• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of IOM NCore Pro PWR Amp

batfunk

Until Amir test it, there is no way to know if this Mola Mola Kaluga really value several thousand dollars.
Benchmark Ahb2 costs a lot(3000 dollars) but it's Class AB and it's state of the art.
You pay cash the small amount of gain transparency, because it's the price of perfection,finish included.
Maybe it's the case for your Mola Mola Amp... Or not. High end market is full of snake oil.

batfunk

I have nc400 from Audiophonics for 5 months. Apart from a defective power button , quickly changed by Audiophonics (great after sale service).
I can say with authority that is reliable product And cheapest on the markest

Koeitje

Major Contributor
happy for this. Maybe I'm too old for the 'class-D' sound.
There is no class-D sound, its just that you have a tube amplifier and are used to and like the distortion it produces.

d2k5000

Hello ASR users! First time poster, but this site has been a big influence on my audio equipment. It has hurt my wallet though. I went from an element dac to a Topping D90 in short order. I am an engineer like the rest of my family, so I wanted some advice with this amp.

I actually need an amp for my Raal-Requisite sr1-a headphones. These are ribbon headphones that actually require a fairly substantial speaker amp to drive them. It was actually designed primary using the Benchmark AHB2 in the testing process. Unfortunately, this amp is a bit out of my price range.

I am hoping that the Hypex Ncore NC252M could be a decent alternative. the specs of the nc252 are 150W at 8 ohm, but I know that that is peak power. Is the 125 watts that Amir listed in his test the average power, or am I not understanding it right?

Any help would be appreciated.

ferongr

Forum Donor
The power is continuous at 1KHz. In any case, the NC252MP will have more than enough power to power the headphones. I read that the adapter box has around 5.6 Ohm resistance so you should expect a lot more power, around 160W or more.

d2k5000

The power is continuous at 1KHz. In any case, the NC252MP will have more than enough power to power the headphones. I read that the adapter box has around 5.6 Ohm resistance so you should expect a lot more power, around 160W or more.

Thanks for the quick response,

Here is some info directly from their lead engineer. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raal-ribbon-headphones-srh1a.890603/page-5

"To develop 450 mW of power at 0.018 Ohms load, we need 5 Amps RMS.
Loudspeaker amplifiers can easily deliver 5 AmpsRMS current.
A good example is a 100W / 8 Ohm (200 W / 4 Ohms) amp that is loaded by 5.6 Ohms. At that load, it will deliver 140W RMS and the Current will be 5 Amps RMS. There are many amplifiers like that out there."

It sounds like it it may be a good match. It should be a step up over what I am currently using.

While browsing the updated Denon AVR-X4700H review, I came across Daze's post here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...0-avr-review-updated.14493/page-8#post-446564

Since it's really a question about the NC252MP's performance and not the X4700's, I figured this would be a better place to re-ask it. I'm pretty new to this stuff, so pardon my ignorance. I only learned the relationship between a DAC's output voltage and how the Amp deals with said input voltage with the last week.

Are those 1.66V RMS / 2.34V Peak values for maximum output confirmed in the real world? You only need that 1.66 voltage if you trying to achieve 150 watts into the speakers, correct? Lower dB volume/wattage means less voltage needed?

I am also interested in the Denon AVR-X4700H for use with some NC252MP amps. Since the X4700 clips above 1.4v with the standard pre-outs, does that technically make the NC252MP a bad amp to use with it? But if I don't really need 150 watts with efficient speakers, lower volumes and closer distance, then I really won't run into that limitation?

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since the X4700 clips above 1.4v with the standard pre-outs, does that technically make the NC252MP a bad amp to use with it? But if I don't really need 150 watts with efficient speakers, lower volumes and closer distance, then I really won't run into that limitation?
The X4700 does not clip at 1.4v WHEN THE INTERNAL RIGHT AND LEFT AMPS are turned off (as evidenced by the clean SINAD measurement of preamp out at 2.0v). Therefore your external amp would be driven by 2.0v+ of clean preamp signal.

The previous gen X3600 did not clip until 4v or so.....no reason to think the X4700 would either (but we don't have measurements of that AFAIK).

The X4700 does not clip at 1.4v WHEN THE INTERNAL RIGHT AND LEFT AMPS are turned off (as evidenced by the clean SINAD measurement of preamp out at 2.0v). Therefore your external amp would be driven by 2.0v+ of clean preamp signal.

The previous gen X3600 did not clip until 4v or so.....no reason to think the X4700 would either (but we don't have measurements of that AFAIK).
I understood that part, with the those amps turned off. I should have specified that I was curious about the behaviour with the some of remaining pre-outs. For example, with the Center channel pre-out I can't turn off the amp for.

bobopich

I understood that part, with the those amps turned off. I should have specified that I was curious about the behaviour with the some of remaining pre-outs. For example, with the Center channel pre-out I can't turn off the amp for.
If you are going to use x3600 or 3700,4700 not in full preamp mode in the center and surround channels you will have 1.4 volts at around 0db if your channel trim is also at 0db but with the NC252MP you will have it at +3/+4 if your speakers are 88dB so you will be good till -5dB Vol. If I am wrong please someone let me know.

