• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[No Politics] What you need to know about CoVID-19 by SARS-CoV-2 [No Politics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxicut

You've described what I've been doing. I've shopped for groceries once every two weeks for myself and my elderly father. Seen a couple relatives and one pair of friends about once per week. Otherwise I stay at home or outdoors close to no one.
And that is exactly what I've been saying...

Wombat

Master Contributor
The poputation density of Sydney is not much less than that of New York's, so that point is mute. It isn't spreading out of control in the US? How big is the rock you live under? This site is your typical boys club & obviously I'm not a member. I'm VERY surprised with Wombats attitude? You enjoy your under control pandemic, while I'll enjoy my freedom. You can also enjoy your 300 deaths per million, compared to our 4. Good luck, you're gonna need it.

Enlighten me on my attitude. I was providing information on the N95 mask. No personal opinion given.

FWIW I have been following our State's(Victoria, Australia)lockdown rules to the letter and more. Two weekly shopping now the hoarders have stopped stripping store shelves, no social contacts, sanitiser(I make it so I know what is in it)/soap handwashing, home cooking, etc.

My attitude is that I don't wish to die from Covid 19.

I keep this in mind at all times:

91991277_2585721695030770_2329404564144390144_n.png

For 'attitude' you should read post #2139, above.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
About masks and efficiency:

Quantitative Method for Comparative Assessment of Particle Filtration Efficiency of Fabric Masks 1
as Alternatives to Standard Surgical Masks for PPE

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.17.20069567v4

-> [PDF] https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.17.20069567v4.full.pdf

mask-with nylon-layer.png

masks-efficiency-table.png

In other words, it is essential that the mask fits well on the face, not allowing the exchange of air at the edges, which is the usual problem for surgical, home masks and others if they are put on as is, without crossing the rubber bands and ...

How to improve [video] the effectiveness of a surgical mask by putting it this way:

mascara-quirurgica-bien-colocada-mayor-efectividad.png

And of course, with the nose protected!

Last edited:

Maxicut

Enlighten me on my attitude. I was providing information on the N95 mask. No personal opinion given.

FWIW I have been following our State's(Victoria, Australia)lockdown rules to the letter and more. Two weekly shopping now the hoarders have stopped stripping store shelves, no social contacts, sanitiser/soap handwashing, etc. My attitude is that I don't wish to die from Covid 19.

For attitude you should read post #2139, above.
The attitude is replying to the attitude, so I don't understand. I'm not just gonna sit here & cop it?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The poputation density of Sydney is not much less than that of New York's

Hard to compare accurately, but here's what's advertised:

Sydney: The built urban area is estimated at 4,196sq km which translates to a density of 1,171 persons per square kilometre

New York: The city's population density of 26,403 people per square mile (10,194/km²), makes it the densest of any American municipality with a population above 100,000. Manhattan's population density is 66,940 people per square mile (25,846/km²), highest of any county in the United States

Using the New York Metrolpolitan area and population - 1,377/sq mile.

So, who knows.

Maxicut

Hard to compare accurately, but here's what's advertised:

Sydney: The built urban area is estimated at 4,196sq km which translates to a density of 1,171 persons per square kilometre

New York: The city's population density of 26,403 people per square mile (10,194/km²), makes it the densest of any American municipality with a population above 100,000. Manhattan's population density is 66,940 people per square mile (25,846/km²), highest of any county in the United States

Using the New York Metrolpolitan area and population - 1,377/sq mile.

So, who knows.
Comparing Sydney 'City' to New York 'City', Sydney's population density is 9, 212 people per square kilometre (23,859 people per square mile), which is pretty much the same...

Whoops sorry, I forgot I have to prove everything I say, here's the official figures https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/research-and-statistics/the-city-at-a-glance

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor
This is such a welcoming place...

Well, then, I will put the emoji reply in long-form. I have no idea as to what you mean in that post(#2144). The emoji saved on typing, or so I thought.

Wombat

Master Contributor
There's always a big difference between reported stats & actual stats, so who knows.

I was hoping that there was someone who could PBIGBEM and give a sensible answer.

Willem

Major Contributor
In the meantime, even though numbers continue to go down in the Netherlands, two centres of infections have emerged, both meat processing plants where some 20% of the workforce have been infected. Working conditions at these plants are deeply troubling, and so are the packed living conditions of the largely East European migrant workforce. Other plants are now being investigated as well. The underlying and as yet unresolved question is whethere this is indeed a function of the meat processing specifically, or of the working and living conditions. If the former, the industry has one kind of problem, and if the latter, there is a rather different problem because the problem would also exist in many supermarket or online distribution centres where many migrant workers also work pretty close together and are living in similarly tight conditions. I know there have been problems in US and German meat processing plants, but I also know of a recent outbreak in a German DPD parcel distribution centre that had to be closed.
There is obviously a moral dimension to all this, but there is also an epidemiological one. It is becoming increasingly obvious that unlike outdoors big concentrations of people indoors are main foci of outbreaks, and such factories and distributions centres are the most glaring examples (together with churches if they are reopened, God forbid).

Maxicut

There was an outbreak in a meat processing plant in Australia too., with mostly Asian workers. It's finally under control, but it took a while.

Wombat

Master Contributor
In the meantime, even though numbers continue to go down in the Netherlands, two centres of infections have emerged, both meat processing plants where some 20% of the workforce have been infected. Working conditions at these plants are deeply troubling, and so are the packed living conditions of the largely East European migrant workforce. Other plants are now being investigated as well. The underlying and as yet unresolved question is whethere this is indeed a function of the meat processing specifically, or of the working and living conditions. If the former, the industry has one kind of problem, and if the latter, there is a rather different problem because the problem would also exist in many supermarket or online distribution centres where many migrant workers also work pretty close together and are living in similarly tight conditions. I know there have been problems in US and German meat processing plants, but I also know of a recent outbreak in a German DPD parcel distribution centre that had to be closed.
There is obviously a moral dimension to all this, but there is also an epidemiological one. It is becoming increasingly obvious that unlike outdoors big concentrations of people indoors are main foci of outbreaks, and such factories and distributions centres are the most glaring examples (together with churches if they are reopened, God forbid).

Meat processing plants are an ongoing problem in my home state(Victoria, Australia).

Wombat

Master Contributor
There was an outbreak in a meat processing plant in Australia too., with mostly Asian workers. It's finally under control, but it took a while.

What relevance does the nationality of the workers have to do with it? Tell me.

Willem

Major Contributor
The question is: is it the meat specifically, or is the working and living conditions? Over here, these East European workers are employed by a subcontractor and not by the plant. The subcontractor houses them in disused schools etc, mostly with some four workers in one room, and busses them in vans or touring cars to the plant. In short, plenty of opportunity for infection, and not just in the work place.
In our case the nationality matters in the sense that these are the most vulnerable and most easily exploited workers. Dutch workers would not accept such conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom