• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With my experience, with optical its actually fuller are more refined. I use Tidal and enable exclusive mode, its makes things louder, with Tidal exclusive mode usb acutally sounds louder but optical is just richer. I really hear the difference now that I switched to optical even in games, I hear everything now.
I think you're right. I just went back to my Chromecast Audio via optical to my M500 and I see what you're saying with Tidal casting through its native Android app to CCA in HiFi (pretty sure bit perfect)! The sound seems to be clearer and richer...I may just have gotten used to distortion EM interference in my setup via USB. But mind you these observations are very very subjective...Anyways for now, My HD800Ss sound clean! And with 2 optical ins ...one connected by my TV...I get enjoy the best of both worlds with the M500. If someone's media setup for TV and Audio listening is at the same place....2 opticals is a must as I've realized recently...

Last edited:

osasglo

I think you're right. I just went back to my Chromecast Audio via optical to my M500 and I see what you're saying with Tidal casting through its native Android app to CCA in HiFi (pretty sure bit perfect)! The sound seems to be clearer and richer...I may just have gotten used to distortion EM interference in my setup via USB. But mind you these observations are very very subjective...Anyways for now, My HD800Ss sound clean! And with 2 optical ins ...one connected by my TV...I get enjoy the best of both worlds with the M500. If someone's media setup for TV and Audio listening is at the same place....2 opticals is a must as I've realized recently...
Glad someone actually tried it out and understands my point, I think this needs some more investigation

osasglo

Guy who have an M500, what buffer size do you use on the driver software when you run the audio via usb?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Glad someone actually tried it out and understands my point, I think this needs some more investigation

Might be worth a new thread... Would likely get a lot more responses.

dieselmilk

Use UAPP for streaming from an Android device with tidal or qobuz.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sure. If you see the CCA review on ASR, with well implemented protocols CCA is as clean a streamer as any other source without the EM... Maybe that's what gives this easily perceivable clean performance improvement in sound quality (wink wink) over Windows setup.

Last edited:

toshu

Use UAPP for streaming from an Android device with tidal or qobuz.
Is that what you are using?..
I have a Topping DX7S that I run via USB from an android TV box using uapp and it sounds quite nice through my Krell and JMLAB speakers

Tinle142

That doesn't make any sense. Going XLR to RCA drops half the output voltage, uses only one of two signal pins, worst case even shorts 1 pin. Now guess what the wiring inside the DAC does to go single ended from balanced? wired over 1 pin ..... same thing

Some people really think they're re-inventing the wheel :rolleyes: XLR to RCA is rather pointless. RCA to XLR can sometimes have slight benefit in noise in pseudo-balanced configuration.

I am using the M500, and in fact, experiment with good RCA output RCA and XLR output RCA as I showed in the previous article. XLR for RCA is better: the instrument is clearer.

dieselmilk

Is that what you are using?..
I have a Topping DX7S that I run via USB from an android TV box using uapp and it sounds quite nice through my Krell and JMLAB speakers
Yea I have two setups. The main, and most important, is android using UAPP Tidal > M500 > Emotiva USP100 preamp crossover for RCA to amp and XLR to Rythmik sub > McIntosh 2205 > Ascend Acoustics RAAL Towers.

The other is just on windows Tidal exclusive mode to M500

Veri

Master Contributor
I am using the M500, and in fact, experiment with good RCA output RCA and XLR output RCA as I showed in the previous article. XLR for RCA is better: the instrument is clearer.
RCA inputs can't receive XLR. You are listening to half the XLR signal, also known as a single ended signal. RCA..
You are imagining things mate. There's no difference.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

That makes no sense...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Possibly due to that the one strand of the XLR output is not summed like the rca output. So very likely there will be extra THD and IMD perhaps noise using that connection. It is only WORSE than the RCA output not better.

dieselmilk

Humans can convince themselves of literally anything if they try, especially if it doesn't make sense.

awdeeoh

Amir, if the market dynamics are a concern, then the MQA encoder shouldn't downsample the original 192k to 96k in the first place. The fact that the original file was 192k is completely irrelevant because the MQA encoder first converts that 192k PCM file to a 96k PCM file, and then does all its perceptual encoding and "folding" on that 96k PCM file. It is no different than if a human being manually ran the 192k PCM file through a downsampling app to convert it to 96k PCM and then ran that 96k PCM file through an MQA encoder. In that case, there's no way in the world you would ever try to justify MQA lighting up the "192k" light on the decoded playback.

The "192k" MQA file is misleading precisely because the original PCM file was 192k - it creates the false impression that MQA is restoring the original 192k sample-rate data when it is not.

The fact that the market expects/"likes" to have a 192k PCM original still be labeled as 192k when it comes out of an MQA Decoder does not mean that's what MQA should do - in fact, it makes it fraudulent for MQA (or any MQA device) to give the impression that the MQA file retains the original sample rate.

Either the ultrasonics afforded by a 192k sample rate are irrelevant, in which case there's no need for MQA to claim it does 192k; or else those ultrasonics are relevant, in which case it's a problem that MQA throws them out and totally fraudulent for MQA to claim that it retains them. You can't have it both ways.

I can hear a difference between 24/96 and 24/192 even when undecoded on non-mqa dac, so there must be something that's going on we don't know.

I think it is more than just downsampling. We don't really know the full details of the folding process.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the SMSL M500 Balanced DAC and integrated headphone amplifier. It was kindly sent to me by the company although a number of members had offered the same. The M500 costs US $399 on Amazon including free shipping.

The M500 takes on the form of rectangular cube which I kind of like here:

The display font as well as the one in the manual are quite tiny. Fortunately when you change the volume, it switches to larger font in the center which I appreciated.