If you are going to use x3600 or 3700,4700 not in full preamp mode in the center and surround channels you will have 1.4 volts at around 0db if your channel trim is also at 0db but with the NC252MP you will have it at +3/+4 if your speakers are 88dB so you will be good till -5dB Vol. If I am wrong please someone let me know.
Thank you! Was hoping someone would reply with a solid answer. I'm not sure how all the math adds up because I'm still new to all this but the Center channel speaker I would want to amp with a NC250MP mono is rated at 92 dB sensitivity and is 8 ohms, if that helps.

thetrystero

I was thinking of getting a Yamaha integrated (wxa-50 or a-s501) to drive the elac dbr 62 when I stumbled across this hypex amp. Now I'm thinking if I pair the topping e30 with the audiophonics 252, will that get me better performance than either of the Yamahas? Also does the audiophonics have a high pass filter for subs?

ferongr

Forum Donor
The Audiophonics has no highpass sub outputs or any of the niceties of integrated amps like multiple inputs or recording outputs. The highpass on my old A-S501 was just that, a highpass filter (no lowpass for the main speaker output) that was pretty useless for the most common use case of connecting a powered subwoofer as those already have variable highpass filters implemented. Not to mention that the fixed 80Hz frequency setting of the Yamaha does not work well in my case, as I measure better bass response in the room with the subwoofer set to around 60Hz, since that's where the DBRs start dropping in output.

Furthermore, I don't know about the WXA-50, but the DAC on the Yamaha driven by S-PDIF optical was subpar with annoying audible hiss (in addition to the very slight hiss of the analog inputs), and that started getting tiring during quarantine when I was sitting at the computer for long times. During the summer, the residual heat production is also noticeable, resulting in 35W more power consumption from my room's AC unit (in addition to the 70-90W of power consumed by the amp itself idling).

thetrystero

The Audiophonics has no highpass sub outputs or any of the niceties of integrated amps like multiple inputs or recording outputs. The highpass on my old A-S501 was just that, a highpass filter (no lowpass for the main speaker output) that was pretty useless for the most common use case of connecting a powered subwoofer as those already have variable highpass filters implemented. Not to mention that the fixed 80Hz frequency setting of the Yamaha does not work well in my case, as I measure better bass response in the room with the subwoofer set to around 60Hz, since that's where the DBRs start dropping in output.

Furthermore, I don't know about the WXA-50, but the DAC on the Yamaha driven by S-PDIF optical was subpar with annoying audible hiss (in addition to the very slight hiss of the analog inputs), and that started getting tiring during quarantine when I was sitting at the computer for long times. During the summer, the residual heat production is also noticeable, resulting in 35W more power consumption from my room's AC unit (in addition to the 70-90W of power consumed by the amp itself idling).

so just to confirm the nc252mp+topping combo will outperform any of the yamaha integrateds correct?
how will i modify the nc252mp+topping combo to accept subwoofer?

cursive

Forum Donor
so just to confirm the nc252mp+topping combo will outperform any of the yamaha integrateds correct?
how will i modify the nc252mp+topping combo to accept subwoofer?

I would say yes, the nc252 plus topping would definitely out perform a yamaha integrated. As for how to connect it, do you already have the subwoofer? If so what model?

The connections on the subwoofer are going to dictate your options for getting it connected.

thetrystero

I would say yes, the nc252 plus topping would definitely out perform a yamaha integrated. As for how to connect it, do you already have the subwoofer? If so what model?

The connections on the subwoofer are going to dictate your options for getting it connected.
i have not gotten a subwoofer yet. i've read good things about the svs but i think it's beyond my budget, so i may settle for an elac s8 or s10. i believe these have a low pass cross-over switch. but the audiophonics don't have a input for the subwoofer. how will i remedy this?

cursive

Forum Donor
i have not gotten a subwoofer yet. i've read good things about the svs but i think it's beyond my budget, so i may settle for an elac s8 or s10. i believe these have a low pass cross-over switch. but the audiophonics don't have a input for the subwoofer. how will i remedy this?

With a subwoofer like that, you have two options. You can use an RCA splitter, and split the signal off to the subwoofer, and use the level knob on the subwoofer to balance the volume level. The other option would be to use a dac that has two outputs, like xlr, and rca. XLR to the power amplifier, and RCA to the subwoofer, and adjust the level on the subwoofer.

Not sure if this is the subwoofer you mean, I googled elac s10? So that's what I'm basing my info off of. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1416662-REG/elac_ds102_bk_debut_s10_10_200w.html

thetrystero

With a subwoofer like that, you have two options. You can use an RCA splitter, and split the signal off to the subwoofer, and use the level knob on the subwoofer to balance the volume level. The other option would be to use a dac that has two outputs, like xlr, and rca. XLR to the power amplifier, and RCA to the subwoofer, and adjust the level on the subwoofer.

Not sure if this is the subwoofer you mean, I googled elac s10? So that's what I'm basing my info off of. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1416662-REG/elac_ds102_bk_debut_s10_10_200w.html
yes, that's the woofer.
interesting. so this means that most subs are active? i do not need to pass them through the amp? so basically the circuitry inside of any integrated amp with a woofer input is just a splitter?

the e30 doesn't have two outputs so i guess i'll need a splitter. does the splitter degrade the quality at all?

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I tried eliminating my Cambridge Audio integrated and use my Topping DX7Pro as my preamp, with XLR outs to my new Hypex amp and RCA outs to my powered subs. Reasoning was eliminating a higher distortion component and cabling will improve sound - going for a super low SINAD system.

It did not work as I expected. I was unable to compensate for the higher voltage output on the xlr, so I could never get the subs to dial in correctly. I could adjust the sub levels (on the subs) for one volume level, but they (subs and speakers) tended to gain up at separate rates (using volume on Topping DAC/Pre), so sub level compared to everything else differed depending on volume setting.

Putting the CA Integrated back into the chain as just a pre-amp, and using the sub out on the CA was a much better sounding solution - subs were much more present and stayed consistent at different volumes. This is even when splitting the rca sub-out on the CA (1 to 2). The subs were receiving plenty of level even when split.

So, lesson I learned is that even though it looks good on paper, there are many usability factors that can come into play. I may have introduced a little more distortion into the chain by putting the CA back in a pre-amp (likely not audible), but the way the CA handled the sub signal made for a much better sounding system.

Food for thought.

Top Bottom