• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of IOM NCore Pro PWR Amp

batfunk

Well, I will have the answer tomorrow with the arrival of my Audiophonics nc400 stereo amp:D.New dac Topping dx7 pro is also on the way :p

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Audiophonics just listed another release.

After, their amps based on NC122MP, NC250MP, NC500MP, and more recently, NC400. Now, they just released a NC252MP based one! Only XLR inputs this time.

Most impressive thing here is the price: 439€ VAT inc. Pair this with a SMSL M500 and you get a endgame set up for most usages for only 838€.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...reo-amplifier-ncore-2x150w-8-ohm-p-14185.html

View attachment 38015

View attachment 38016

View attachment 38017

View attachment 38018
Another version listed, with RCA inputs:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...reo-amplifier-ncore-2x150w-8-ohm-p-14278.html

batfunk

How ya finding it?

any idea when they close for xmas?

HI! As I said, Very satisfied :) :
"
Hi! Just received the nc400 stereo amp from Audiophonics a few days ago and it's a great amp! Big, sturdy built, heavy( nearly 5kg of aluminium), big thermic dissipators(no heat) , no buzz or hum(like mentioned by some French owners about nc122mp or nc252mp based one).
Well, for me and it's not scientifically measured, it's totally transparent(much more than my "old" Teac Ai-501). My loudspeakers proved to be punchier, nearly brutal, like if an army of tanks is on the verge to debarking in my apartment.
Most of all, knowing that I can push my loudspeakers to 105 db, without a hint of distortion is very rewarding, even if it will Never happen...
Well, I think I can close my ASR account now... ;)"

BaaM

After more than a week of listening, I think I can give my opinion.
I have to judge the combo of the amp (Audiophonics HPA-S250NC) and the DAC (SMSL SU8) because I previously had an FDA (Full digital amplifier) that doesn't require a DAC.

First of all the manufacturing of the amp is remarkable, the SMSL SU8 looks like a toy next to it.

I listen quite loud, I'm about 60% of the maximum volume at a distance of ~5 meters.

The differences compared to my old amp are audible:
- On tracks with a very high DR, this is the biggest difference, the FX Audio tended to collapse on these songs.
- Sub frequencies, the sound is cleaner.
- More detail, I didn't hear as much difference between good/bad recordings before. I have a lot of vinyl rips and unfortunately a lot of them don't sound as good as they used to.
No other audible differences to my ears.

Overall I'm very happy with it!
It's especially for me the assurance of being able to turn up the sound without the risk of damaging my speakers as was the case with the FX.

PZd96E7.jpg

NmcCcWD.jpg

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I listen quite loud, I'm about 60% of the maximum volume at a distance of ~5 meters.
Remember this is not an absolute comparison since we don't know the behaviour of the SU8 volume (Voltage/dBu).
It's especially for me the assurance of being able to turn up the sound without the risk of damaging my speakers as was the case with the FX.
Definitely. That's pretty much the same thing I felt with my NC250MPs (even more now with 1200AS2). Plenty of clean power!! You seem to know you will reach the limit of the speakers way before the ones of the amps. :cool:

stefan2305

This backorder on the Audiophonics MPA-NC252MP XLR is killing me lol. They're offering me to order the RCA version instead, which is in stock, but having read the statement from the HypeX spec page makes me really wonder if I should just wait (quoted up to a month), or get the RCA version instead. I'm using an SMSL SU-8v2 and RME ADI-2 DAC so both XLR and RCA options are available to me. I've not seen any measurements on the RCA input of the Iom Ncore Pro that allows me to make a judgement based on measurements. Anyone have any ideas here?

batfunk

This backorder on the Audiophonics MPA-NC252MP XLR is killing me lol. They're offering me to order the RCA version instead, which is in stock, but having read the statement from the HypeX spec page makes me really wonder if I should just wait (quoted up to a month), or get the RCA version instead. I'm using an SMSL SU-8v2 and RME ADI-2 DAC so both XLR and RCA options are available to me. I've not seen any measurements on the RCA input of the Iom Ncore Pro that allows me to make a judgement based on measurements. Anyone have any ideas here?
Well, I have audiophonics nc400 power amp and I tried both connections, xlr and rca. I heard no differences.
If you're not hurry and want the best on paper, wait. If not, order rca one

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
XLR always.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We definitely need some measurements to judge. Because, if balanced is clearly the way to go in NC400 DIY datasheet... I saw no mention about that in NCXXXMP's ones. My NC250MPs (RCA) with ADI-2 DAC worked (and sounded) flawless.
RCA and XLR perform the same out of the ADI-2. Plus, you don't need the extra +6DBU output to drive the NC252MP to max power.
It's up to you... if you're able to wait a bit, or not.

stefan2305

We definitely need some measurements to judge. Because, if balanced is clearly the way to go in NC400 DIY datasheet... I saw no mention about that in NCXXXMP's ones. My NC250MPs (RCA) with ADI-2 DAC worked (and sounded) flawless.
RCA and XLR perform the same out of the ADI-2. Plus, you don't need the extra +6DBU output to drive the NC252MP to max power.
It's up to you... if you're able to wait a bit, or not.

That's actually a really good point. I went through their Data sheets for the entire MP lineup and found only a single mention of balanced connections being the following:

"Balanced or Unbalanced
All Hypex modules are completely balanced for optimal performance. The modules can be connected to an Unbalanced source. To do this correctly, please read our application notes: 'Dealing with legacy pin 1 problems' and 'Amplifier signal input wiring'." - I did not find these application notes.

The NC400 product page is nowhere to be found on Hypexs website so could not find their datasheet on it there. I found it on Audiophonics' website and in that significantly older product it has a rather extensive and, shall we say, firmly toned description of why balanced should be used over Unbalanced.

I guess my lack of patience is driven by the hype and excitement of having just purchased a new set of speakers, Dynaudio Evoke 20, that could use some proper quality amplification. At the moment I'm just running an SMSL SA98e power amp (TDA7498 based) out of my SU-8, which seems to work ok, but it's likely not anywhere near what I should be using to do my speakers justice.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My take: wait for what you really want. Avoid wondering what it would have been like if you only had waited for the xlr version. Actual difference is likely inaudible, but your internal monologue is not. Pride of ownership and peace of mind says wait.

batfunk

My take: wait for what you really want. Avoid wondering what it would have been like if you only had waited for the xlr version. Actual difference is likely inaudible, but your internal monologue is not. Pride of ownership and peace of mind says wait.

Hahaha, so true! An Audiophile is more irresolute than a kid in front of an ice-cream truck:p

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

stefan2305

You're right. Alright. I'll temper myself and give it a wait. Thought about other benefits of XLR in the meantime (being able to do a 9-10 meter run without much, if any, signal loss) if I wanted to keep my RME ADI-2 DAC on my desk and use it's XLR output for the power amp in the living area behind the desk.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Ultimately, I'm already having tons of fun even with my current setup, so I'll just change my perspective to a looking forward to potential improvement when the new amp comes in next month. :) As always, in this forum y'all are great folks!

However, I'm still very curious about the measurements out of RCA. I hope one day we get a chance to see them.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Those Buchardt S400's are interesting speakers, especially when one looks at their size and their measurements. And they are not priced unreasonably either.

Top Bottom