• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Black Friday $25 DAP?

TracFone LG Rebel 4 4G LTE Prepaid Smartphone (Locked) - Black - 16GB - Sim Card Included - CDMA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GC5QKTX/

If you are a bit of a gambler, it seems you might get a useable 3.5mm output DAP with this thing for $25. Throw away the sim card. Use it on your WiFi network.

Read thru the manual - didn't seem bad. Removable battery is nice. Other LG phones often have decent audio.. No idea if it does OTG, but I intend to use it with a currently unused NX3s.

I bit. And shall see:)

Edit 11/30 7:30 PM EST
Mine arrived. Good gamble! Listening Amazon music HD with shp9500 into 3.5mm. Plenty of volume and headroom! No need for NX3s!

Simply remove the sim card and throw all the tracphone stuff in the trash. Android 8 seems stock. Starts up fine w,/o sim card. Added my Google account. Enable developer options as usual. Downloaded Amazon Music, login. Works great. Shows device capability 24/48. Listening to Roseanne Cash at 16/44.1 HD.

While the wifi works great w/o the sim, it is 2.4g only. No 5g. But for $25? So what.

You want a cheap small, compact DAP? Grab one while these are $25. You won't be disappointed.

Combine with the $55 SHP9500 and you have a great Christmas gift!

Edit 12/1
Appears to support OTG. Powered microUSB OTG cable and Apple dongle works. (though Apple output to shp9500 is less than native 3.5mm)

Edit 12/2
Finally tried LG with NX3s. While, to me, the LG is plenty loud enough with the SHP9500 directly to 3.5mm, my usually preferred ('serious listening':) ) HP are HE400i. Much less efficient. And the NX3s/LG combo can drive them to deafening level. Loads of headroom. And the 5ohm NX3s impedance really doesn't appear to hurt with this planar magnetic - just as I learned here at ASR.. So I now have a new 'portable' pocketable setup - an alternate to my desktop LG V20/Liquid Spark. For $25 for the LG, and $55 for the NX3s. Very happy! And far better IMO than an es100 and BTR3, both of which I returned...

Listening now to Jimmy Cliff - both sound great. Strong but tight bass on both. The NX3s power is making a difference compared to the internal cellphone amp, for sure..

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Aria 948s are definitely the bigger of the line.
These ones are very probably my next floorstandings purchase. In France, the pair became incredibly cheap these last months. The cheapest offering was 1398€/pair during Summer Sales... Far away from the $4999 retail price I saw in US.

Alert for French/EU folks:

The Arias 948 are back at HomeCineSolutions, at 1398€/pair! Very popular floorstandings, usual retail price is 2500-2999€ or 3500-4999$.

The offer is for the Dark Ebony finish (HomeCine exclusivity):

20191129_193516.jpg

https://www.homecinesolutions.fr/p/12217-focal-aria-948-noyer

For those seeking for an higher end offering:

20191129_194426.jpg

https://www.dealabs.com/bons-plans/casque-audiophile-focal-utopia-be-1769539

Last edited:

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Bought the Topping DX7PRO new for $500.
Ordered through Apos Audio, they immediately refunded $79.99 to price match Drop. Just got an email that they are oos on black, but getting more on Weds. They offered to cancel order or fulfill now in Silver - and refunded another $20 just for the inconvenience without asking. I'm going to wait a few extra days for the black for the good price.
I like Apos Audio, great to deal with and I like their website.

gvl

Major Contributor
HQ Player had 15% off but that seems to be over now. Same discount will be active on Monday with the code cyber19.

gvl

Major Contributor
JDS Labs El DAC B-stock $149, good deal. Overall audio Black Friday deals are a bit underwhelming.

maty

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
About Focal I think you must read:

Focal Beryllium Tweeter Upgrade

http://pqltd.blogspot.com/2016/04/

Focal Profile

Be_FRD.jpg

1114FA936fig4.jpg

CrossoverMod.png

Four electrolytics! With tweeter too :mad:
I never liked the Beryllium tweeter on the 1038be.
I tried the 1038be several times and it was always an immediate show stopper for me.
The Aria is way smoother, in my opinion.
Very pleasant.

What's the potential problem with those capacitors (on this old speakers)? Reliability?
I never heard of any reliability issues on speaker filters...

Top Bottom