled one.

However I don´t see me spending 300+ € more than I did just. I ordered a D70 from a dutch dealer who is a bit cheaper than audiophonics.fr

Fimbul

The display of the M400 is really dope. o_O
A definitiv step up from the topping one even though it´s a nice oled one.

However I don´t see me spending 300+ € more than I did just. I ordered a D70 from a dutch dealer who is a bit cheaper than audiophonics.fr
Yeah it's nice, but apart from a blue/black gradient at the top and bottom, which is only visible in the main view, there isn't much application for it. It's not like it shows album covers or something! The little blue detail fits in nicely with my Emotivas blue LED and some other lights around my desc, but it's certainly no reason to shell out more money! Moreover, there doesn't seem to be any way to shut it off entirely, beyond putting it into standby. It's dimmable, but only goes to 50% or so.

Magnifico

huuh....bummer but on the other side...how could it supposed to be showing album art or something....since there is no interface for something like this.

Displays on those devices are there to give desired information and if you´re lucky you get a bit of userfriendlyness to set the brightness in desireable spectrum und maybe even auto off after some time of inactivity which would be very much dependant of someones taste.
Some different colors could be useful....I don´t want very much from a display but definetly more than what the display of the m200 brings.

Fimbul

huuh....bummer but on the other side...how could it supposed to be showing album art or something....since there is no interface for something like this.

Displays on those devices are there to give desired information and if you´re lucky you get a bit of userfriendlyness to set the brightness in desireable spectrum und maybe even auto off after some time of inactivity which would be very much dependant of someones taste.
Some different colors could be useful....I don´t want very much from a display but definetly more than what the display of the m200 brings.
Actually, you could send info like metadata via USB, but you'd have to tailor a driver for that, which would kinda defeat the plug'n'play feature of a DAC. Just saying there is no need to have a color screen on a DAC, if you're not using it. A nice colorfull spectrum analyzer would indeed be snazzy, but there's nothing like that here.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning

It must be the entrance USB which is defective, that's the xmos u8, I have already on another DAC, usually it's very reliable, especially on Windows on Linux. it's connected with Windows?

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just had a notification, should arrive there next week. I bought it through Amazon ca and it is shipped by DHL.

Sal Gambino

Are the d-90 and the m400 made on the same assembly line? Looks like different companies were created to release minor upgrades instead creating outdated models??

youkeum

I received the m400 yesterday. it’s awsome! I don’t have a chance to listen topping d90, so does anyone listen both d90(mqa) and m400? could you compare it?

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
LOL
Do you know that the "French virus" is covid-19 and where it originated from, right? :D

Sorry, I don't know. Please do not carry any discriminatory language.

Firstly, Because the French government has adopted some blockades.

Secondly. Due to the recent taxation of e-commerce by the French government and the product can't send from French warehouses to other countries, some express delivery delays to French have been caused. Hope to understand.

We are now shipping products to the French warehouse, which will speed up later

If it is the UK, it will arrive in about 2 days. Send from UK.

Last edited:

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Hi, ordered on May 6 receiving on June 2, due to "French,virus" (hifi-express) :)

Sorry about that.

Firstly, Because the French government has adopted some blockades.

Secondly. Due to the recent taxation of e-commerce by the French government and the product can't send from French warehouses to other countries, some express delivery delays to French have been caused. Hope to understand.

We are now shipping products to the French warehouse, which will speed up later

If it is the UK, it will arrive in about 2 days. Send from UK.

Top Bottom