• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

ale76

He does not have an external DAC. So I will go with your suggestion. I don't remember the outlets with those all-in-one Focal Bird systems. Kind of like the KLH's of the 00's. Thanks for the feedback!

Well, I do have another question for ASR members. Is there a path to play select internet radio stations directly, and not through Tune In, or Heart Radio, etc. I just want to type in the url of say, WFUV.org and stream their internet radio stream.
Just make sure your friend’s dac supports a coaxial input, the Wiim has no USB out

Middle Earth

I will get around to it at some point
Now is not the time for me to do it
I see no reason not to do it but you do you
There is mission creep in this audio endeavor
I expect to keep at it and evolve

Redwine

Another question to the experts:

I have a set of Dynaudio XD active speakers, so need a streamer only. Understand the Wiim Pro should be best solution then. But, the speakers have on/off sensor acting to input signal. Will it work with the Wiim, if I use Roon to turn on/off the Wiim from remote?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I use a Wiim ProPlus/Roon with a set of small KEF LX’s I do have to use the KEF remote or app to wake them up/ take them out of standby .
Keith

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've had mine now for a few days, and impressed, should have bought this instead of the CS1 earlier in the year, but already it's exhibiting same issue I had with the CS1, it disconnects randomly from my home network. The solution is to reboot the unit, rebooting the WiFi network doesn't solve the problem (which is what the in-app diagnostics suggest).
As I suspected, it makes no audible difference whether I use digital out into my A-S501 or analogue out, but the PEQ is a big advantage, even limited to 4 bands for the time being.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Networks are the root of all evil !
I have three here and they have been solid since day one, having said that one was reporting ‘weak signal’ which led to drop outs but moving an extender closer to it appears to have cured the issue.
Keith

Bernard23

Networks are the root of all evil !
I have three here and they have been solid since day one, having said that one was reporting ‘weak signal’ which led to drop outs but moving an extender closer to it appears to have cured the issue.
Keith
I know, but tbf the one I have now is as good as anything I've had before. I've got 3 eero routers and using a 300mbps fibre feed. Thinking about it I occasionally lose my sonos system too which is running it's own mesh connected wired into the main router.

Bernard23

My question was poorly phrased. Does using EQ introduce noise and distortion or does this seem to be a well implemented PEQ?
As far as I can tell I'd give the same answer. I understood your original question, it doesn't add any unwanted noticeable artefacts

Overseas

Major Contributor
In terms of DAC and EQ/PEQ, any relevant difference in favor of RME ADI DAC? Except build, badge & other.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here we are.

The review is finally updated with the measurements (and pics) of the final production sample which has been sent to me by WiiM few weeks after the initial review.

Main.jpg
Rear.jpg

I focused on tests where the manufacturer claimed an improvement :

REW THD+N R.111.9.png

Now:
REW THD+N.png

For an apple to apple comparison, I used the exact same instrumentation, yet with 0.5dB lower Trim on the ADI-2/4 PRO SE input. However...

...With the (recently acquired) Cosmos Scaler, I improved the accuracy to get this final SINAD figure:
REW THD+N Scaler.png

This result should be extremely close to AP measurements.

IMD...
REW IMD SMPTE R.92.2.png

Now:
REW IMD SMPTE.png

IMD VS Level:
IMD SMPTE VS Level.png

Now:
IMD SMPTE VS Level.png

THD Vs Frequency:
THD VS Frequency.png

Updated :
THD VS Frequency3.png

tjf

Here we are.

The review is finally updated with the measurements (and pics) of the final production sample which has been sent to me by WiiM few weeks after the initial review.

View attachment 329544View attachment 329545

I focused on tests where the manufacturer claimed an improvement :

View attachment 329547

Now:
View attachment 329549
For an apple to apple comparison, I used the exact same instrumentation, yet with 0.5dB lower Trim on the ADI-2/4 PRO SE input. However...

...With the (recently acquired) Cosmos Scaler, I improved the accuracy to get this final SINAD figure:
View attachment 329548
This result should be extremely close to AP measurements.

IMD...
View attachment 329551

Now:
View attachment 329550

IMD VS Level:
View attachment 329552

Now:
View attachment 329553

THD Vs Frequency:
View attachment 329555

Updated :
View attachment 329554
Hi - thank you for the updated Pro+ measurements! I'm happy with mine -- Just got the Topping NX7 amp to go with the Pro+ and my Beyer DT900 ProX's...
Would it be possible -- or even make sense -- to see what effect (if any) -- using the same tests -- this time with all 4 bands of PEQ used, and perhaps with the bass range really pushed (especially with a low freq wide-band/Low Q boost -- maybe even a Shelf?), in order to see if the new analog buffer output stages can be deal with the boosted low end output of the DAC and what the SNR/Distortion results are -- or am I making assumptions that are not applicable?

I'm not a "basshead", but I suspect many people here are using the Wiim PEQ to get their music content "basshead-approved" thru their Headphone system or speaker systems?

Is this a dumb question?

IndieSynth

How well does Wiim multi room work when two systems are both audible in the same space? Are they perfectly synced? I have a main living space which is U shaped and would benefit from a second system to cover the whole space, but would playing both systems at once sound odd?

Joffy1780

Mine seems to sync up perfectly and I've only used the auto sync option.

ale76

How well does Wiim multi room work when two systems are both audible in the same space? Are they perfectly synced? I have a main living space which is U shaped and would benefit from a second system to cover the whole space, but would playing both systems at once sound odd?
I had no issues with sync while testing pro vs pro plus, but keep in mind that the wiim sw will apply a resample to 16/48 when 2 devices are grouped.

arn

Is there still no smb support? I tried out a year ago, it was great, but mostly i use my nas, and do not like the upnp and co.

aagstn

Is there still no smb support? I tried out a year ago, it was great, but mostly i use my nas, and do not like the upnp and co.
Not yet. It is still on the roadmap but who knows when. I have had good luck with DNLA using the iPhone app. I hooked mine up and it seems like a solid piece of hardware to me. I can tell no difference between it and the DAC in my Modi+. I also ran a turntable preamp through the line-in and it sounds the same to my ears as the preamp direct to the receiver.

arn

Not yet. It is still on the roadmap but who knows when. I have had good luck with DNLA using the iPhone app. I hooked mine up and it seems like a solid piece of hardware to me. I can tell no difference between it and the DAC in my Modi+. I also ran a turntable preamp through the line-in and it sounds the same to my ears as the preamp direct to the receiver.

somehow it is nice… but i already have the rpi4 with raudio/volumio.

Maybe I'm being too greedy, but I'd love it if this had ARC HDMI, and maybe a volume knob. Oh and a built-in power supply.

They were on a pretty good sale for Black Friday, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Top Bottom