• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The criticisms that people have of this site are ridiculous. People can be a little worrisome.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Guns and sex dungeons, just another day at ASR.

God bless the root cellar, non of us would be here without it .

An Australian friend was quite surprised when she heard the term ' fanny pack' here in the U.S. I don't know if it still means what it did 30 years ago, but the translation would have been quite rude to say the least.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Oh, it is very common term in US too. People "homesteading" use them extensively. And gardeners know about it, whether they have one or not.
Yep, I was going to comment also. I guarantee you ask anyone living in the farm county of midwest US what a root cellar is and they'll know.
And if they grow their own potatoes and such they probably have one under the house.
A great place to keep your wine barrels too. ;)
But BAD for guns, too damp and too far away if you should need them. :(

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My father thought it was hilarious. I'm certain my mother will as well. She watches lots of British TV public television. I think she was watching Endeavor just the other day which is the prequel to Inspector Morse. I've also seen her watching Lewis (another part of the Inspector Morse franchise).

Seriously, you Brits do you like mysteries.

I have also resolved to refer to "sex dungeons" as "root cellars" from now on.
Brilliant, I think it's appropriate that Baldrick deserves the final word.
https://www.quotes.net/show-quote/9768

I'm amazed I cannot find a YouTube clip of this.

OP
Z

Zerimas

Yep, I was going to comment also. I guarantee you ask anyone living in the farm county of midwest US what a root cellar is and they'll know.
And if they grow their own potatoes and such they probably have one under the house.
A great place to keep your wine barrels too. ;)
But BAD for guns, too damp and too far away if you should need them. :(

If the U.K. is anything like Canada you'll probably end up facing charges in the event that you use a gun for self-defense (against a human). Animals are a different story. I am pretty sure if you are attacked in Canada you are supposed to apologize. If your attacker is also similarly polite Canadian, they'll probably let you live.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you must have been paid to say that, how much did ya get? PM me your contact please. LOL
So what ever happened to Windows 9 ???
To be honest, I worked at a place that let you take home OS installs for evaluation. It's how I got to know Linux. I loaded a copy of ME, and it didn't seem much different than 98SE, and it was better than 95. Or at least it didn't seem worse. But I became fascinated with Linux and used that for several years until MS got its act together with XP. That didn't crash, and had better home use features than either NT or 2000, that were more business and network oriented.

I went through a lot of them. Solaris, OS/2, a few BSD iterations, too. But eventually the techy in me died, and I just wanted something mainstream I could use and forget about.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Provided you use something like Stardock Start8 to make the desktop look and feel like Windows 7, what is wrong with Windows 8.1?
I remember them. Didn't know they were still around. They sold skins that would make Windows look like something else. Also, there's an outfit that sells a product that makes the ribbon go away in Word and Excel. Replaces it with the old drop down tree menu. That's the big thing I don't like about MS. They come up with something 'new and improved', just to mess with people, it seems. That is one of the big reasons IT gets frustrated with them. After you train ten thousand employees, you don't want to have to go in and retrain them on how to do something they used to know how to do, just because MS decides to muck up the interface for reasons no one can explain. Ridiculous.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Seriously, you Brits do you like mysteries.
I love a lot of the Brit mysteries, one of my favorite was Ian McShane's Lovejoy.
My ex and I would look forward to it each week.
Great comedy too, one of the best was John Cleese's Fawlty Towers. Basil --- BASIL

Tks

Major Contributor
The fuck did I just read? Who actually talks like that? Literally would sound like a lunatic if you conversed in person that way..

EDIT: LMFAO of course its SABF, the literal lunatics saying measurement equipment can be fooled, and performance metrics can be faked.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I liked DOS 5 (for it's pretty efficient and easy to configure high memory features); I thought XP and 7 were OK for home use

Dos 6.22/3.11WFWG for me was the best. W95OSR2 was fabulous as are XP and 7.

