• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 & M200 new dacs!

nickthestain

Received the SMSL M200 today and I am definitely a fan.
Complaints:
- I'd like to be able to control the volume using another remote (such as my Apple TV 4K remote) instead of the included remote. Any way to do this? There must be.
- The fact that the volume is from 40 to 0. I prefer to have as much control as possible. 80 to 0 or ideally 99/100 to 0 would be ideal.

Do you have pops/clicks/noises on the output when changing the source? I'm a little worried about the blue LEDs, I think I might find it a bit annoying, how's your experience with that?

BTW I control my SMSL SU-8 with my Fire TV remote, so I guess you should be able to find another remote.

LDKTA

Do you have pops/clicks/noises on the output when changing the source? I'm a little worried about the blue LEDs, I think I might find it a bit annoying, how's your experience with that?

BTW I control my SMSL SU-8 with my Fire TV remote, so I guess you should be able to find another remote.

Zero pops, clicks or noises. Though due to the use of the ATV4K, the sampling rate doesn't go higher than 48kHz which is ideal for me anyway. The setup was very straightforward and I actually like the blue LEDs but to each their own. To my knowledge, from a quick peek into the manual, you can change the color of the LEDs and lower the brightness if you choose.

How were you able to do that? Maybe I'm missing something. My ATV4K is connected via HDMI ARC and I'd prefer to use only one remote.

Last edited:

poimandres

Hmmm. I have received my m200 as well. I haven’t tried the remote yet. I am not a fan of the blue and didn’t realize that you can change the color of the led. I will have to figure that out.

The m200 does not pop when changing tracks of the same sample rate. There is a very low pop (it is very quiet) sometimes when changing sample rates, from memory it is slightly lower than I remember the topping e30 being.

nickthestain

Zero pops, clicks or noises. Though due to the use of the ATV4K, the sampling rate doesn't go higher than 48kHz which is ideal for me anyway. The setup was very straightforward and I actually like the blue LEDs but to each their own. To my knowledge, from a quick peek into the manual, you can change the color of the LEDs and lower the brightness if you choose.

How were you able to do that? Maybe I'm missing something. My ATV4K is connected via HDMI ARC and I'd prefer to use only one remote.

Can't find that in the manual, would be nice though.

nickthestain

Hmmm. I have received my m200 as well. I haven’t tried the remote yet. I am not a fan of the blue and didn’t realize that you can change the color of the led. I will have to figure that out.

The m200 does not pop when changing tracks of the same sample rate. There is a very low pop (it is very quiet) sometimes when changing sample rates, from memory it is slightly lower than I remember the topping e30 being.

I wonder if it's quieter than the pop of the SU-8. Does it happen also when changing the source?

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Received the SMSL M200 today and I am definitely a fan.
Complaints:
- I'd like to be able to control the volume using another remote (such as my Apple TV 4K remote) instead of the included remote. Any way to do this? There must be.
- The fact that the volume is from 40 to 0. I prefer to have as much control as possible. 80 to 0 or ideally 99/100 to 0 would be ideal.
If you program the controller to send the same signal, it is possible. The challenge of course is to know the signal code and to program it into the remote.

MalinYamato

If the M200 wasn't that ugly I'd get it in a heartbeat.
To get whats inside the boxes of M200 and sp200 is a non brainer, but I am still looking for a DIY case that replaces the no-go cases of those.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
To get whats inside the boxes of M200 and sp200 is a non brainer, but I am still looking for a DIY case that replaces the no-go cases of those.
If it wasn't ugly I would have bought it, because the price is exactly what I'm looking for. Now I'm eyeing the SGD1 just because its not hideous (and the bluetooth is a nice addition).

OP
J

jae

Major Contributor

A bit expensive compared to the components, but maybe one of the ghent audio audio cases used for ncore/icepower amps would do well if you want to stuff both in one enclosure

Lemanss

I'll let you you know by the end of the week,should be here Tue or Wed.
Dear dmac6419
I am very impatient to have your measurements for the SMSL200.
Or then I did not understand well ...
Sincerely
Lemanss

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello,

I ordered an M200, it's supposed to arrive within 2 weeks.

CivilWizard

Hi folks. I’ve been using the m200 for a few weeks now. I can say it has been working very nicely. I have used optical and usb with great success. I have not tried Bluetooth yet. My only suggestions for improvement would be the volume knob (as mentioned) and a better/nicer aluminum remote with additional empty buttons (for programming to HTPC using flirc!). I am still searching for all in one remote control solution that can control DAC volume and also has more buttons for HTPC. The remote does have three ‘sets’ of configurations. The A, B, and C configurations swap through the sets, so you can teach HTPC to perform operations with the additional buttons using Flirc and Autohotkey. (Note default config for DAC control is under the ‘C’ setting on the remote). Very stoked on this! I will add there is no noticeable noise/pops so far. Nothing but stellar clean sound. I do not believe the display color can be changed but it can be dimmed so much so that the blue is really no problem at all. The Fn button on the remote toggles the display between sample rate and volume level so you can choose which to display at all times. New to ASR but I have been reading/studying from all the gurus on here for some time. What an awesome site/resource! Cheers.

LDKTA

Hi folks. I’ve been using the m200 for a few weeks now. I can say it has been working very nicely. I have used optical and usb with great success. I have not tried Bluetooth yet. My only suggestions for improvement would be the volume knob (as mentioned) and a better/nicer aluminum remote with additional empty buttons (for programming to HTPC using flirc!). I am still searching for all in one remote control solution that can control DAC volume and also has more buttons for HTPC. The remote does have three ‘sets’ of configurations. The A, B, and C configurations swap through the sets, so you can teach HTPC to perform operations with the additional buttons using Flirc and Autohotkey. (Note default config for DAC control is under the ‘C’ setting on the remote). Very stoked on this! I will add there is no noticeable noise/pops so far. Nothing but stellar clean sound. I do not believe the display color can be changed but it can be dimmed so much so that the blue is really no problem at all. The Fn button on the remote toggles the display between sample rate and volume level so you can choose which to display at all times. New to ASR but I have been reading/studying from all the gurus on here for some time. What an awesome site/resource! Cheers.

Good to know, I didn't actually try to change the color of the display but that is what I got from glancing through the manual. Makes sense that it can only be dimmed. I like the blue and I actually like the simple and clean aesthetic of the DAC. I've had zero noise from myself and it has been operating flawlessly.

MalinYamato

glad that it works out for you. Are you powering it from the supplied power brick? Did you chose this one because it matches with sp200 and/or because it in some aspects performs better than others? think I am going to get a Schiit Hersey amp when it gets in stock. Then I am going to look for a suitable DAC, perhaps E30, D50s, M200 or M300 or even a M500 because of its MQA stuff -- I may change my mind and get a sp200 or trying to get a Drop 789. Would be happy to get some advice because I am not a techie, just an audiophile on budget.

You're kidding, right? If you're serious, this is the wrong forum for subjective 'sound signature' circle jerking. If you were sarcastic, carry on..
im kinda new in this ... i honestly think they have sound signature after seeing some comparison between some of them .maybe im wrong .. i dont know

Top Bottom