• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
To wit, you can transfer said networked data to a memory card and put it in a player that has such a card, and play it. Surely at that point, there is no sense of timing as the device is not even reading from the network then.
And now you will need to prove your claim and do some tests to audiophile vs. regular SC-Cards. :)

First our usual dashboard of 1 kHz with just my cheap, generic TP-LINK gigabit switch feeding the Matrix i via Roon streaming:
Maybe this proves that TP-LINK is able to offer audiophile switches to a much lower price. Now I'm glad I'm using TP-LINK at home as well. :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I see. Is he really that sad?
Id rather use the term Unwell, we need to have compassion after all.

Being hopelessly in love with armirm , this is the only way he can get his attention. It must be terrible. All this because armirm did not sign a picture of himself for Andre all those years ago and just looked through poor Andre like he was nothing.

I understand, Amirm has forsaken me too Andre .. maybe we can be friends and support eachother?

All I did was bring his morning tea and the temperature was wrong , I mean whats 2c against true love . It's was years ago now but I've not got closure, maybe me and Andre can help one another.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And now you will need to prove your claim and do some tests to audiophile vs. regular SC-Cards. :)

Maybe this proves that TP-LINK is able to offer audiophile switches to a much lower price. Now I'm glad I'm using TP-LINK at home as well. :)
Me too. Needed an 8 port switch, and ordered it last week. Fortunately I did choose the TP link. Didn't know it was also an audiophile switch. :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

bidn

Excellent test as usual, Amir :)!
For me, "audiophiles" Ethernet cables and switches are the summum of snake oil because TCP/ IP has multiple checksums for detecting errors and resending a packet in case of an error. This is even explained on wikipedia. So for me companies selling "audiophile" Ethernet cables or switches are knowingly defrauding their customers (how can people buy such things??) so I cannot trust them at all and stay away from them.

Keep up the great job unmasking frauds! I

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Anyway - I am willing to follow your lead with the etherREGEN - which I should be getting soon - and try to do some blind testing - just to see if it's as hard as you say. If it is then I think it would have to be returned. Then that testing would corroborate your measurements. Still... if it doesn't... then maybe there's other types of measurements that ultimately need to be made... I have to imagine the science of acoustics marches on...

You could anytime borrow a measurement mic and an audio interface from a friend (or buy them online an return them for free or for a small restocking fee) and do couple of REW measurement: before vs. after. Who know, maybe some differences will come up after all...just give it a try.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You could anytime borrow a measurement mic and an audio interface from a friend (or buy them online an return them for free or for a small restocking fee) and do couple of REW measurement: before vs. after. Who know, maybe some differences will come up after all...just give it a try.
I applaud the sentiment. Measure real results. I believe in room measurements of an effect like this will be far too coarse to turn up anything. Amir's results of the electrical signal turned up nothing and in room noise will cover far larger differences were there to be any.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm totally a capitalist but I'm not OK with it if it's based on false claims and misleading people.

It's a con, pure and simple.
Well, caveat emptor, which I personally find an offensive concept since it basically says "if I am a con man and you don't realise it it is your own fault", is a legal some places :(

digicidal

Major Contributor
Well, I guess if there is anything good you could say about this (which is a stretch): "By doing nothing at all... we're not doing anything wrong". :facepalm:

Of course that requires that you similarly don't consider fraud to be "doing anything wrong" - which does require a bit of sociopathy.

firedog

Wow, this thing is cooking even more. Now the case is up to 41 degrees.
The Uptone people claim that the unit will run warm/hot at the recommended 7V and that this is accounted for in the design and these temperatures aren't an issue for the unit.

firedog

There was already some update that John S came out with. it sounded better but he has no idea why. I do. Cuz he has no clue on what just happened based on measurements! Oh wait. It doesn't do anything as shown above.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57809-etherregen-all-posts-about-firmware-moved-here/
John S specifically said the update had nothing to do with SQ, and was done for technical reasons not related to SQ. He did not claim it changed SQ, he said it didn't.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What if I stream wireless :eek:

firedog

1. John Swenson's day job is designing logic circuits for a networking company. Naturally he knows how to build a switch.
No. He stopped doing that a year or two ago and is now totally independent, apparently mostly designing audio related products.

firedog

The factory seems to be an addition to the man's house.

Gotta pay the bills somehow.

https://uptoneaudio.com/blogs/news/we-are-moving-just-not-very-far
You guys are really going overboard with your criticism.
Alex (Uptone owner) lives in a rural area and runs his own business. He has a couple of employees that help with assembly and shipping. John Swenson works on a royalty basis per unit the designs, lives far away, and isn't an employee. It's a small business, so Alex built a work and assembly area next to his house. What's wrong with that?

If you want to criticize the product, feel free. But why drag all this other irrelevant stuff into the discussion?
Even Amir hasn't said the products are poorly designed or made. I think the opposite is true. And the components inside are relatively expensive ones. Acc'd to Alex the cost of the parts and specialized board manufacture are quite high - in the hundreds of dollars per unit. Don't forget, he's a small buyer - he buys parts for at most a few hundred units at a time. You don't get big quanity discounts that way.

As far as charging in advance - Uptone doesn't take orders and charge before they have the parts available to build the units, or are certain they are on the way. They don't take your money on speculation that they will be building several months in advance.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That's all very fine but the products sold have no influence on audio at all.
So its unnecesary snake oil for the vast majority of users, even the ones that hear 'vast improvements'
As far as I am concerned it is outed (though measurements aren't complete nor is the discussion) and in the vast majority of cases it will not bring any improvement.

Those buying into it deserve to loose the money anyway as they ignored common sense. They can be considered warned when they look further than all the positive mumbo jumbo they prefer to read.

The whole EMC emission and immunity thing is VERY dependent on many factors and is the only viable reason for thinking it MIGHT do something in some specific situations and then only when one is plagued by EMC alike problems. These are usually audible as weird sounds that should not be there and not 'sound improvement'.

If one enjoys the sound more and thinks it is worth $ 600.- to them I am all for it.
Money must roll.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Well, caveat emptor, which I personally find an offensive concept since it basically says "if I am a con man and you don't realise it it is your own fault", is a legal some places :(

Its explicitly illegal here in Oz and I suspect the UK

Misleading or deceptive conduct. It is illegal for a business to engage in conduct that misleads or deceives or is likely to mislead or deceive consumers or other businesses. This law applies even if you did not intend to mislead or deceive anyone or no one has suffered any loss or damage as a result of your conduct.

Top Bottom