• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

asrUser

Suppose I want to use the front headphone out 3/4 or Pentaconn, how can I simultaneously output 4V signals to the back outputs 1/2? Do the back outputs 1/2 and 3/4 share the same volume settings? Can I also connect another amp to main outs 1/2 to another amplifier and TRS outs 3/4 from the back to active speakers at the same time? All while using 1 headphone connected to the front?

Main SE headphone output is 3/4 on the front. I could use either that or the Pentaconn for balanced mode. According to the manual the headphone out 1/2 shares the same channels like main outs 1/2 on the back.
Balanced headphone mode is possible with Pentaconn. Another possibility for balanced would be an adapter for phones 3/4 and 1/2 together. In that case what would happen to the main outs 1/2, because they "share" the same channels as headphone outs 1/2?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Suppose I want to use the front headphone out 3/4 or Pentaconn, how can I simultaneously output 4V signals to the back outputs 1/2? Do the back outputs 1/2 and 3/4 share the same volume settings? Can I also connect another amp to main outs 1/2 to another amplifier and TRS outs 3/4 from the back to active speakers at the same time? All while using 1 headphone connected to the front?

Main SE headphone output is 3/4 on the front. I could use either that or the Pentaconn for balanced mode. According to the manual the headphone out 1/2 shares the same channels like main outs 1/2 on the back.
Balanced headphone mode is possible with Pentaconn. Another possibility for balanced would be an adapter for phones 3/4 and 1/2 together. In that case what would happen to the main outs 1/2, because they "share" the same channels as headphone outs 1/2?
p52-53 of the manual discusses but think this is key:

21.5 "The second 2-channel DAC in the ADI-2/4 Pro SE realizes a completely independent headphone output, PH 3/4. Channels 3/4 are available on the front as 1/4" TRS (stereo) jack, and as Pentaconn, see below. In any mode 3/4 can be set to any input, no matter which input is currently used by outputs 1/2. Using the SRC on 3/4’s input it can even run clock independent from output 1/2. The Extreme Power output stage is fully identical for PH 1/2 and PH 3/4. Both phones outputs have 3 output levels to choose from: IEM (+1 dBu), Lo-Power (+7 dBu), und Hi-Power (+19 dBu). Output PH 3/4 can also be used as unbalanced line output, see PH Out 1/2. The menu includes an option to turn off the rear outputs as soon as a connector is plugged into the PH 3/4 jack. Default is Mute On when plugged."

Which I take to mean you can be (for example) using optical input and outputting via rear outputs and 1/2 at the front and using USB input on ph3/4 at the same time . I guess hard pressing the vol knob will toggle the volume dial between what is playing on 1/2 and on 3/4 to be controlled separately much like the ADI 2 DAC does with the IEM/ main HP and rear outputs,

asrUser

The manual mentions second 2-channel DAC. Does it mean this ADI got 2x ES9038Q2M?

unpluggged

The manual mentions second 2-channel DAC. Does it mean this ADI got 2x ES9038Q2M?
It has four analog outputs, so it has to have at least four channels of D-A conversion.

wolframite

p52-53 of the manual discusses but think this is key:

21.5 "The second 2-channel DAC in the ADI-2/4 Pro SE realizes a completely independent headphone output, PH 3/4. Channels 3/4 are available on the front as 1/4" TRS (stereo) jack, and as Pentaconn, see below. In any mode 3/4 can be set to any input, no matter which input is currently used by outputs 1/2. Using the SRC on 3/4’s input it can even run clock independent from output 1/2. The Extreme Power output stage is fully identical for PH 1/2 and PH 3/4. Both phones outputs have 3 output levels to choose from: IEM (+1 dBu), Lo-Power (+7 dBu), und Hi-Power (+19 dBu). Output PH 3/4 can also be used as unbalanced line output, see PH Out 1/2. The menu includes an option to turn off the rear outputs as soon as a connector is plugged into the PH 3/4 jack. Default is Mute On when plugged."

Which I take to mean you can be (for example) using optical input and outputting via rear outputs and 1/2 at the front and using USB input on ph3/4 at the same time . I guess hard pressing the vol knob will toggle the volume dial between what is playing on 1/2 and on 3/4 to be controlled separately much like the ADI 2 DAC does with the IEM/ main HP and rear outputs,
What if you want the following behavior:
(i) USB is source for all outputs
(ii) 1/2 outputs to speakers
(iii) Connect headphones in front [which socket?]
(iv) The moment headphones are connected [which socket?], the speaker output is automatically muted and music only outputs to phones

How to achieve this^^ behavior on RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(iv) The moment headphones are connected [which socket?], the speaker output is automatically muted and music only outputs to phones
It will work exactly like this with stock settings (just put Auto Ref Level On)...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What if you want the following behavior:

How to achieve this^^ behavior on RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE?
Plug phones into 3/4 and leave the default "mute with phones" to on.

asrUser

If I want signal on headphones 3/4 and main outs 1/2 at the same time, then I just need to unmute 1/2? That's the auto mode then?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I want signal on headphones 3/4 and main outs 1/2 at the same time, then I just need to unmute 1/2? That's the auto mode then?
Not sure I follow you regarding the auto mode bit , but I think the answer to the first bit is yes .

wolframite

Plug phones into 3/4 and leave the default "mute with phones" to on.
Follow-up question (before I drop $2,500 on ADI 2/4):

supposed you ALSO have a subwoofer connected to rear 3/4 (in addition to speakers at 1/2 rear)...
and you want 1/2 rear AND 3/4 rear to MUTE when headphone is connected into 3/4 front.

