• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 286 59.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 176 36.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Real whiz at HR too. Found this comment on a youtube video where someone is reviewing some Tekton speakers. They actually liked the speakers, just wished there had been a little more communication over email between order and delivery. I hope Tammy W. sued for putting him/her in a false light. This is a violation of every HR policy I have ever heard of.

View attachment 362511
It's clear the type of person Eric Alexander is. Unbelievable.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Real whiz at HR too. Found this comment on a youtube video where someone is reviewing some Tekton speakers. They actually liked the speakers, just wished there had been a little more communication over email between order and delivery. I hope Tammy W. sued for putting him/her in a false light. This is a violation of every HR policy I have ever heard of.

View attachment 362511
Does he realize that throwing a fired employee under the bus, instead of taking responsibility for the company that he owns and operates makes him look worse, not better?

"As CEO, my policy is..." Okay, but what's the actual process at Tekton the business to make sure this happens? Make vague, legalistic, drawn-out threats at people until they figure out what to do on their own? Hint at a process they should be following, but never reveal it? Promise to make and release a training video that almost certainly doesn't and will never exist?

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
Even my fathers hobbyist grade 3 axis cnc router, has no issue with pocketing.

do we know how thick the MDF used for the bottom is? The "feet" look to be 1/4-20 by 1/2" so anything a 1/2" or less would require a through hole. honestly I'd probably up that that to 5/8" just so I didn't have to worry about blowing out the back of the hole when the threaded insert got pressed in.
Surely he's using 3/4 MDF for the base. Though nothing rational can be assumed with this guy. Whatever the depth, it would be trivial task to cut and glue a triangle for each corner to add thickness to support/seal the threaded inserts.

Like so many issues w/ Tekton, I think we give Eric A too much credit when we try to dream up a plausible rationale for some of these things. The most likely answer is the simplest answer: my bet is he outsources the cabinet work, seeks the absolute lowest possible costs, and has little/no QA or specs in place to define if inserts are through-drilled, let alone check any conformance to spec. That, or his in-house cabinet work is so crude that he doesn't have a drill press or depth stop (or a rabbet bit for the woofer cutouts).

All of this screams dufus-level lack of craftsmanship and engineering to me. Your mileage may vary.

JustCoolin‘

Now if you consider that a subjective review without (allegedly) wrong measurements would make it safer for the reviewer. „I don’t know, they just sounded a bit crap to me.“

Anyway, as a real (not just armchair :) ) lawyer (although not in the US), I wouldn‘t want to represent Eric Alexander…neither from a legal perspective, nor could I get behind this unprofessional behavior.

Last edited:

dday84

Does he realize that throwing a fired employee under the bus, instead of taking responsibility for the company that he owns and operates makes him look worse, not better?

"As CEO, my policy is..." Okay, but what's the actual process at Tekton the business to make sure this happens? Make vague, legalistic, drawn-out threats at people until they figure out what to do on their own? Hint at a process they should be following, but never reveal it? Promise to make and release a training video that almost certainly doesn't and will never exist?

There have been some really bad and/or poor at business persons running internet direct speaker companies over the years. The worst was Mark Schifter of AV123 infamy, who ran fake charity drives through his brand's website and forum and pocketed the donated money himself. In addition, he was not paying suppliers for goods and materials received. He paid the price through, and was convicted and spent time in jail and ordered to pay restitution.

I remember there was a company called Reaction Audio a few years ago that sprung up and was selling mainly large subwoofers at what appeared to be really good prices. However, they were shady and ended up taking customers money and not delivering product and then went out of business.

There was another company awhile ago called Vapor Audio that also seemed to fail to deliver on delivering product to customers who had paid, and then the company folded. I am aware of the irony that the company was called Vapor Audio !

Eric seems to be another in a list of poorly behaving owners, although I guess he mostly just appears to be really bad at dealing with people.............and I do question his claims about his speakers and the few specs he does publish, namely the sensitivity numbers and how low some of his speakers play. However, I guess since he does not publish and explicity state the lowest frequency listed is the -3 or even -6 db down point, I guess technically there may be some output at this very low frequency. I just find it misleading to propspective buyers that more detailed specs are not provided.

Gwreck

I’m wondering if there is some way the audio community could start using the name tekton in a similar way to what became of “Santorum” or to be “Munsoned”? I’m not sure if there is a word for someone who makes bullying legal threats to stifle criticism or objectivity.

doug s.

I think all this is true, but fact that pulls the speakers shows us that he is annoyed at the loss, not unlike the Ford Pinto or Chevy Corvair. He accepts the inevitable.
except there is no loss. this is a stunt, nothing more, nothing less. he could pull half his offerings and still have more models than most speaker mfr's. have you ever, even once, heard of a mfr doing something like this? and the reviews weren't even that bad.

doug s.

doug s.

