• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva RMC-1 AV Processor Review

SynthesisCinema

I don't think anything I said discounted it as a complete POS, just that it is inferior when combined with my use case. I've had plenty of time exploring the XT flavor of Audyssey and although it was noticeably better than without, there's no reason for me to believe that XT32 is going to be that much of an improvement beyond what XT offers. At that point I was basically paying the entire price of the receiver for XT32 since that was what kick-started this upgrade, but I don't think XT32 is worth $800 over XT.

The app seems pretty difficult to use and doesn't have anywhere near the level of control, and the place where the EQ really matters (below 500 hz) is measurably not nearly flat as I achieved with Dirac.

My issues with the Audyssey mic are also very real and most of the justification for sticking with Dirac. I think eventually Audyssey will catch up, though.

It has been pointed out many times that XT32 is totally different when compared to XT. MultEQ XT doesn´t do nearly any correction at lower frequencies, while XT32 does most junk there and less at higher level, with much higher filter resolution. @markus is going to be pissed, but maybe if you can find the REW comparisons so we can finally put this down. :D Not sure if @peng has owned D&M product with MultEQ XT. He has done comparisons with XT32 and Dirac Live.

Edit. Slow.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I have response graphs too comparing Dirac Live standalone (albeit 2ch/beta) and XT32 that shows if Audyssey is junk then they both are, but they are not. I am referring to the 15-300 Hz range. The Audyssey editor app allows one to set the freq range. Anyway, we are all entitled to our opinions, but that does not always equate to "facts".

Can you post them?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you post them?

Sorry I can only find two of them, that I believed were plotted (using Umik-1/REW) when using the second last Beta version before they launch the final product. I tried using the last/newest Beta version but it didn't work, and before I could get help from Flavio, it expired.

Attachments

• DiracVsAudysseyVsOff_LS50.jpg
    DiracVsAudysseyVsOff_LS50.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 373
  • DiracVsAudysseyVsOff_LS50_2.0.jpg
    DiracVsAudysseyVsOff_LS50_2.0.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 164

QMuse

Major Contributor
Sorry I can only find two of them, that I believed were plotted (using Umik-1/REW) when using the second last Beta version before they launch the final product. I tried using the last/newest Beta version but it didn't work, and before I could get help from Flavio, it expired.

Both did a decent job. If it weren't for that peak at app 180Hz I would say that Audyssey was slightly better.

Btw, I'm susprised how low LS50 go on that 2.0 graph. It's not really similar to SoundStage measurement. Are they sitting in corners?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Both did a decent job. If it weren't for that peak at app 180Hz I would say that Audyssey was slightly better.

Btw, I'm susprised how low LS50 go on that 2.0 graph. It's not really similar to SoundStage measurement. Are they sitting in corners?

I would say the driver was about 20" to the back wall and 25" to the side wall. I was measure in Stereo, i.e. L+R from the main mic position. I used either the Mojo or SMSL-SU8 analog out to my AV8801 and Halo A21. SoundStage measurements were done in a real Anechoic chamber so their plots should look much better without any DRC help, except the bass response would not be as extended due to the missing room gain.

By the way, I did not apply any smoothing to the graphs. Bumps could be easily lowered via manual adjustments, dips are tough to do anything about..

QMuse

Major Contributor
I would say the driver was about 20" to the back wall and 25" to the side wall. I was measure in Stereo, i.e. L+R from the main mic position. I used either the Mojo or SMSL-SU8 analog out to my AV8801 and Halo A21. SoundStage measurements were done in a real Anechoic chamber so their plots should look much better without any DRC help, except the bass response would not be as extended due to the missing room gain.

By the way, I did not apply any smoothing to the graphs. Bumps could be easily lowered via manual adjustments, dips are tough to do anything about..

Based on your graphs I would expect both corrections to sound better than uncorrected version. What are your impressions?

doodlebro

I have response graphs too comparing Dirac Live standalone (albeit 2ch/beta) and XT32 that shows if Audyssey is junk then they both are, but they are not. I am referring to the 15-300 Hz range. The Audyssey editor app allows one to set the freq range. Anyway, we are all entitled to our opinions, but that does not always equate to "facts".

I don't think I said it's a fact that Dirac sounds better, just that I would argue it fits my use case better than Audyssey could. I'm glad that you like XT32 but I think you're putting a lot of faith in a system that has big flaws like the cheap mic that measures inconsistently. So far nobody has addressed that point and it's a big one!

Ultimately I don't think you are picking up my point: XT32 would not have been good enough for me and I knew this going in. I knew that I would be unhappy with it based on everything online about it, and I knew that within 3 months I would want a receiver with Dirac. All I did was recognize that path and bypass it by going with Dirac... I don't think I'm missing much by skipping XT32 when you consider that important context.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
We have wondered way way of topic , there's threads for talking about room correction.

Your all free to start new ones of course.

Anything other than emotiva and these measurements and I'd ask you to take it to another thread.

Cheers .

IslandMD

Just a subwoofer out and high pass filter for the mains would be such a great thing in a stereo setup, but only Parasound has made stereo pre-amps that do so. Its sad really.
Don't forget the Anthem STR Preamp. It does front left, right and stereo subwoofer HT Bypass just like the Parasound gear but also has Anthem ARC room correction for 2.2 stereo listening.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After running DIrac at least a dozen times (with 9 measured positions each) using the XMC-1 I found that there was an unexplained effect.
When sitting 8 feet from each Salon2, Dirac seems to spread the sound field making it less distinct when compared against Reference Stereo mode. This effect remained even when setting the curtain to process only below 25 Hz. It would not be surprising if significant delays are introduced and Dirac may be intentionally or unintentionally altering phase.

