• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The criticisms that people have of this site are ridiculous. People can be a little worrisome.

OP
Z

Zerimas

They taste like beer and cider got it on and had a fiesty bastard. What's not to love.

Works for me. They do smell kind of weird though. I bought the last 3 bottles Rodenbach Vintage 2016 that were at my local LCBO (the store that the jackbooted-statists own which has pretty much a monopoly on booze sales here in Ontario) and I've got them sitting in my parent's root cellar. I should probably open one of them sometime.

I always have dreams of seeing how much they change as they age, but I can never remember what the vintage I drank in the previous year tastes like when I drink another one in the current year. I don't think I can make detailed enough notes to do so.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And I think I am the only person on the planet who didn't mind and never had problems with Windows 98 Me. So I've got that going for me.
I think you must have been paid to say that, how much did ya get? PM me your contact please. LOL
So what ever happened to Windows 9 ???

OP
Z

Zerimas

:oops:
I'm not sure if this is lost in translation, is that the Aussie use of the word root?

I don't know? I live in Canada. Do you not call the cellar where you put your potatoes, rutabagas, and other tubers a "root cellar"? I guess houses are different in Canada than in the U.K.. A root cellar is basically an uninsulated room in the basement with no windows. Our basement floor is finished and insulated (actually all of it technically isn't underground because the house built on hill). It even has heated floors. I sometimes forget that having a basement area isn't a common thing in all parts of the world. I guess that is why the "root cellar" has its own designation.

I've never really gone anywhere. When I did go to Europe I didn't visit the U.K. and I didn't go inside anyone's house. I guess I should know what a U.K. house looks like since my mother is always "Escape to the Country" or some other programme about buying a house or tending to the garden. Yeah, you all live in 250-year-old building that were originally a remise or coach house, right? That's what the TV taught me.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't know? I live in Canada. Do you not call the cellar where you put your potatoes, rutabagas, and other tubers a "root cellar"? I guess houses are different in Canada than in the U.K..
Many-most people living in the cities everywhere have no idea what a root cellar is.
Much more of a farm life thing.

OP
Z

Zerimas

Many-most people living in the cities everywhere have no idea what a root cellar is.
Much more of a farm life thing.

I forgot people live in cities. I've always lived in a rural area (like everywhere in Canada is basically a rural area), but not actually on a farm. Well, I did go to the "big city" for university.

I've been isolation for so long I've forgotten other people exist and that they aren't exactly the same as me. Whoops.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't know? I live in Canada. Do you not call the cellar where you put your potatoes, rutabagas, and other tubers a "root cellar"? I guess houses are different in Canada than in the U.K..

FYI, "root" is Aussie slang for fornication. So the term "root cellar" would probably sound pretty hilarious to some folks.... and referring to your parents' "root cellar" doubly so. :)

I live in the Northeastern US and don't think I've heard anybody but Canadians refer to root cellars. I think they might only make sense in climates where the ground (and therefore a cellar) stays cool all year round. Here in New Jersey, our cellar doesn't stay nearly cool enough for that sort of thing.

OP
Z

Zerimas

FYI, "root" is Aussie slang for fornication. So the term "root cellar" would probably sound pretty hilarious to some folks.... and referring to your parents' "root cellar" doubly so. :)

I live in the Northeastern US and don't think I've heard anybody but Canadians refer to root cellars. I think they might only make sense in climates where the ground (and therefore a cellar) stays cool all year round. Here in New Jersey, our cellar doesn't stay nearly cool enough for that sort of thing.

I am not nearly as well-versed on Aussie slang as I thought. Darn. Consider me gobsmacked. Now I feel like a right tosser. Crikey.

I'm in Southern Ontario. I've never been to New Jersey so I am not sure how the climate compares. The fornication cellar probably never gets hotter than about 15–20°C (or I guess 60–68 in nonsense units degrees Fahrenheit).

Hugo9000

How interesting. All this sudden talk of root cellars made me realize that I haven't heard anyone comment on going to the talkies in ages! I guess that's no longer a thing either?