...is there any way to achieve that?

Does "mute with phones" achieve that?

Last edited:

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It only works when the rear TRS stay on channels 1/2. Connecting a subwoofer that has its own filter and volume control there is no need to use (waste) channels 3/4 for rear TRS.

wolframite

It only works when the rear TRS stay on channels 1/2. Connecting a subwoofer that has its own filter and volume control there is no need to use (waste) channels 3/4 for rear TRS.
Seeing that you are affiliated with RME (awesome!) -- could RME add in software a toggle to "mute all rear outputs on phones insert"?

Here is why it is important to me:
(i) my sub lacks pass-through (ie it does not have outputs to carry signal further)
(ii) even if my sub had passthrough, I would like to avoid multiple steps in signal path. ideal case: RME splits frequencies between speakers (1/2) and sub (3/4)
(iii) ...and, all the while, I plug/unplug headphones = and enjoy mute on rear outs

Having everything included in one device is what would help me justify $2,500 on RME 2/4.
If I have to buy a separate active crossover (eg miniDSP), then it is challenging to *also* purchase the 2/4 for my use case...

Thoughts welcome?

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I don't see why the sub needs pass-through. Your normal speakers go to XLR, the sub to TRS...

What you want needs a separate settings page and PEQ settings for the states 3/4 rear and 3/4 Phones. That will definitely not be possible.

wolframite

I don't see why the sub needs pass-through. Your normal speakers go to XLR, the sub to TRS...

What you want needs a separate settings page and PEQ settings for the states 3/4 rear and 3/4 Phones. That will definitely not be possible.
Separate PEQ settings – yeah, I get why this is impossible.

How about implementing this by automatically loading a saved presets within the same PEQ settings?
eg. "load preset on Phones connected" = once phones are connected, applies a given preset to the same out (eg 3/4)

Comfortable? Luxurious? Yes! :)

asrUser

So volume settings of 3/4 and 3/4 Phones are also coupled? The manual didn't say so or maybe it's drawn on one of the diagrams which I don't really understand anyway. The texts only mentioned 1/2 Phones and 1/2 rear being coupled.

unpluggged

Separate PEQ settings – yeah, I get why this is impossible.
Why should this be impossible? This is how it already works with the ADI-2 DAC and the ADI-2 Pro (with PH 1/2 and line out): when you toggle between phones and line outputs for the same channel pair, their settings are saved and loaded separately, including PEQ, tone controls, balance, loudness, volume, ref level, etc. Only if you disable output toggling, the settings are obviously shared.

Here is the illustration of separate pages of the remote app for each of the outputs. Line out is active, PH 1/2 is inactive, but their settings are independent, so if I press the toggle button, the settings will apply accordingly.

1705599016105.png
1705599036739.png

wolframite

Why should this be impossible? This is how it already works with the ADI-2 DAC and the ADI-2 Pro (with PH 1/2 and line out): when you toggle between phones and line outputs for the same channel pair, their settings are saved and loaded separately, including PEQ, tone controls, balance, loudness, volume, ref level, etc. Only if you disable output toggling, the settings are obviously shared.

Here is the illustration of separate pages of the remote app for each of the outputs. Line out is active, PH 1/2 is inactive, but their settings are independent, so if I press the toggle button, the settings will apply accordingly.

View attachment 342883View attachment 342884
You are right. If it's possible on ADI-2 DAC (price: $1,400) and ADI-2 Pro (price $2,000) to keep Phone/IEM/Line out settings separate...

...why is it "impossible" on a ADI 2/4 Pro SE, which is using a higher end chip and is priced at $2,500?

MC_RME ?​

asrUser

One of the official features of the 2/4 Pro SE is
With independent balanced outputs for Line and Phones, balanced phones no longer mutes the rear outputs. Balanced Line and Balanced Phones outputs can be used simultaneously, even with different sources/signals. The balanced TRS in the back can be fed from Line 1/2 or Phones 3/4 signal path, perfect for handling insert effects during the mastering process.
But whenever I insert headphones into Phones 3/4, then Line 1/2 on the rear goes "off". What is the problem and how to avoid it? It doesn't matter if I use single ended headphones into TRS plug 3/4 or balanced headphones into Pentaconn plug.

Top Bottom