This effect was not present when using PEQ to smooth out the bass. Individual channel frequency sweeps are not going to be helpful in understanding this phenomenon.

I have run REW with a UMIK-1, UMM-6, Omni-Mic2, all calibrated by Cross-Spectrum Labs. It became apparent, the even small inch movements of the microphone caused somewhat drastic changes to the response.. So unless applying broad frequency tilts it only made sense to work in room modes below 150 Hz.

Here is a measurement of the Salon2's without equaliztion:

UMM-6ReferoSterepMeasurement.jpg

Everybody's room is different and above 150 Hz varied wildly so, Direct with BM for the Voice2 center channel is all I really need. I will try Dirac on the RMC-1 when available. Some of Dirac's PR about correcting speaker phase was troubling. I am not looking for speaker correction in the high frequencies that does not work if I move my head a few inches.

- Rich

Last edited:

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The issue of comparing Room Eq/no Eq soundsystems has been studied by Sean Olive, back in 2009. Even then, when software was primitive, Room Eq was proven superior than no Eq...

....I expected that these are common knowledge here at ASR, and that we don’t need to bring them up every now and then...

...We shouldn’t be discussing these in an objectivist forum, it’s elementary knowledge.

It is my understanding that @amirm wants to reach a fairly wide audience, and that means people with no background at all in acoustics and engineering will be coming and going regularly. Therefore, we will have novices popping up in conversations about components and "audio situations" every day.

How that is handled is a very "subjective" topic. Moderators on heavily moderated sites can monitor, respond, advise, and move comments and threads, although that route is riddled with pitfalls and potential difficulties. But here at ASR, there is a large contingent or regulars that are helpful to those newbies who are not arrogant or obnoxious - but sometimes we show our frustrations those who are, and in a not-so-kindly manner

Regarding your your last comment...ideally yes, but in reality, it's not going to happen. I think we should answer simple questions from new visitors who are novices, and refer them to sources that match their technical knowledge and level of interest. If they persist in refusing to follow helpful advice and "do their homework" I think it is fair to chastise them firmly.

Generally, this forum is like other "good" audio forums in where I have joined and participated over the past 20+ years. Newbies, novices, professionals, or ego-bruised engineers and industry members - appear suddenly and with a wide range of attitudes. And our responses vary, depending on our moods and whether of not we are "having a good day." Thomas only steps in when things go a bit too far. Balancing effective moderation with an encouragement of wide-ranging, intelligent and productive conversations is difficult. (I know that from my days as moderator of three vacuum tube forums at AudioAsylum.com back in 2000-2003.)

Although this six-day old thread following the controversial review of the Emotiva RMC-1 AV Processor with its nearly 800 comments has wandered a bit, many voices were heard and I found much of it interesting. What did I learn, and what do we know at this point in this thread? (Corrections welcome - if I got it wrong, so will others with limited technical expertise!)

1. The Emotiva RMC-1 AV Processor has many interface, software and connectivity problems and requires a cold, slow, hard reboot too often to get things working. It is definitely not a plug'n'play component, although even if everything worked correctly "out of the box", many non-technical buyers would still need to utilize an experienced installer because of the complex nature of multichannel AV systems.

2. The RMC-1 was released for sale as an unfinished product with promised features still not available more than a year later.
and it cannot even match good $100 DAC/HA's with respect to basic distortion and noise specs, and barely keeps them in the inaudible range.

3. Emotiva, like Schitt, is reacting initially with retorts and excuses, but we hope that, again like Schitt, they will chill and offer some really well designed components in the future.

4. AV receivers, preamps and processors (except for the very best like Trinnov) are apparently designed under the thumb of the marketing department who seem to have much more clout than the engineering departments.

5. We are anxiously awaiting the first review that unveils a reasonably priced multi-channel AV receiver/preamp/processor that measures well.

6. And I learned a lot about the various proprietary, license-required implementations of DSP for multi-channel installations.

Overall, I really like this thread - it gives us some guidelines for evaluating future AV multichannel components after they pass through @amirm's quite rigorous testing and measurement gauntlet.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A SINAD of 115dbs is of no use if the device doesn’t offer Room Eq, multisub management and crossover options, and target curve manipulation (headphone use excluded).

But a SINAD of 115dbs is easy and cheap to implement, based on the inexpensive 2-channel devices @amirm has tested. It should be really, really easy for AV component manufacturers to achieve low SINAD, and turn that spec into a non-issue. And then focus exclusively on multichannel sonic features and room correction.

Reactions: jam

QMuse

Major Contributor
I have run REW with a UMIK-1, UMM-6, Omni-Mic2, all calibrated by Cross-Spectrum Labs. It became apparent, the even small inch movements of the microphone caused somewhat drastic changes to the response.. So unless applying broad frequency tilts it only made sense to work in room modes below 150 Hz.

Single sweep is not a good method of getting FR at your LP. You may want to use moving microphone method described in this video.

Room EQ systems will typically do a very good job at phase correction while keeping the response pre-ringing free. I'm sure that is the case with Dirac as well. Unless something else is causing the effect that worries you.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It should be really, really easy for AV component manufacturers to achieve low SINAD
Well, looks like it’s not that easy. But what’s the number we as consumers should settle on and then focus on the important issues?

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
We are here to help people , help themselves.

We aim to be the friendly face of objectivity, as inclusive as it's possible to be without causing too much stress to our valued regular contributing members.

We get it wrong sometimes but anyone who thinks this ambition is not something they share are free to go elsewhere and I'd encourage them to do so .

Back to emotiva.

Top Bottom