• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 19.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 364 76.3%

• Total voters

Bleib

Major Contributor

amix

I hope they also offer the 10A PSU in a double set. Especially since my PreAmp only has 1.5V on output. :facepalm:

Nah, I will need to find a new Pre, that helps to drive my Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE accordingly. Which brings me to another question: I assume more current in equals more current out, roughly? How could I determine, what current my speakers will see at the end? Dynaudio recommends high current amps for their speakers.

Kuuntelija

I have the Sabaj a30a. Do you think that two of this Fosi v3 monos could be a better option with a good dac?

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Especially since the cases are already pretty decent.
They are, but if they could find a more static type design like WIIM have etc, would kind of carry the brand heritage along easier by being more instantly recognizable. Fosi is definitely at the stage now they would benefit from setting a brand image looks wise to differentiate from other similar sized amplifiers. Bit like how successful car manafacturers like BMW have specific design traits that are instantly recognizable.

amix

like WIIM have etc,
True. That WiiM is a hell of an offer. Only thing missing is load stability.

I just discovered a major turn off (attention, could be a pun) with this amp: the auto turn off:

Auto Standby Mode
High Energy Efficiency

I like to keep the PA on at all times. Sounds better to my ears.

Last edited:

Ze Frog

I just discovered a major turn off (attention, could be a pun) with this amp: the auto turn off:

Auto Standby Mode
High Energy Efficiency

Yeah, will be interesting to see how well implemented it is. Done right it shouldn't be bother, to me at least.

sikahr

Auto Standby Mode
High Energy Efficiency

Switch says off/auto/on so keep it on on and you are golden

quocheiser

This V3 mono looks very juicy to do a four (4) amp bi-amping setup with.

I've asked Fosi via their forum if they can make it possible for the Kickstarter campaign buyers to add extra power supplies.

FWIW, I prefer to over-spec my power whenever possible (within monetary reason). Should get more life out of the power supply, less heat, and if lucky some added bonuses of extra headroom or decreased THD.

Would be great to if an online reviewer measures the V3 mono with the 48v/10a power supply to see if there is an improvement to THD similar to what the 3E module showed, as shared by @daniboun here: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...o-v3-mono-amplifier-review.53474/post-1933697

Ze Frog

This V3 mono looks very juicy to do a four (4) amp bi-amping setup with.

I've asked Fosi via their forum if they can make it possible for the Kickstarter campaign buyers to add extra power supplies.

FWIW, I prefer to over-spec my power whenever possible (within monetary reason). Should get more life out of the power supply, less heat, and if lucky some added bonuses of extra headroom or decreased THD.

Would be great to if an online reviewer measures the V3 mono with the 48v/10a power supply to see if there is an improvement to THD similar to what the 3E module showed, as shared by @daniboun here: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...o-v3-mono-amplifier-review.53474/post-1933697
Agree, they should definitely release the 10amp power supplies even if on their own so people can go that route. Probably not needed, but still, I'm of the same mindset of better to be overkill than just enough.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Agree, they should definitely release the 10amp power supplies even if on their own so people can go that route. Probably not needed, but still, I'm of the same mindset of better to be overkill than just enough.
The 10A power supply is already available standalone:

Ze Frog

totti1965

The amp torture testing has yet to begin/be done and so don't get too far ahead of yourself here. There is a reason Hypex and Purifi are more money and bigger.
Well, the Distortion at 4 Ohm 15 kHz Signal 1 Watt or 5 Watts is about minus 56 dB. The Audiophonics HPA S-400 ET is below minus 80 dB! You pay the extra EUR 1.500,-- for the not so shrill 15 kHz Tones.
Sarcasm
;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, the Distortion at 4 Ohm 15 kHz Signal 1 Watt or 5 Watts is about minus 56 dB. The Audiophonics HPA S-400 ET is below minus 80 dB! You pay the extra EUR 1.500,-- for the not so shrill 15 kHz Tones.
Sarcasm
;)
I don't follow these toy amps so I have no idea what you are saying.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
More than 350W at 2 ohms toys?? What killer amps do you have?
We'll see how they do after they have been on the market and run hard and put away wet. That's 2 Ohms for a blip of a second. Not continuous. They cannot be compared to a full size class D amp with low impedance drive and thermal stability to match.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
We'll see how they do after they have been on the market and run hard and put away wet. That's 2 Ohms for a blip of a second. Not continuous. They cannot be compared to a full size class D amp with low impedance drive and thermal stability to match.

Hehe if you would know me you would know that i question the long term thermal stability also. Buuuut at least the amp should behave in peaks very well even with demanding load. So talking about toys? What are your amps?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hehe if you would know me you would know that i question the long term thermal stability also. Buuuut at least the amp should behave in peaks very well even with demanding load. So talking about toys? What are your amps?
My amps are not your concern.

EddNog

Out of curiosity, I noticed it has two swappable op-amps...is one for the XLR input and one for the signal stage, or are both for the signal stage (due to PFFB design)? The ZA3 has one signal stage op-amp per channel, so two since it's a stereo amp, and then a single separate op-amp for the XLR input, and then two more for the subwoofer output. It makes sense that the subwoofer ones are out of the equation, but I just wanted to confirm exactly what the two swappable op-amps are actually for. I want to bring over the op-amps from my current ZA3s to the new V3 Monos when I get them, but I'd hate to have to order an extra pair of op-amps in the event the V3 Mono needs two op-amps just for the signal stage. I am currently running just 1 Burson V7 Vivid op-amp per ZA3 on the right channel only (leaving the left channel one stock), and am really hoping that I would not need to order 2 more to use the ones I currently have in the new V3 Monos.

I also went ahead and ordered a pair of the 10amp, 48volt power supplies from Fosi. I am currently running a pair of 5amp power supplies with my two ZA3s, but when I ordered them, I ordered them without any power supplies, so I will just include these 5amp ones with them when I sell them (after putting the stock op-amps back in).

-Ed

Top Bottom