I think the reason he pulled the speakers is an attempt to "create/ show damages" for his lawsuit.
wouldn't it be easier to "show damages" if the product were still listed, and you could demonstrate sales before, and the drop after. oops - that's being logical. it's just a stunt, and a bewildering one, at that.

doug s.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
wouldn't it be easier to "show damages" if the product were still listed, and you could demonstrate sales before, and the drop after. oops - that's being logical. it's just a stunt, and a bewildering one, at that.

doug s.
"Your tree fell on my house, I demand compensation!"

"But... I saw you chopping it down. You told everyone you were going to chop it down specifically so it falls on your house."

"Actions have consequences!!"

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
except there is no loss. this is a stunt, nothing more, nothing less. he could pull half his offerings and still have more models than most speaker mfr's. have you ever, even once, heard of a mfr doing something like this? and the reviews weren't even that bad.

doug s.
Yes but doesn't have to or maybe doesn't know how to fix them? And no bad press as they exist, except now he wrecked that idea.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There have been some really bad and/or poor at business persons running internet direct speaker companies over the years. The worst was Mark Schifter of AV123 infamy, who ran fake charity drives through his brand's website and forum and pocketed the donated money himself. In addition, he was not paying suppliers for goods and materials received. He paid the price through, and was convicted and spent time in jail and ordered to pay restitution.

I remember there was a company called Reaction Audio a few years ago that sprung up and was selling mainly large subwoofers at what appeared to be really good prices. However, they were shady and ended up taking customers money and not delivering product and then went out of business.

There was another company awhile ago called Vapor Audio that also seemed to fail to deliver on delivering product to customers who had paid, and then the company folded. I am aware of the irony that the company was called Vapor Audio !

Eric seems to be another in a list of poorly behaving owners, although I guess he mostly just appears to be really bad at dealing with people.............and I do question his claims about his speakers and the few specs he does publish, namely the sensitivity numbers and how low some of his speakers play. However, I guess since he does not publish and explicity state the lowest frequency listed is the -3 or even -6 db down point, I guess technically there may be some output at this very low frequency. I just find it misleading to propspective buyers that more detailed specs are not provided.
Wellborne Labs .
Ron Wellborne used to take payments for products and then after a couple of emails ghost customers to never be heard from again .

dday84

Wellborne Labs .
Ron Wellborne used to take payments for products and then after a couple of emails ghost customers to never be heard from again .
It's like the "white van speakers" scam moved to the internet with some unscrupulous people.

It's unfortunate, as there are obviously many very reputable and great internet-direct speaker companies out there. I've owned Ascend speakers for close to a decade now, and they have a very solid reputation (and funny enough Dave Fabrikant's response to Amir's measurements of one of the Ascend speaker models was the complete opposite approach of Eric at Tekton).

I've also met and talked with Dennis Murphy before, and listened to his Philharmonic Audio speakers. He was a complete gentleman and very knowledgeable, and he also has a stellar reputation.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I’m wondering if there is some way the audio community could start using the name tekton in a similar way to what became of “Santorum” or to be “Munsoned”? I’m not sure if there is a word for someone who makes bullying legal threats to stifle criticism or objectivity.

Tektoned. Receiving intimidating legal threats for posting an honest review.

Example: "I just got Tektoned for not giving a five star review at my local burger bar"

Maybe it'll end up on Urban Dictionary. LOL

Dave Bullet

I really think any legal process is a dead end as far as the first amendment is concerned.

An opinion I believe can be provided under free speech as long as the opinion doesn't contravene facts. Saying "I don't like the sound of a speaker" or "the response is lumpy" is an opinion in fact supported by the facts if we determine for example, the frequency response is greater than +/- 3dB from nominal or directivity bunching or cancellation off axis).

I will await the counter measurements from Tekton to prove how existing measurements are flawed and why. I'm sure this would be the first thing a court would require.

In my experience a manufacturer has 2 choices:
a) Publicly threaten and vent only harming their reputation
b) Take criticism and feedback and improve their products or explain why the products perform the way they do

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
In my experience a manufacturer has 2 choices:
a) Publicly threaten and vent only harming their reputation
b) Take criticism and feedback and improve their products or explain why the products perform the way they do
c) Do nothing. Ignore reviewers.

Would have been the most time-efficient, labor-efficient and brand-preserving thing Eric could have done. But its not in the narcissist playbook.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
the idea of low moving mass diaphragms, specifically comparable to the weights of guitar strings and such.

How heavy would the diaphragms be to adequately reproduce the sound of, say, a Caterpillar D11?

Top Bottom