• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of IOM NCore Pro PWR Amp

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Awesome! I considered this myself, pretty good deal for a Hypex Ncore 2x150wpc at 8ohms (439,00 €tax incl or $483 USD before shipping)
Rated at 0.0015% THD+N and SNR of 121 - good measurements if accurate

batfunk

Hi! I hesitate beetween various hypex models from Audiophonics.
I want an audible quality sound progress( clarity, sound stage...) from my previous teac ai-501 , similar to teax ax-501 tested by Amirm.
I have paradigm prestige 85 f speakers(4 ohms, 93 db sensitivity, maximum input power 200 watts), small room and I listen to music at 70 db max, 2 meters away from speakers.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/ampl...tereo-class-d-ncore-2x150w-8-ohm-p-14185.html

This one Seems powerful enough but some French users complains about nc250 and nc252 modules reliability(because power module is integrated)
https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/ampl...tereo-class-d-ncore-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14154.html

This one has better measurements, power module are separated(more reliable,easy to replace?) but is it really audible for the user ?
I read here also that 2 nc400 modules powered by one smps1200n400 is better for reliability because it heats less than 2 smps600nc400?
I intend to buy a new dac also(I have a teac ud-501).The price difference beetween those 2 amps is the price of the dac and more(topping dx7 pro)

Well, I'm lost...o_O Thanks for your help! ;)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but is it really audible for the user ?
I widely doubt it could be audible. The entry level Ncores are already transparent enough.

The NC400s do have more power and less distortion than NC252MP, tho.

It's really up to you. If you have the cash, go for the State of The Art NC400s!
I read here also that 2 nc400 modules powered by one smps1200n400 is better for reliability because it heats less than 2 smps600nc400?
I don't think so. You could also go for the monoblocs by Audiophonics, which are similar to DIY kits from Hypex... but assembled!
I intend to buy a new dac also(I have a teac ud-501).The price difference beetween those 2 amps is the price of the dac and more(topping dx7 pro)
Well, the Topping DX7PRO sounds like a good candidate for a balanced preamp, but there are cheaper alternatives (M500).

Last edited:

batfunk

My heart says nc400(even so much power will be probably useless) , my bank whispers nc252...:pwell, it's up to me, both solutions anyway are great. I have room correction with my pw-link, so the biggest improvement has already been made.
Tell me, why I'm not in love instead in
collecting postal cards, why?!! :facepalm:

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Max peak power, yes, but only 50 watts 'continuous' RMS, according to hypex datasheet.
Music is not continuous, it has peaks. For music listening the RMS watts are valid. Only lab testing will force it to thermal protect itself.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have paradigm prestige 85 f speakers(4 ohms, 93 db sensitivity, maximum input power 200 watts), small room and I listen to music at 70 db max, 2 meters away from speakers.
How do you determine "70 dB max"? Seems that you'd be perfectly happy with the NC122MP, possibly with a gain-reduction modification.

batfunk

How do you determine "70 dB max"? Seems that you'd be perfectly happy with the NC122MP, possibly with a gain-reduction modification.
I have a sound analyzer app with calibration on my phone.
According some power amp calculator on the net, I only need 32 watts to get 102db at my listening place.

Last edited:

batfunk

I compared also datasheet specifications of both modules(NC122MP and nc252 mp),thd+n vs power is slightly better at 1 watts(max power I need) with nc122mp(0. 003 for nc252 mp, 0.002 for nc122 mp)
Thd+n of Ablatec module from my teac ai-501 is very dependant of frequency(0.03 at 6 khz,0. 003for other frequencies)

Well,maybe I'll try to borrow a nc122mp amp based to try it. If I perceive a slight improvement over my Teac ai-501, I'll change it. If not, I will be happy to keep my Teac,it's so cute lol

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've just bought the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S252NC XLR.
Will share my subjective opinion here and compare it to my FX Audio D802C as soon as I find out a good DAC (within ~two weeks)

@BaaM , have you received your amp yet? I've been eyeing this one too and it seems like a good value for an implementation of one of the new Hypex modules.

BaaM

@BaaM , have you received your amp yet? I've been eyeing this one too and it seems like a good value for an implementation of one of the new Hypex modules.
Hi @dkinric
Hey guys
A few things have changed since the last time

I had an excellent second-hand opportunity on the Dual Mono version, so I decided to buy it and to return the Stereo version to audiophonics.
Ive received the Dual Mono amp this morning: https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/ampl...tereo-class-d-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-13545.html
It's BIG! Next to it you can see my little FX Audio D802C (FDA)

1cJFE5x.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have any functional speakers at the moment. One of my woofer is being repaired and the delays are much longer than expected...

In any case, I do not forget you and will post my (subjective) feedback as soon as possible (ETA: 2/3 weeks if I'm lucky...).

Last edited:

batfunk

Hi! I'm interested in your feedback too. Like you, I have a non-Hypex small class D(teac ai-501 with abletec module).
Funny, I have a loudspeaker being repaired too but it's a surround one.
I want to know I f you can Hear a real difference beetween your 2 amps(transparency, width stage...)

razamanaz

how to connect the amplifier so that it turns on from the DAC at the trigger-input?

WHO23

Forum Donor
Thanks!
Seems like this is what I need for my newcomers Focal Aria 906!
I just ordered the Audiophonics MPA-S252NC XLR too! They are currently on backorder. I will be trying them out on my newly purchased Focal Aria 906. At least shipping isn’t as expensive compared to the Arias from Homecinesolutions (€270 for the pair before taxes)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ordered the Audiophonics MPA-S252NC XLR too! They are currently on backorder. I will be trying them out on my newly purchased Focal Aria 906. At least shipping isn’t as expensive compared to the Arias from Homecinesolutions (€270 for the pair before taxes)
Tell me what you think when you hear them with that amp. I plan to perhaps get the same for the exact same speakers.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool, will do. Did you get the 906 at the same time @VintageFlanker posted about the sale? I'm struggling to remove the connection caps for the banana plugs.
Yes! But they were shipped directly at my parent's and I didn't open the boxes yet! Will do for Xmas.

orangejello

My heart says nc400(even so much power will be probably useless) , my bank whispers nc252...:pwell, it's up to me, both solutions anyway are great. I have room correction with my pw-link, so the biggest improvement has already been made.
Tell me, why I'm not in love instead in
collecting postal cards, why?!! :facepalm:
I am not so sure that the extra power would be useless. There is a sense of ease with the extra power. I had a fifty watt class a amp that sounded very good. There was no theoretical reason that I know of for needing more power. But the power of the nc400 modules made the sound noticeably more relaxed. Granted there are other possible explanations...

Top Bottom