Time to put some Caruso on the Victrola! :D

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you not call the cellar where you put your potatoes, rutabagas, and other tubers a "root cellar"?
I've never heard that term before, it makes sense, I've never lived anywhere with a cellar, if I had it would have been used more for beer wine and cheese, cellars provide optimum conditions for those.
Very few people in the UK I've met have a cellar, the only one I can think of is my brother who's flat in London has one, he keeps his guns down there, which is a very weird thing to do in the UK.

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
I am not nearly as well-versed on Aussie slang as I thought. Darn. Consider me gobsmacked. Now I feel like a right tosser. Crikey.

I'm in Southern Ontario. I've never been to New Jersey so I am not sure how the climate compares. The fornication cellar probably never gets hotter than about 15–20°C (or I guess 60–68 in nonsense units degrees Fahrenheit).
We have the metric system here too, no need to translate :)

Our fornication cellars get right up to around 26-29°C during the hottest parts of the summer. Although, that's partially because cellars in NJ tend not to be very deep, as you can't dig very far before running into groundwater. Although for fornication purposes maybe warmer is better...

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always enjoyed the separated by a common language aspect of the internet, I'm now intrigued by how your will react next time your parents refer to the sex dungeon.

Dogen

Forum Donor
Windows 8 was horrible, in my opinion. I spent some time with it and was absolutely flummoxed, always being thrust into some sort of phone interface and no clue how to get back to using my PC. Now, I used Windows 10 for work, and they seemed to have fixed those issues. I’m getting into SharePoint Modern and Office 365, and that’s primitive in some ways but immense promise there.

I choose Mac for my personal use. But Microsoft has recovered from the horror that was Windows 8.

OP
Z

Zerimas

I've never heard that term before, it makes sense, I've never lived anywhere with a cellar, if I had it would have been used more for beer wine and cheese, cellars provide optimum conditions for those.
Very few people in the UK I've met have a cellar, the only one I can think of is my brother who's flat in London has one, he keeps his guns down there, which is a very weird thing to do in the UK.

Is it weird because he has guns (I know the U.K. has strict laws) or because he keeps them in the cellar? Canada is also very strict and we have "safe storage laws". Basically your guns have to locked in a safe at all times. It is slightly more complicated than that, but that is basically the gist of it.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it weird because he has guns (I know the U.K. has strict laws) or because he keeps them in the cellar? Canada is also very strict and we have "safe storage laws". Basically your guns have to locked in a safe at all times. It is slightly more complicated than that, but that is basically the gist of it.
It's weird he has guns in the UK, especially in the city. Our laws sound similar to yours, they have to be in a locked cabinet that the police have inspected. With young kids he wants these precautions anyway.

OP
Z

Zerimas

I've always enjoyed the separated by a common language aspect of the internet, I'm now intrigued by how your will react next time your parents refer to the sex dungeon.
My father thought it was hilarious. I'm certain my mother will as well. She watches lots of British TV public television. I think she was watching Endeavor just the other day which is the prequel to Inspector Morse. I've also seen her watching Lewis (another part of the Inspector Morse franchise).

Seriously, you Brits do you like mysteries.

I have also resolved to refer to "sex dungeons" as "root cellars" from now on.

OP
Z

Zerimas

It's weird he has guns in the UK, especially in the city. Our laws sound similar to yours, they have to be in a locked cabinet that the police have inspected. With young kids he wants these precautions anyway.

Our cabinets have to be certified or something. Police only come to check on your guns if you own handguns. They'll call you up and make appointment to make sure they are stored properly. "Long guns"—assuming they aren't the kind that our government has arbitrarily (and I do mean "arbitrarily" there is almost no logic to be found with respect to this process) decided are of the "restricted" variety (subject to same storage laws as handguns) don't have be locked up. However, if they are in the open they need to have a trigger lock on them and the ammunition needs to be stored somewhere that isn't readily accessible (though not necessarily locked up). The best practice is to just buy a safe and stick them in that.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I live in the Northeastern US and don't think I've heard anybody but Canadians refer to root cellars.
Oh, it is very common term in US too. People "homesteading" use them extensively. And gardeners know about it, whether they have one or not.

Top Bottom