• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
E1DA 9038S has lower output than Topping NX3s or NX4 DSD and its balanced only, no adapter's allowed meaning you need to do complete rewiring not just switch cable.
The 4xx are detachable 3.5mm connectors- same as plenty other 'phones. You can very easily switch cables to an aftermarket one with an XLR/ 4.4mm/2.5mm balanced termination. I have done just that.

yawg

It's not about sensitivity alone those planar can intake couple of Watts not mW. This ain't what "portables" can offer, to a hell not even very much of serious desktop Amp's have such output & only couple can give 5W (@ 32 Ohm's) or more.

No. The new generation planars like the Takstar HF580 don't need more than 30 mW. Read more about it on the HeadFi forum. The HF580 is a steal for less than 200€ on AliExpress.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/takstar-hf-580-planar-headphones.904483/post-15556007

Last edited:
I did some more research and the he4xx require 500mw at 32ohms at the highest volume. I'm not sure what that means personally but I'm sure you guys know.

Sorry to be derailing the thread.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The 4xx are detachable 3.5mm connectors- same as plenty other 'phones. You can very easily switch cables to an aftermarket one with an XLR/ 4.4mm/2.5mm balanced termination. I have done just that.
The author of E1DA 9038S clearly state's that adapter's are not allowed and could/should demige DAC! You can ask him yourself.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The author of E1DA 9038S clearly state's that adapter's are not allowed and could/should demige DAC! You can ask him yourself.
See Veri's reply. But yes. Defintely dont try and use existing 4xx single ended 3.5mm cable with an adapter to 2.5mm on the E1DA (or any other balanced socket). Very Very Bad things may happen.

yawg

See Veri's reply. But yes. Defintely dont try and use existing 4xx single ended 3.5mm cable with an adapter to 2.5mm on the E1DA (or any other balanced socket). Very Very Bad things may happen.
This should be known by now. If you look up the thread you are warned again and again.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This should be known by now. If you look up the thread you are warned again and again.

Yes, but one must not confuse the (re)cabling of headphones from single ended to balanced to adapting a single ended cable. To someone coming in cold to headfi, it may be tempting just to google/ amazon search "3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter" and find an answer without understanding the technology. Definite case of buyer beware.

digititus

Last edited:

digititus

How comes most people agree that some brands like FiiO have a signature sound, a bit warmish in the case of FiiO for example of which I own a few?

It must be found exclusively in the built-in amps then? But many swear it's the DAC when it comes to DACs without extra OPAs.

I'm a noob with small portable DAC/amps but have plenty of experience with desktop DACs where I have found that the line stage makes the "sound", not the DAC chips. OPAs bad, discrete class A better and a good tube buffer (preferably with old or NOS tubes) the best.
Please show me one of these V-Shaped frequency response measurements which show this effect for a DAC or amp and then we will discuss.

madugo

anyone with any problem with the tempotec sonata pro?

mine sometimes will stuck for half a second randomly when playing music using it on laoptop.

Not sure what's the issue..

Zarniwoop

mine sometimes will stuck for half a second randomly when playing music using it on laoptop.

If you read back a bit I had the same issue with the Sonata HD Pro, of half-second dropouts, and a lot of crackles too. I tested on a few other PCs and it was fine. Then mysteriously it started working fine on my laptop. No idea what the problem was. Maybe a Windows update fixed it.

madugo

If you read back a bit I had the same issue with the Sonata HD Pro, of half-second dropouts, and a lot of crackles too. I tested on a few other PCs and it was fine. Then mysteriously it started working fine on my laptop. No idea what the problem was. Maybe a Windows update fixed it.

I have not get a chance to test it much, will test it on phone, ipad and other PC to see if only it's the laptop's problem.

It sure is annoying...

did you use the lighting plug directly? or use the USB convertor?

Zarniwoop

I have not get a chance to test it much, will test it on phone, ipad and other PC to see if only it's the laptop's problem.

It sure is annoying...

did you use the lighting plug directly? or use the USB convertor?

Mine came only with USB lead.

One thing I did that may have sorted my problem was plug in another USB sound card, which seemed to reinstall the Windows default USB audio driver. If you can find a way to uninstall and reinstall that it might work.

Reactions: Vee

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Try installing the drivers. Search a few pages back for the link.

Zarniwoop

Try installing the drivers. Search a few pages back for the link.

The drivers are only for ASIO. The are not used for other types of Windows playback and made no difference to the dropouts for me. Worth trying though.

madugo

they released the HD Pro driver today, but I try to install it but was unable to, error message says usb device is not found..

anyone tried also?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
they released the HD Pro driver today, but I try to install it but was unable to, error message says usb device is not found..

anyone tried also?
It's a device firmware not a driver!
Edit: I hope you now understand error message.

Top Bottom