• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

aurum

I tried updating using these steps as well. The only thing that happened was that my USB driver reverted to 1.05. Nowhere can I see that an upgrade to ver 2.01 has happened.

waving_not_drowning

I tried updating using these steps as well. The only thing that happened was that my USB driver reverted to 1.05. Nowhere can I see that an upgrade to ver 2.01 has happened.

I am experiencing exactly the same thing...went through all the proper steps to upgrade to 2.01 - installer indicated successful but software version showing 1.5 now on the m500 itself. USB app also showing 1.5????

Toku

Major Contributor
Please do not make a mistake.

Ver.1.05 displayed on the M500 display is the firmware version of the M500 system.
Check the firmware version of the M500 USB interface using the method described in # 1,027.

Last edited:

waving_not_drowning

Please do not make a mistake.

Ver.1.05 displayed on the M500 display is the firmware version of the M500 system.
Check the firmware version of the M500 USB interface using the method described in # 1,027.

When I installed the 2.01 firmware - both the M500 display AND the USB Interface both reverted to 1.05. USB interface also has the volume tab. Perhaps it was updated just not displaying correct firmware version?

s2groove

Hi, I have attempted to update my SMSL M500 to the newest firmware, but every time I put the 2.01 bin file into the DFU tool it always gives me an error code like this:

Device opened.
Ready for firmware update.

Entering upgrade mode...
Upgrading firmware...
0 of 123136 bytes transferred.
TUSBAUDIO_GetDfuStatus: Function failed with error code 0xEF000004.
Firmware upgrade failed!

I've tried restarting the computer and the device several times. I also tried using different usb cables, not sure what I am doing wrong. Please Help.

Thanks guys!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the 2.01 firmware has gone from the SMSL site for the time being.

osasglo

Anyone ever noticed this image on the SMSL website?
Capture2.PNG

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@osasglo No, but does it tell us anything we didnt know?

EDIT- you mean the MQA filter?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, mine doesn't have the filter for MQA
Just noticed and edited my post. Maybe thats in the new firmware that looks to have been pulled? Though I thought MQA prevented additional filters .

Galaxian

I had an email from support this morning saying it has been removed, further to my inability to upgrade. In fact I can't upgrade from 1.05 to 1.08 (it goes through the motions and says its a success but its stuck at 1.05). I know this is a common problem. For those in the same position with Win 10, can you go to Device Manager>USB DAC Devices>SMSL USB DAC>properties>events. Do you see a 'device not migrated' error? Thanks.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had an email from support this morning saying it has been removed, further to my inability to upgrade. In fact I can't upgrade from 1.05 to 1.08 (it goes through the motions and says its a success but its stuck at 1.05). I know this is a common problem. For those in the same position with Win 10, can you go to Device Manager>USB DAC Devices>SMSL USB DAC>properties>events. Do you see a 'device not migrated' error? Thanks.
Yes, from yesterday when I tried to update. From same day, also have "Device Started" and "Device configured (input.inf) below it in the list of events - same time stamp.

Gonzo

I have the same situation regarding firmware update from 1.05 to 1.08 not being successful. I did not try to update to 2.0.1. The device manager shows no errors for me.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am in the camp of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

avoid firmware upgrades until I know quality and or improvement from it

Dean023

I so want to buy this right now but I would have to get it through Amazon asking them if it's version 2 is like asking them for a cure to the Corona !

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I so want to buy this right now but I would have to get it through Amazon asking them if it's version 2 is like asking them for a cure to the Corona !
Why does it matter what version? It works.

Dean023

Because version 2 is the most current with the manufacturers best effort on this product that's why . Honestly if it didn't matter I'd buy a Stello Signature Dac2 from 2012 because it worked wonderful till it melted down from over heating

osasglo

Because version 2 is the most current with the manufacturers best effort on this product that's why . Honestly if it didn't matter I'd buy a Stello Signature Dac2 from 2012 because it worked wonderful till it melted down from over heating
How can one tell what version they have?

Top Bottom