• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Dexter_prog

In MQA mode all filters are disabled and you can't enable them. (That's even stated explicitly in the manual)
They are only active in normal PCM mode but the differences between them are very little imho and likely not audible.
I know that theory, but I've been told there's this bug in the m500 in which, when playing MQA, filters don't get disabled (and you are not capable of disabling them). I wanted to know how true this is.

foxxx0

Forum Donor
That's the first I've heard of this bug. There were some issues with MQA playback but nothing regarding to filters, at least to my knowledge.
And most of the issues should be fixed with the latest firmware, which can be updated via USB connection.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
The Sabaj D5 looks soiled, anyone give that dac a try yet? Anyone issues pop up since Amirm's review?

afico

Hello guys
I am struggling with the impossibility to update my m500 to 1.08 firmware as a lot of you .
Did someone find a solution?
I don’t know if it is the case to send it back.

osasglo

Does anyone know if the volume at 34 still delivers 4.3V via XLR out or if the updates after the review have changed the voltage outputs? Also to get 2V on RCA out the review suggests the volume was at 49 but mine maxes out at 40, any clarification on that?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello guys
I am struggling with the impossibility to update my m500 to 1.08 firmware as a lot of you .
Did someone find a solution?
I don’t know if it is the case to send it back.
See post 954 and pic on post 978

Toku

Major Contributor
I saw the posts and I didn’t find any info . I still have the volume tab and version 1.05
Are you looking at the version number on the M500 display?
See XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel for the updated version.

Attachments

• XMOS Panel.png
    XMOS Panel.png
    217.8 KB · Views: 220
  • XMOS Ver.png
    XMOS Ver.png
    6 KB · Views: 290

afico

Are you looking at the version number on the M500 display?
See XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel for the updated version.
No I am looking at the conto panel .. and in my case no 1.08 !! This is my issue

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does anyone know if the volume at 34 still delivers 4.3V via XLR out or if the updates after the review have changed the voltage outputs? Also to get 2V on RCA out the review suggests the volume was at 49 but mine maxes out at 40, any clarification on that?
Pretty sure max volume at 40 gets 2v on RCA outs. Not sure about the XLR outs after updates, anyone???

osasglo

Hey guys, SMSL released a new driver update today, version 2.01. I wonder what they changed.

osasglo

I just noted one change, there is now a master volume feature and its different form the volume control on the dac itself, anyone know more about this?
Capture.PNG

Toku

Major Contributor
I just noted one change, there is now a master volume feature and its different form the volume control on the dac itself, anyone know more about this?View attachment 57623
I have not yet updated to "Ver. 2.01", but the volume control you point out was set at "Ver.1.05" but was removed when it reached "Ver. 1.08" . I think that it was revived again with this "Ver.2.01".
The M500 had some problems during playback even after the firmware was updated to "Ver. 1.08". Maybe this update includes some of those improvements. .

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Upgrade not happening for me- several times I've run it and get TUSBAUDIO_GetDfuStatus: Function failed with error code 0xEF000004.

Im missing something, clearly.

osasglo

I have not yet updated to "Ver. 2.01", but the volume control you point out was set at "Ver.1.05" but was removed when it reached "Ver. 1.08" . I think that it was revived again with this "Ver.2.01".
The M500 had some problems during playback even after the firmware was updated to "Ver. 1.08". Maybe this update includes some of those improvements. .
Okey, good to know. Any reason why one would want to adjust the master volume to below 0dB?

Toku

Major Contributor
Upgrade not happening for me- several times I've run it and get TUSBAUDIO_GetDfuStatus: Function failed with error code 0xEF000004.

Im missing something, clearly.
Did you follow the steps in the downloaded folder?
Only the Windows version PC can be used for updating.

1. Connect the M500 to the PC with the SMSL USB driver installed with a USB cable and turn on the power.
2. Click "XMOSUSBDACDfu.exe" in the DFU tool folder.
3. Click "Browse ..." on the right.
4. Select "SMSL_M500_DFU_2.01.bin" in the downloaded M500 2.01 USB firmware folder.
5. "SMSL_M500_DFU_2.01.bin" is put in the box of "Firmware".
6. Click "Start" at the bottom right.

Attachments

• Step1.png
    Step1.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 200
  • Step2.png
    Step2.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Step3.png
    Step3.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 224

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Toku yes, exactly that, looks like its going to work then fails with that error code. Rebooted both PC and M500 as well. Would it matter if driver control panel running or not? Ive done it with it running and not, seemingly to no effect.

Top Bottom