I use 10 of course on pretty much all my main machines, but they are locked down, updates fully controlled and all the crap stripped off and out.

For the average person, get yourselves WinAreoTweaker -it's a fabulous helper if you aren't into registries...

Linux (ubuntu) had some absolutely glorious OS versions from about 2006 onwards, right up until that Unity fiasco. There's still a version in a laptop in my cupboard that was arguably better than anything before or since, Apple included. Most magnificent animations and graphics- pity they only last 3 years before all the repositories are gone.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I remember them. Didn't know they were still around. They sold skins that would make Windows look like something else. Also, there's an outfit that sells a product that makes the ribbon go away in Word and Excel. Replaces it with the old drop down tree menu. That's the big thing I don't like about MS. They come up with something 'new and improved', just to mess with people, it seems. That is one of the big reasons IT gets frustrated with them. After you train ten thousand employees, you don't want to have to go in and retrain them on how to do something they used to know how to do, just because MS decides to muck up the interface for reasons no one can explain. Ridiculous.
That's something I never understood, why they were forever fooling with the menu structures, UI, menu bar layouts, etc etc.
Is it just an ole guy not liking change, I don't know but I still feel much of the early UI design starting back to Win 95 was brilliant. Most of it was very intuitive and the later building blocks like the added layers of usability in the right mouse click just made navigation faster and easier. Then the genius's at M$oft wanted to rip it all up an start over. It wouldn't be so bad if it was better and improved ease of use but IMO it's not and not near as intuitive as the original structures. Glad that even with all the one-ups-manship that goes on in Linux, for the most part the UI has retained it's structure. The newest KDE and Mate are great and there remains a continuity that doesn't have to be relearned every other year.
I still struggle to find what I want in the Win 10 start menu. :mad::mad:
I believe I could set a Win 98 user down in front of my keyboard and he would be able to get around with little stress.
Screenshot at 2019-08-01 20-54-03_v1.jpg

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dos 6.22/3.11WFWG for me was the best. W95OSR2 was fabulous as are XP and 7.

I use 10 of course on pretty much all my main machines, but they are locked down, updates fully controlled and all the crap stripped off and out.

For the average person, get yourselves WinAreoTweaker -it's a fabulous helper if you aren't into registries...

Linux (ubuntu) had some absolutely glorious OS versions from about 2006 onwards, right up until that Unity fiasco. There's still a version in a laptop in my cupboard that was arguably better than anything before or since, Apple included. Most magnificent animations and graphics- pity they only last 3 years before all the repositories are gone.
Agreed, unity blows.

Hypnotoad

I choose Mac for my personal use. But Microsoft has recovered from the horror that was Windows 8.

The only time I use Windows now is for those programs that were only written specificially for it, everything else is Ubuntu (Linux).

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How well does CD Paranoia work now? I always got better results with EAC and still dual-boot Windows on an old desktop mainly for EAC purposes.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How well does CD Paranoia work now? I always got better results with EAC and still dual-boot Windows on an old desktop mainly for EAC purposes.
For ripping, I've used the GUI k3b for more years I can remember. Never gave me any issues and I've ripped more CD's than I could count. You can set the paranoia mode level in it
k3b.png

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Provided you use something like Stardock Start8 to make the desktop look and feel like Windows 7, what is wrong with Windows 8.1?
I only use win 8 on a locked down corporate machine, so I get to enjoy it's full out of the box experience. I try not to maintain a list of what's wrong with it, not good for the blood pressure.

DKT88

I have put a start app on all my Windows computer builds that emulates the Windows 7 start menu since the day I first was first baffled by the Windows 8 UI. All those graduate classes in human factors down the drain. Reminds me of the time GM decided to change the rotation direction on hand-crank car windows. I currently give engineering lectures and on the first day of class I show up a few minutes early and install Classic Shell so I do not embarrass myself fumbling with an inscrutable MS stock interface.

Top Bottom