The volume control feels good if a bit small.

The back panel shows the good stuff as far as inclusion of XLR output:

The figure 8 power cable is not as optimal as an IEC connector but does make for a lighter weight cord.

After about an hour of use the enclosure was barely above room temperature so no issues there. Usage on Windows 10 was plug and play as is thankfully common.

The same generic remote control that ships from Chinese hifi companies comes with this unit. Be sure to press "C" to activate it. The Fn key toggles between line out and headphone out.

I was asked about MQA decoding. I found it work excellently, matching what my Roon player was reporting. By default Roon was allowing it to both decode and render MQA which is the way it should be. I hunted for 192 kHz MQA content and found this on Tidal from one of my favorite signals, James Taylor:
View attachment 37183

The display on M500 showed the correct setting:

View attachment 37184

Translating for others who don't follow MQA, the backwards compatible in the clear format is 48 kHz. The hidden bits allow the DAC to decode this back up to 192 kHz sampling.

As a side note and a nice touch, any time you play something with > 44.1 kHz sample rate, the display shows the "High-Res" logo which in its gold coloring, looks good.

So really, other than tiny fonts on the display, there is not much to complain about and a lot to like on the M500.

DAC Audio Measurements
As usual let's separate out the DAC performance from headphone amplifier and see what we have:
View attachment 37185

I was pleasantly surprised to see a high output of nearly 7 volts at max volume. For fairness to other DACs measured, I cut the output down to 4.3 volt. Our worst case distortion product is below -120 dB, assuring complete transparency as that is well below our threshold of hearing. Same is true of SINAD which sums in the noise with it and still lands in truly inaudible distortion+noise.

No wonder then that the M500 ranks way up in our DAC ratings based on SINAD:
View attachment 37186

RCA performance is almost as good:
View attachment 37189

Dynamic range (measured using AES-17 standard) is superb even with the volume turned down to 4.3 volts:

View attachment 37187

Intermodulation distortion relative to input level was excellent as well:

View attachment 37188

Jitter performance is extremely good:
View attachment 37190

The few bits show up due to very low noise floor.

Linearity was perfection in a graph with either output:
View attachment 37191

You can expect our 32-tone test to also show up well and it did:
View attachment 37192

Here is our usual filter responses:

View attachment 37193

Attenuation was extremely good with some of these, necessitating me lowering the limit in the graph to see the floor! You have a choice of no less than three filters that truncate well by the required 22.05 kHz bandwidth of 44.1 kHz sampled audio.

Finally, THD+N versus frequency shows one clean DAC when it comes to ultrasonic spectrum of noise and distortion:
View attachment 37194

Headphone Amplifier Measurements
Let's change our connection to headphone amplifier (while driving the unit digitally) and see what we have. Let's start with signal to noise ratio:

View attachment 37195

We lose good bit of our performance through the headphone amplifier. The low output of 50 millivolt which aims to measure the noise level for sensitive IEMs is a bit above average:

View attachment 37196

Hopefully that lowers the probability of hissing with those transducers.

Let's get into most important measurements which is noise and distortion relative to power starting with 300 ohm:

View attachment 37197

We have very good noise and distortion relative to our reference, the Topping DX3 Pro. Alas, we fall short of its output power though, stopping at 63 milliwatts. I like to see 100 milliwatts or more to make it more future proof in case you use higher impedance headphones.

Here is the same for 33 ohm:
View attachment 37198

Now we match the Topping so we are in better shape, especially given the low noise and distortion.

Headphone Listening Tests
I started my testing with Drop's Ether CX Mr. Speakers headphones. Here, I had plenty of volume but could stand playing at max volume. It was loud to be sure but I like to see more headroom than I had. That aside, performance was very good and clean to max volume as the measurements above show (i.e. lack of clipping).

I had a bit less headroom with Sennheiser HD-650 with less ability for "skull resonance" than I like to see. :) Fidelity otherwise was excellent though. To wit, I am still listening to the M500 using the HD-650 as I type this. Typically a good sign that I like what I am hearing.

Conclusions
SMSL packs just about every desired feature into a DAC and headphone amplifier including MQA decoding with great measured and subjective performance. The only weakness is that its amplifier doesn't blow your ear drums.

On the performance front, it is heart warming to see companies like SMSL continuing to refine the performance of their product, lowering noise and distortion in every way they can. We have seen this progress in just a year or so. All of this comes with no premium to us as consumers. And give us products that can be proven to be transparent to the source music. You hear what was given to you by the talent and production/mastering engineers with no molestation of said bits. Puts a smile on my face from just typing these words!

Given the features, performance and low price, it is my pleasure to put SMSL M500 on my recommended list.

--------
As always, questions, comments, corrections, etc. are welcome.

With the cooling weather, I am thinking of going to the bay and digging up some clams. That part is free. What is not is the wine and spices we need to steam them. So I appreciate any donation to make this possible using : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Why would you buy the Topping D90 or DX7 pro when you get this for cheaper? Honest question this is not rhetorical.

Dexter_prog

Hello guys, I've been reading these forums for quite some time.

I'm considering this DAC, but some people I know advised me against getting it mentioning it has a problem with not being able to disable filters. I'm not sure if this is during normal playback or during MQA. If this issue exists, has it been fixed? My second option is Pro Ject pre box s2 digital.

foxxx0

Forum Donor
In MQA mode all filters are disabled and you can't enable them. (That's even stated explicitly in the manual)
They are only active in normal PCM mode but the differences between them are very little imho and likely not audible.

Top Bottom